Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #76
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14 View Post
Now if the DRZ400 had a six speed box or wider gear ratios then I would be in heaven.
I don't think you'll find a DRZ owner that would disagree with you on that one!

There'll be a bit of a compromise whichever way you go... I'd suggest the option with the least compromise for the type of riding that you want to do.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #77
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2 Interesting few days. (Part 1)

It all started Thursday:
With a ride planned with wild0 for the weekend (6th & 7th), I thought that I'd better give my bike the once-over, take the mousse tubes out, and fit the rack and panniers for the run to Mildura. For some reason I looked at the electrics and found that the speedo light was flickering when I moved the key (maybe I'd wobbled some wires when I turned it!) Anyway, I tracked down that an earth wire had a poor contact.... Then thought that I'd check the rest of them. 4 hours later I'd rewired the whole tower with new wires soldered to the fittings. It turned out to be a much simpler and neater job than my original attempt, so I was satisfied. Thursday night was dead- I'd have to do the rest Friday after work.

Friday:
Will was hoping to finish up work early afternoon, then be up at my place about 4pm. (approx 2.5hr ride) While I was at work I recieved a message- he still had a few things to arrange on his bike, and his departure was delayed. BEWDY- I'd have time to work on my bike before he got there.

After work I was able to change my tubes and fit the racks. I'd arranged to meet Will at Nagambie to guide him to my place via the short-cut. I was just in the middle of checking my tyre pressures &. Nothing blew up, but my CFA pager went off. As we were refilling the fire truck I recieved another SMS... "got lost... near Donnybrook"

We ended up meeting at Nagambie at 8:30pm. I took the van thinking that he might want a break (only got his "L's" on Wed.) but he dodged the roos back to my place on his bike. After having some tea & a bit of a chat, we were back out to the shed. Will hadn't finished fitting his cigarette lighter, so that was first on his agenda. While he did that I fitted my 17lt Safari tank to his bike so we wouldn't have to worry about fuel range. I'm not sure what else we did, but when I saw both hands of my watch were on the 12, I figured it was time to get some sleep.

I have to download some photos, so I'll write more when I get that done.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #78
GhostRiderFromHell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Gadget,

Where in VIC are you located? I wouldn't mind heading out for a ride with you when i'm all healed up to compare bikes.

Ghosty
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #79
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFromHell View Post
Gadget,

Where in VIC are you located? I wouldn't mind heading out for a ride with you when i'm all healed up to compare bikes.

Ghosty
I used to have it listed in my 'Location'... But simplified it for the wider audience.
Waranga Shores (Near Rushworth), North Central Vic.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #80
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting weekend (part2)

Saturday 06/08/2011:
The alarm went off at 0600hrs. A sleep in would have been nice, but I had more important things to do.

The weather forecast was for light showers over the weekend. I guess the BOM (Bureau of Maybe-ology) got things a little wrong… It was pouring. After a quick brekky, we were geared up and on the road in no time….. Cold and wet shortly after that.

We stopped at Kyabram to top up the tanks. When we pulled up, Will said that we’d have to stop somewhere to buy a jumper. After 30km we were already questioning our sanity, but we continued on in the rain to Echuca where we stopped at the wharf for a quick break.

Equipment to this point:
Will seemed please with changing his front sprocket to a 15t (15:47 final drive)
I picked up an R-Jays DAKAR Helmet last week. (under $200 RRP) While it initially felt tight on the ears to get on/off, it was comfortable once in use, and I was very glad that I had the full face shield in the rain..

While my heated grips didn’t keep my hands dry, at least they were warm-ish.
How long does gear really stay waterproof for? Both of us were feeling some moisture through our coats by the time we hit Echuca. (but mine is over 11 years old)
We forgot about Will’s jumper.
I really need a mute button for my ipod when people are trying to talk to me.

By the time we arrived at Kerang the rain had stopped, but we both wanted a break, so we stopped for a coffee and some food. Will looked rather dropped on when I pulled a dry pair of gloves out of my bag! Being a reasonable hour, Will finally got his jumper…. While I realised that my bike suddenly didn’t feel right- Flat front ???? It was Ok when I rode into town. Anyway, I pumped it up and couldn’t find any obvious leaks. As I mostly run mousse tubes, I didn’t have a spare front tube- so it was off to Scrivens Honda for a ‘just in case’ tube. After a quick chat to Tim we had a slightly revised plan- keep heading West to Speed, then follow the railway line to Redcliffs.

While riding on the road never really interested me, once the rain eased up, I was actually enjoying the tour around the countryside. Some of the areas we rode through, I hadn’t been near for almost 20 years… They still looked the same though.

Speed (the town) was when things changed. We dropped onto the sandy track beside the railway line. I find these tracks a great way of introducing people to riding in sand without actually heading into remote areas. I’d only ridden about 500m when I stopped to have a good look at how Will was travelling…. Slowly, and using considerable effort to keep the bike upright and maintain some sort of forward momentum. He pulled up beside me and asked “How do you ride in this stuff?” “Momentum. Keep your weight back, keep the throttle open” He picked it up pretty quickly after that.

We rode the last few K’s to Ouyen on the tar- The 17lt tank was on vapour when we arrived at the servo. There were a few other riders just heading out as we got there. I don’t know if it was the engine mods or my heavy right hand, but I used almost 1lt more than Will for the morning. (Same thing happened on Sunday)

From Ouyen we jumped onto the single trail. We spent some time re-mounting Will’s luggage (He can say more about that if he wishes.) Deciding that single trail may not be the best for loaded bikes, we continued on towards Mildura on the more formed sandy tracks. We were starting to make pretty good time, but it was almost 4pm by the time we hit Hattah… too late to take the planned deviation into the Sunset desert, so we continued on toward Redcliffs.

The view ahead:

Will was doing pretty well, so I challenged him to try the single trail again. He rode about 100m before dropping the bike, then 1m, and another 1m (at which point he complained about having to pick the bike up), then another 1m, then he came back to the main track -spent.

We rode through to a mate’s place in Merbein, got cleaned up & went out for tea (There’s nothing like ‘roughing it’- free beer at the Hogs Breath!) Will was in bed shortly after we got back, while I stayed up being sociable for another hour or so.

Sunday:
The alarm went off at 6am. We geared up and were straight on the bikes- after we got the luggage sorted again.
Given that the Meridian Road was still flooded, we decide to head back the way we came. I told Will that I would take him to some of the better desert tracks (the ones that I know at least) another time- WITHOUT LUGGAGE, and with more time to play.

We stopped for the breakfast of champions at Maccas, then headed out to Redcliffs again. Back onto the sand track………………… but on the way back there was clay & big puddles.

Things were going pretty well until Hattah.

I had a big tank slapper a few K’s later, and Will binned it a several times in the clay, sand & mud…. He apologised for getting mud on my tank, which I found amusing. I had a few close calls that should have put me in the mud- I’d like to say it was my skilled riding ability that kept me upright, but I must admit that it was more luck than good management. When I took these photos, I said to Will “You know, it probably would have been easier if we’d dropped our tyre pressures a bit more!” Oh well.

(Will wanted a photo with his 'L' plates in it.)

Once we hit Ouyen again, that was the end of the dirt. We had a drink, each hooked up our ipod’s and started the long run on the tar back to Rushworth…. In the patchy rain.

Will still had a few hundred k’s to go from my place; I believe that he got home about 12hours after leaving Mildura.

Next time the bikes will be transported up so that Will can get a feel of what the DRZ’s are like in the desert without a load on them.

Will's leg post ride- I believe the bike fell on him at some point.

Gadget678 screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 06:20 AM
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #81
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,428
good read. keep them up.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #82
wild0
Rubber duck

Oddometer: 516
What I learnt about riding in sand.

1). Stay on the throttle.
2). Stay out of other peoples ruts/lines.
3). Stay on the throttle.
4). Don't change lines.
5). Go through the bush, not around it.
6). Go faster.
7). Close your eyes and hold on.
8). Stay on the throttle.
9). Don't fall off in mud!
10). If you see the guy in front getting out of shape you know you're screwed!

Easy!

Awesome weekend all up!
wild0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #83
wild0
Rubber duck

Mark's effort... (the windshield and stickers )

Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #84
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild0 View Post
Mark's effort... (the windshield and stickers )
You weren't meant to take the STOP DROP & ROLL literally though!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #85
wild0
Rubber duck

I took the literal meaning
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #86
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in the early days again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Unfortunately, when I was setting my bike up, I didn't take too many photos of the new stuff before it went on... so some of these pics were taken later!

Once the excess parts had been removed I began to build the bike up.
An ACERBIS rear guard extender with LED light was on the scene very early. Along with some small indicators that I had lying around.

Protection is a priority for me. The bike already had Barkbuster Ego's, and a B&B bashplate. I added B&B Radiator guards:

Case guards, B&B Case Savers, B&B frame guards.

And a full Staintune header/muffler system.

I just spent 20 minutes typing, and deleted the lot

Anyway, now I have to start again... but this version will be condensed & have more photos

I had forgotten where I was up to so quoted myself... It's sad, I know!

I'd kept my MSC Damper when I sold my TTR250, knowing that it would fit onto the DRZ with one of their RALLYE tripple clamps. The benefit of their clamp, is that it also raises the bars to open up the ergos in the standing position. Fat bars are a requirement for the RALLYE clamp.

Standard bars/clamp:

MSC Rallye clamp with steering damper:

The first set of fat bars I bought were cheap, and I just didn't like them (can't remember the brand). I'd been riding with 'flex' bars (7/8") for years, but was having trouble finding any in the fat bar configuration, so I put up with the cheap ones............ Until I went to dial in the suspension on my bike with Smarty (Kontrol Faktory). He'd been training/dialling in his CRF for the Hattah Desert Race. On his bike he had a weird set of bars: FASST FLEXX. The best way to get a look at them is to visit their web site http://www.fasstco.com/moto/flexx but the basis is simple: the bar ends 'flex' when downward force is applied to the 'elastomer' bushings (blue bit in the last pic). The elastomers come in different densities so that you can alter the degree of flex in the bars. Simple when you look at it, but very effective at smoothing the ride out.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #87
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I mentioned early in the thread that I ditched the original headlight. I originally replaced it with a Polisport unit... Once again I didn't take any photos when it was new, so I thought I'd throw these ones in:

Muskerry Motocross park- family fun day, 2008.

AMTRA High country Ride 2008:

Bike on display for Safari Tanks during the HCR weekend.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #88
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Yes, that was me. The problem, as it turns out, wasn't the plug at all... it was the plug lead arcing against the frame, but only under sustained high speeds. It happened again a few days later, but due to the red dust- you could see the scorch marks where the dust had settled on the lead. The plug is still going strong, thanks for your generosity. I never caught you at the presentation dinner to shout you a drink (I had trouble identifying anyone out of their riding gear after 7 days riding).

Progressing to the main event at some point?
No plans to at this stage, but am going this year with Team Husaberg.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #89
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
No plans to at this stage, but am going this year with Team Husaberg.
Support or service? They were a good bunch when I was over there, so you should have a good time.

I have no doubt that it will be an interesting year to be a part of the Safari (I'm not jealous at all...)

Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #90
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Part of the service crew this year.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote