ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #61
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,856
150-mile radius is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Well when I started it I thought 150 miles was ok, figured that was within a days ride for anyone around STL. But I think now maybe it could be less. I think it needs to be big enough to get to some great riding away form the big city. And also big enough to get a large number of people. So yeah what do the people that post and follow this thread think???
Just for reference, the KC-area tagfest has a radius of 250 miles from KC. That includes STL, Fayetteville, Tulsa, Omaha, and Iowa City. The game was spun off from the Central US photo tag thread by inmate ajayhawkfan almost 3 years ago (much like this one was from the MO thread) and has 2700+ posts, or more than 2.5/day. There are occasional bogs, including a two-week gap and a one-week gap between tags in the first month, but the game keeps moving. This STL tagfest has 1 post/day in the month and a half it's been on.

I think 250 is a little long, but when you're riding in Kansas, sometimes you gotta ride a while before you get somewhere.

150 seems reasonable to me. It's long enough that it casts a wide net for participants and short enough that a gnarly tag-bagger can still ride all the way across and back in a day. The STL area is dense with history, landmarks and natural features. It includes Springfield and Bloomington, Wabash and Ohio Rivers, the Ozark plateau, Columbia, Jeff, Hannibal. Oh, and St. Louis.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #62
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
150 mile radius

If we get too small, I question if there will be enough landmarks/sights to keep the TAG going?

And, of course, some of us live outside a smaller radius. Which would not preclude us from participating but make it difficult to offer a replacement TAG in an unfamiliar area. Everyone knows their home turf best. Within 50 miles of Cape I know of places that most St. Louis residents would be unlikely to know about. Thus the fun. Each of us have our 50~100 mile radius of familiarity.

The large territory TAG games are offered to those who travel larger distances. Which we all do, for time to time. While traveling we see something unusual and offer it as bait for others to follow in our path.
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Edwardsville has a university, doesn't seem to be there to me.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #64
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Yeah, how 'bout some hints Gleeser?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #65
Gleeser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
justdirtyfun has the right town but it's not on campus.

And BTW, I think 150miles is great. If a guy at the far radius wants a cool weekend run or a long day run 300 miles is nice as far as I'm concerned. The day I collected that TAG I went 480 miles I think. I was done by the end but it was a perfect ride. I wouldn't make it any smaller. Beware though fellas, I like to ride and I'll grab TAGs if they sit stagnant very long. This is an absolutely GREAT idea. I love riding with a goal. If I just go out wandering I get bored pretty easily and that makes a short ride.

Gleeser screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 06:14 PM
Gleeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #66
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

current tag

Pictures and bikes are much cooler than trying to post bike pictures but here goes.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #67
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

new tag

DirtyOlLady and myself think this tag shows a commitment to the future and is well within the 150 mile zone. More info if needed.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #68
DirtyOlLady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Did we make it too hard?
DirtyOlLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #69
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think I know but ain't been able to check it out. A hint or 2 would help.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #70
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

The water in the background of this picture is the Mississippi river. Loving this weather!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
NjoyRidn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey,I guess I have been lurking long enough. thought I would give this tag stuff a try.
NjoyRidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #72
NjoyRidn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ok next tag. I thought this was a cool old road sign that has been around since 1916 according to the plaque.Ya I know my bikes not actually real adventure material but I'm working on adding to the collection.
NjoyRidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #73
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool sign. Bike don't mater as long as the trip is an adventure! Glad to have a new player.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #74
Potosi Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I agree it is always good to have new players. Welcome aboard. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Cool sign. Bike don't mater as long as the trip is an adventure! Glad to have a new player.
Potosi Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #75
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjoyRidn View Post
Ok next tag. I thought this was a cool old road sign that has been around since 1916 according to the plaque.Ya I know my bikes not actually real adventure material but I'm working on adding to the collection.

Gotta go find that one! Lot's of hints there, so let's get out the map and locate it... if only I wasn't out of town working.

Welcome. And, the bike doesn't make the adventure...you do!