Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFromHell View Post
Hi Gadget,
Loving the many faces of your DRZ.
Ghosty
Here's another one!

PS: I've never seen a Z with the plastics cut down before... looks good.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #62
searchin oz
Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Rock up with your bike and have a chat with him, he'll soon let you know what can be done.

I have picked his brain a few times regarding the set up on my KTM but have yet to discuss the DRZ.

I am going for a ride with him in a few weeks so I will get him following me for a bit (as he did when I had the KTM)

He done a mate's DRZ and he seems happy. The fact he is a local makes using him an advantage over others.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #63
Disturbed
Alleged

Oddometer: 72
my rig untill it seized a big end and locked up sliding down the road....

Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #64
Pezza
Stop sookin, just ride it

Oddometer: 339
Wow !

12 months planning ???

A lot of hassle with bike prep etc you're going through for a ride mate.

I took 2 weeks to prep the KTM for my little adventure in the link below in my signiture.
A few days of planning a rough route and some phone calls re fuel availability etc and I was off.

Best tip I can give is leave the bike as stock as possible, chuck on a big tank a screen and some racks, couple gearbags and a tank bag, fuel and water bladder and go for a ride.

Certainly don't need a safari prepped bike to do what you are planning, have a look at what Shank (aka 'legend') just did on a postie and a few weeks prep.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Shank

Not putting you down or anything, just think that you're going through a whole lot of angst and trouble that is not really necessary.

Cheers
Pezza

My ride across oz http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473814
Pezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #65
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezza View Post
Wow !

12 months planning ???

A lot of hassle with bike prep etc you're going through for a ride mate.

I took 2 weeks to prep the KTM for my little adventure in the link below in my signiture.
A few days of planning a rough route and some phone calls re fuel availability etc and I was off.

Best tip I can give is leave the bike as stock as possible, chuck on a big tank a screen and some racks, couple gearbags and a tank bag, fuel and water bladder and go for a ride.

Certainly don't need a safari prepped bike to do what you are planning, have a look at what Shank (aka 'legend') just did on a postie and a few weeks prep.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Shank

Not putting you down or anything, just think that you're going through a whole lot of angst and trouble that is not really necessary.

Cheers
Pezza
I like playing.

The bike would be fine to go this weekend... but I still want to play with it. For me, half of the fun is in the planning... Plus that's when my annual leave is booked for (have to work in with other staff)

I know I don't need a Safari prepped bike- but the bike I own (the one I'm using) was the one I used in the Safari....
One thing I've learnt as my bike's evolved, while you can ride anywhere on a standard bike- there is a lot that you can do to make the journey much more comfortable, and safer. I remember riding an AG200 in the mountains. I went everywhere that everyone else did, but it was extremely rough & very hard work- far more fatiguing than riding my TTR.

Spending time on the bike in the lead-up to a big ride (in my opinion) is one of the best things you can do... That's what I'm also planning on using the next 12 months for; lots of riding.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #66
1 on 1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
so how long do you want take

hey mark
how long do you want to take to do the trip do you have a time line
I may have a guy who maybe want to come on the trip
what do you think we have to get out of our tank in a day. are you going to take your 4 L tank
and what are going to sleeping in a swag all a tent

and what you going to do for cooking your food
have a look at Back country Cuisine
have a look on you tube you may like it

How to Prepare Freeze Dri Meals
How to Prepare Meals Flameless Heater Packs
HOW TO PREPARE MEALS FLAMELESS HEATER PACKS

How it Works
The pack consists of an outer foil cooking pouch and 2 inner plastic heat pads containing sachets of reactants. Add water to a freeze dried meal pouch to reconstitute it and then put it into the foil cooking pouch. Add water to the inner heat pads to initiate the reaction. The sachets in the heat pads contain mixed powdered magnesium, powdered iron and salt.
When water is added to the heat bags the salt forms an electrolyte solution, the iron acts as an anode, the magnesium acts as a cathode, and the magnesium oxidises at an increased rate giving off strong heat. The product will not generate flame or sufficient heat to cause ignition.
1 on 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #67
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Jim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 on 1 View Post
hey mark
how long do you want to take to do the trip do you have a time line What's on your mind?
I may have a guy who maybe want to come on the trip
what do you think we have to get out of our tank in a day. are you going to take your 4 L tank Not sure- may go for a bladder instead- if it's needed
and what are going to sleeping in a swag all a tent The tent I bought for the Tassie trip, but didn't use./cabins/motels/shed floors

and what you going to do for cooking your food Looking into that
have a look at Back country Cuisine
have a look on you tube you may like it

How to Prepare Freeze Dri Meals
How to Prepare Meals Flameless Heater Packs
HOW TO PREPARE MEALS FLAMELESS HEATER PACKS

How it Works
The pack consists of an outer foil cooking pouch and 2 inner plastic heat pads containing sachets of reactants. Add water to a freeze dried meal pouch to reconstitute it and then put it into the foil cooking pouch. Add water to the inner heat pads to initiate the reaction. The sachets in the heat pads contain mixed powdered magnesium, powdered iron and salt.
When water is added to the heat bags the salt forms an electrolyte solution, the iron acts as an anode, the magnesium acts as a cathode, and the magnesium oxidises at an increased rate giving off strong heat. The product will not generate flame or sufficient heat to cause ignition.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #68
drzwalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
drzing

Gday My names is Neil and I own the peterborough Caravan Park, If your passing this way and need accom I can help out with a cabin(free!) if you need, I also ride a drz (65,000+km) I am in the process of replacing my 2000 drz with another drz(2007).
Any way drop in and say gday.
drzwalker (the Doc,DBW)
drzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #69
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzwalker View Post
Gday My names is Neil and I own the peterborough Caravan Park, If your passing this way and need accom I can help out with a cabin(free!) if you need, I also ride a drz (65,000+km) I am in the process of replacing my 2000 drz with another drz(2007).
drzwalker (the Doc,DBW)

Gadget, You mentioned about going for a ride through the Flinders on your trip. Neil is a mate of mine and nobody knows the Flinders better than him, he's a human GPS up there. So if a Flinders trip ends up on your agenda we'll get Neil (Doc) to join us.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #70
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spending some time in South Oz

Quote:
drzwalker (the Doc,DBW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Gadget, You mentioned about going for a ride through the Flinders on your trip. Neil is a mate of mine and nobody knows the Flinders better than him, he's a human GPS up there. So if a Flinders trip ends up on your agenda we'll get Neil (Doc) to join us.
Thank you both for your offers.
I've never riden north of Eudunda... so I'm planning on taking you up on this- and I am allowing for a 'tag-along' ride day on the way through.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #71
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
drzwalker (the Doc,DBW)
Gadget, drzwalker,
I own a 2006 DRZ400 which I like very much and have set it up for shorter adventure rides. I was looking a selling it next year and going back to DR650 as I find the 400 a bit buzzy on the long sections. It certainly handles better than the 650. My question is how much life can one expect from a well looked after and nursed 400? If I could expect to get what you have out of yours I would hang on to the 400. I am planning a lap of Queensland within the next year or so.

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string type question'. But it could save me thousands. As said before in the thread, the 400 is in the shed with a 23 litre tank ready to go.

Who else has an opinion or experience with this?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #72
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Desert Ride this weekend.

Thanks to the wonders of ADV rider, wild0 & I will be going for a run this weekend on the DRZ's.

We're going to talk more about it on Friday (when he gets to my place @ Waranga Shores -aka: Rushworth) but the rough plan is to head for OUYEN on Saturday morning, then get in the sand up to Mildura (-ish area).

We are hoping to be in Ouyen at about midday Saturday; then head back home on Sunday.... If anyone would like to join us, please let me know.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #73
drzwalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Gday Starky14, I would have no hesitation with clocking up the big Ks on a Drz 400.
I replaced the auto cam chain tensioner with a manual one(my Drz was/is a 2000 model and they had problems).
I fitted a kick starter, just for peace of mind, original battery lasted 8 years!!
I over serviced the bike with oil changes done mostly at 500km and the filter at 1000km. That said I have just purchased another 2007 drz and i will be doing oil/filter changes at 1000km intervals.
I use Motul 5100 oil.
I have replaced rear wheel bearings 3 times and fronts once in 65,000km.
Check the chain guide at the front of the swing arm for wear on the bottom side it can wear thru into the swing arm.
Counter sprocket nut comes loose keep an eye on it I carry a spare lock washer.(you can locktite it)
Bottom shock mount onto the linkage doesnt get any grease you have to manually lube(mine flogged out)
I geared my bike up 15/44.
I have had a great run out of my Drz hence buying another
Anyone want to buy a second hand Drz400e one carefully owner!
Seriously I am transfering all the mods onto my new Drz then old faithful gets SOLD
Drzwalker (The Doc DBW)
drzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #74
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14 View Post
Gadget, drzwalker,
I own a 2006 DRZ400 which I like very much and have set it up for shorter adventure rides. I was looking a selling it next year and going back to DR650 as I find the 400 a bit buzzy on the long sections. It certainly handles better than the 650. My question is how much life can one expect from a well looked after and nursed 400? If I could expect to get what you have out of yours I would hang on to the 400. I am planning a lap of Queensland within the next year or so.

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string type question'. But it could save me thousands. As said before in the thread, the 400 is in the shed with a 23 litre tank ready to go.

Who else has an opinion or experience with this?
In addition to doc's post, refer back to posting #22 in this thread for my reasons for not having the DR. Both bikes are 5 speed, so if you feel you need more cubes to eliminate the 'buzzy' sensation, big bore kits are available... I saw a 453 kit on ebay the other day (re-sleeve kit) for under AU$300 delivered. What gearing do you run? there may be gains in there as well.

My bike has done about 15,000km now. As with Doc, overserviced on Motul 5100.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #75
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
In addition to doc's post, refer back to posting #22 in this thread for my reasons for not having the DR. Both bikes are 5 speed, so if you feel you need more cubes to eliminate the 'buzzy' sensation, big bore kits are available... I saw a 453 kit on ebay the other day (re-sleeve kit) for under AU$300 delivered. What gearing do you run? there may be gains in there as well.

My bike has done about 15,000km now. As with Doc, overserviced on Motul 5100.
Hi Gadget,
I had not thought about more cubes as I like the little fellas and I don't like mucking around with modifying motors. My old DR just cruised along at 110kph but the 400 sounds like your ringing its neck but I know your not. I run 15/47 and that is good until you get into the really technical stuff. I ride trials bikes as well and I am very used to the low gearing of these bikes and low throttle settings which catch me out a bit when on the 400 and plonking over rocks in a creek. I tend to let the revs run down too much and end up stalling.
I certainly could go to 15/44 or higher (15/41 for the SM) but then it limits me when I need to do the mountain goat stuff that my mates ride. Yes I can slip the clutch to compensate.

Now if the DRZ400 had a six speed box or wider gear ratios then I would be in heaven.

But I still love my DRZ