User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
dualbert OP
I'm not like the "others"

Oddometer: 86
HondaBond HT

I have not had luck with the paper gasket between my right center case and the clutch cover case on my KTM 950 SMR. I have an orange crush thread telling more of the story. It started with the the known 950 water pump seal issues.

None the less, upon my last inspection pressurizing the still closed engine through the vent hose. I noticed air escaping between these cases at the rear water canal/jacket. Previously, (on my second attempt), I used Permatex "form-a-gasket" to help aid the paper gasket. I dont know if this failed as well and is contributing to oil getting into my coolant, as I had a knowledgable 950 friend work on it the last time. BTW, he followed the instructions and only used paper.

The other night, I pulled the case away and the gasket had a tear. From me removing it or already there will never be determined.

So I am now planning to piss on the gasket all together and go with HondaBond HT, and goo the cases together. At this point I have squeaky clean mating surfaces from vigorous scrubbing with acetone and an unknown # of q-tips.

Before I embark with the HB-HT, do you guys have any history using this product? I would like a few opinions before I torque this case back together.

-db
dualbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,148
you need the gasket for the thickness/location. Coat it sparingly on both sides with Loctite 518 and be done with it. It's a little hard to find but here is where I get it. Rotax engine manual got me started/hooked on it.

Here's one source: http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,457
I'm pretty sure Hondabond is Threebond-1194 like all the other brand named -bonds Ducatibond, Yamabond etc. It's good stuff. It should do the job. All the motorcycle mechanics I've worked with have at least one article of clothing with splotches of it on the sleeve because you will always bump into something you've just put it on.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,389
BMW uses ThreeBond 1209, slowly failing all over my bike and replaced with Loctite 518. No more leaks....well just found another one yesterday, I should have plenty of Loctite 518 left.

Expensive here as a kit with the primer, but goes a long way.Loctite Part Number : 22423 for the "Master Gasket Kit". Got mine through Fastenal but they had to order it.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,099
There are two Honda Bonds. The Honda Bond 4 is the Yama/Kawi bond type. It is sticky & runny. The HT is for High Temp & is thicker than the 4. I use this on 1/2 cases when no gasket is required.
I would use either the HB 4 or the Loctite 518 mentioned earlier.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,457
1194 is used on Ducati case halves and it works, period. It works on Honda cases and so on. Use the Hondabond. Here's the specifications on 1194.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,644
On my HD primary cover, I gave up on replacing the gasket long ago, HondaBond has held the 1 qt of primary oil in now for 3 years, sometimes I dont even put any new HB on when I remove the cover, I just bolt it back and it doesnt leak.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
dualbert OP

so far... so sealed

I have buttoned up the cases with HondaBond HT. The verdict is still out, but I didnt get any air bubbles this time from the areas where water and oil could meet. This afternoon, I'll add the mystery amount of oil with a new filter and see what happens after a short jaunt. I figure a couple of short rides to settle the cases, keep an eye on the radiator and then go for a spirited blast this weekend.

finger crossed
-db
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,275
IMHO, the Hondabond works on everything except where it may come in contact with gas. they say it is gas resistant, but it turns into a runny goo. Don't ask me how I know.

Otherwise, it works well. Lately, however, I've been hooked on black RTV with paper gaskets, or sometimes even without a gasket. It sealed the waterpump on my KLR, and various other places.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
dualbert OP

verdict still out

I'm hoping the HB-HT works as well. Its not the vinegar smell type and is rated for higher heat. I notice that the gaskets where the leak was found are usually baked to the water pass throughs. The remaining gasket areas stay pliable. Its my understanding that euro paper gaskets can be questionable for even BMW and Ducati as well. I figured since many Japanese bikes seal cases metal to metal with a thin film of this goo, that I might try it on an Austrian Uber Craft.

Ill hesitantly peer into the radiator this afternoon and see if there is any fresh puddles. Hopefully only a little residue and will begin to clear up.

We'll see?
-db