User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
guzzimark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
6 bleed nipples on servo

I changed the brake fluid yesterday on my 2004 r1150gs using a link from this site. Everything went fine, but i was wondering what the 6 bleed nipple were for on top of the servo unit under the tank, just for future refence. Anybody out there know????
guzzimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
They're for bleeding the front and rear control circuits. The master cylinders on the handlebar and foot brake. So, yes there are four brake circuits for two brakes.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
They're for bleeding the front and rear control circuits. The master cylinders on the handlebar and foot brake. So, yes there are four brake circuits for two brakes.
There are 6 circuits, you missed two of them on the servo. Each one goes like this: master cylinder to servo, servo to servo, then servo to caliper.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455142

Flushing and bleeding the middle circuit for both the front and rear circuits keeps your servo from dying.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
There are 6 circuits, you missed two of them on the servo. Each one goes like this: master cylinder to servo, servo to servo, then servo to caliper.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455142

Flushing and bleeding the middle circuit for both the front and rear circuits keeps your servo from dying.
Yes, the source of the fluid that issues forth from those six bleed nipples are the front and rear brake master cylinder reservoirs. BMW calls that the control circuit. They call the circuit that leads to the caliper the wheel circuit.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
guzzimark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Excellent replies, looks like i'll be re-doing this weekend.. Thanks again guys....
guzzimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
From my web site:

NOTE: There was a change in the need to bleed all the ABS controller fitting in a BMW service bulletin. Specifically in Bulletin # 34 002 06 (019) dated Apr 2006

Maintenance:
For maintenance work, the brake fluid replacement in the control circuits is now only to be carried out via the control circuit bleeding ports (see arrows in pictures). It is no longer required to replace the fluid via the bleeding ports of the metering cylinder and of the Integral circuit during routine brake fluid replacement.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
From my web site:

NOTE: There was a change in the need to bleed all the ABS controller fitting in a BMW service bulletin. Specifically in Bulletin # 34 002 06 (019) dated Apr 2006

Maintenance:
For maintenance work, the brake fluid replacement in the control circuits is now only to be carried out via the control circuit bleeding ports (see arrows in pictures). It is no longer required to replace the fluid via the bleeding ports of the metering cylinder and of the Integral circuit during routine brake fluid replacement.

Jim
That should be added to the GS Maintenance manual...of course, it's probably already on your DVD's, right Jim?

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
That should be added to the GS Maintenance manual...of course, it's probably already on your DVD's, right Jim?
It is.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote