ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
big_sur OP
Tarded

Oddometer: 342
Ducati Test Rides in Leesburg

Just signed up for the "Ducati Experience" in Leesburg on August 7th. Apparently they let you ride around on a new Multistrada (or Diavel ) for an hour or so if you listen to their pitch.

Anyone ever done one of these things before? Are the routes usually any good? I'm mainly just curious about all the techno-wizardry. I figure worse comes to worse, I can at least see how it wheelies
big_sur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Porcupine224
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
the neighborhood

Freedom Park is a collection of ballfields, schools and quick access to limited access highways, Rt 7 east and west, 15 south and the toll rd 267 for speed runs. There are some dirt roads nearby but I don't think they'll be wanting you to visit. Hell you might not get out of the parking...
Porcupine224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
I did something similar on a hyper a couple of years ago. It was a much shorter ride though, about a half hour. The route was decent - they picked about the best roads there were near the dealership. The pace was pretty much speed limit and about 3/4 of the riders doing the demo really had no business on a bike

BTW I'm signed up for a MTS at noon on Saturday (6th), if I remember I'll let you know how it goes

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
big_sur OP
Tarded

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine224 View Post
Freedom Park is a collection of ballfields, schools and quick access to limited access highways, Rt 7 east and west, 15 south and the toll rd 267 for speed runs. There are some dirt roads nearby but I don't think they'll be wanting you to visit. Hell you might not get out of the parking...
I'm actually only in Reston so I've ridden around there a fair bit. Up towards Waterford and into MD is actually not bad. Pretty much as long as we head west and not east from there I think it will be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
...about 3/4 of the riders doing the demo really had no business on a bike
I was kind of worried about that...maybe the back of the pack is the place to be.
big_sur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Signed up myself and a buddy for the Sunday 10:30 Multistrada.

Yowsa!!!
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
superfluke
lurker turned n00b

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone21 View Post
Signed up myself and a buddy for the Sunday 10:30 Multistrada.

Yowsa!!!
How was it? Worth the heat? I was a tactical medical conference in Middletown bravin' the heat from the confines of A/C.

BMW MOA# 156664
superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluke View Post
How was it? Worth the heat? I was a tactical medical conference in Middletown bravin' the heat from the confines of A/C.
Jose,

the test rides aren't until Aug 6 and 7. I'm signed up for the 7th. My buddy is way into the MS. I wanted to hop on the diavel, but they seemed to be pretty booked up when I tried so the MS it is for me.

Hey, 150 ponies can't be wrong.
VAC
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post

I was kind of worried about that...maybe the back of the pack is the place to be.
It'll have mirrors and a bunch of power, dodging idiots shouldn't be a problem. Its more an annoyance when some fool in front of you parks it in corners. On the demo ride I did guys were doing half-speed limit in corners on a Hypermotard S I went for another lap and snuck out near the front of the pack, this was much better and the lead-rider was capable. Still a semi-legal speed, but we played a bit in the corners.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
superfluke
lurker turned n00b

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone21 View Post
Jose,

the test rides aren't until Aug 6 and 7. I'm signed up for the 7th. My buddy is way into the MS. I wanted to hop on the diavel, but they seemed to be pretty booked up when I tried so the MS it is for me.

Hey, 150 ponies can't be wrong.

Yea there's a Duc dealership near my job and there's been a few Multi's running around. I'm not a fan of the look of the front end. I might see about test riding one though. The line for the dealership in Winchester might not be as bad as the one in Leesburg.

Jose

BMW MOA# 156664
superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
maestrowei
n00b saibot

Oddometer: 49
Thanks for the link, spaces really seem limited. Only one I found left is Saturday 3PM for MTS. Hope to see some of you there! I'll probably be the only person who will have a pillion -- girlfriend wants to come along.
maestrowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

If you haven't already, check first on your pillion, most of these rides won't allow you to carry a passenger. A few do, but they usually require that the pax have a MC license, insurance etc.

superfluke, its not a duc dealer putting this on - its a DNA "ducati experience" tour.

I'll be there a few min before noon for the 12pm MTS slot. I'll ride up on either a red monster or a blue H1. I'll probably be wearing black leathers (unless its raining, then textiles).

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Rode the MS at 1030. Great bike. More gizmos and gadgetry than I know what to do with. Fantastic turn in, nice brakes and the engine, oh the engine.

Stuck around and lucked out... one of the 1200 diavel guys didn't show so I jumped on that. Un-freaking-believable. That thing is sick. Torque for days. It would pull from 30-80 in second before you could blink. And man could it handle. Definitely would lose my license with that one. Wifey would kill me.

Great time and Ducati put on a nice event. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The girls were of course pretty. Too boot, they led us on a spirited ride through Leesburg (the 1030 ride moved a good clip better than the 1200).

Thanks Ducati.
VAC
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Cool. The 12:00 ride was decently spirited too up front (I was behind the lead rider). The guy behind me wasn't big on turns and the lead rider and I took off, enjoyed a few turns then slowed way down to wait for him and the pack to catch up, then took off again etc. So the twisty bits were half-way spirited for me anyway I imagine it was rather dull for anyone in 3rd place or further back - I lucked out there.

The MTS was impressive, handled, accelerated and stopped quite nicely. The stock exhaust was near-silent and the motor so refined you'd hardly know you were on a twin. I also didn't like the wind protection (too much of it) or ergonomics (locked in one spot, weird wide bulge at the knees, bars too high/back). I went in thinking that the MTS would be ideal for my preferences and type of riding. Its a great bike, but not quite right for me. Exhaust, some sporty tires, an aftermarket seat and a windsheild removal would go a long way to improving the bike I think. Not sure if there's anything better though - still need to ride an SMT. I'd love a hot-rodded, stripped down naked MTS1200. Loved the suspension and chassis and loved the power of the motor - just needed a bit more visceral sense to it, but I think they are trying hard to get the lexus-buying, Teutonic-motorcycle loving types interested ;)

Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,107
Sounds like a fun time.

Bikepilot- I had similar issues with my bike. A few tweaks and she is perfect for me. I cannot think of another bike out there that suits my needs better. Of course, to each his own, but it is awesome that bike manufacturers are allowing these type of ride events so you can get a feel for the bike before plopping down $20k...

For me, a local dealer let me testride one while my Triumph was being serviced. It was all over after a few spirited turns.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Yes I'm a huge fan of Ducati's business model as far as demos etc, puts all the others to shame.

FYI the MTS1200, when I got on it, had way too much rear sag and turned like a chopper (ok, not that bad, but no where near what a ducati should feel like). I cranked on the preload adjuster (manual suspension model) 'till it started to turn and by the end of the ride it tipped in nicely and stayed there like it had good sense. I'm ~165lbs without gear so I rather doubt that whoever rode the bike before me was dramatically lighter. So if you hear someone from the pre-noon ride complaining about how the white base model wouldn't turn, ya know why

The forks had considerably too little damping too, but that's adjustable so not a knock against the bike at all, it just wasn't dialed in all that well.