Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 05:55 AM   #16
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
My neighbor's border collie goes nuts when I'm on the F650GS, but when I am on the 1150GS the dog doesn't care. My theory has always been that the F650GS resembles livestock (sheep, goat), and the border collie has only one thing to do in life and that is to chase animals (besides barking at everything that moves).
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:11 AM   #17
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,552
Fixing the KLR chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblnhood
Mine has the chirp, its kind of annoying at times. But i havent made too many dogs go crazy.

P.S. Does anyone know how to fix the chirping noise???

Go to the FAQ, print it and call it your KLR bible:

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#exhaust

KLR exhaust question: Why does my bike sound like an old VW?

This is affectionately known as "tweety," and can happen to bikes anytime after a few thousand miles. It seems to appear earlier on bikes that are ridden on a lot of short trips, thereby allowing condensation to remain in the muffler. It also seems to be traced to clogging of the spark arrestor system. The noise is merely an annoyance; it will not damage your engine. Aside from replacing the exhaust system, you can try to fix it:

Take a huge straightblade screwdriver (like 12" shaft), and sharpen the end with a file. Look in the end of the exhaust, there is a small perforated pipe running from the opening to about 8" inside. It has a seam on the bottom (6:00 position) that may already be split open. Using the screwdriver and a hammer, drive the screwdriver into and along the seam, opening it up to within 1" of the end. Start the motor and listen for tweety. If it's still there, make another lengthwise slit at the 12:00 position, start the motor and check. Some people have had to make four slits (at 90 degree intervals) to fix the tweet.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
A number of cows and one moose have shown interest in my Moto Guzzi, so far none of these encounters have turned ugly yet.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #19
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues
A number of cows and one moose have shown interest in my Moto Guzzi, so far none of these encounters have turned ugly yet.
Lord knows what kind of offspring that could create...
CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
stiingya
whats a n00b?

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzinMike
Lord knows what kind of offspring that could create...
Isn't that where KTM's came from???

Sorry, just joking.

But I am a long time Kawi rider. And all the dissing the KLR's get on this website really starts to get tiring......
Old 03-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #21
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,878
thumpers? nah, but a two stroke, oh yeah

I've never noticed unusual reactions from my dogs around thumpers, but I used to have a german shepherd that would attack any two stroke rider he could catch! Yikes!

Another german shepherd I had loved to bark at motorcycles on the road from the back of my truck, any motorcycle. Once, at a red light, my husband was following the truck on his XT600. Of course, the dog (a 100+ pound black german shepherd) was barking his fool head off at the XT. My husband rode right up beside the truck bed and started slapping at the dog's muzzle. This was a game they played and the dog loved it, but I'm sure it looked pretty scary to the other folks at the red light that had no idea that the rider was only playing with his own dog. Bared, flashing, snapping teeth, spit flying and the whole truck bouncing as the dog tried to grab my husband's hand or sleeve.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Eek dead dog

Years ago, I was riding to work on a Sportster, stock exhaust. A big german shepherd came running out of a yard to eat my lunch. He was so intent on getting me, he didn't see the truck coming from the other direction. He got nailed head on, killed him on the spot. Stupid animal and owners for letting him run loose. I kinda felt sorry for the dog.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #23
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,878
bad owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
Years ago, I was riding to work on a Sportster, stock exhaust. A big german shepherd came running out of a yard to eat my lunch. He was so intent on getting me, he didn't see the truck coming from the other direction. He got nailed head on, killed him on the spot. Stupid animal and owners for letting him run loose. I kinda felt sorry for the dog.
yup, poor dog and poor guy in the truck that killed him. I hate when dogs run out to chase my motorcycle or truck. I love dogs, but....

It didn't take me long to make sure the german shepherd that hated two strokes was confined to camp when two strokes were present, but he still nearly bit my husband for riding up into camp on a YZ490. BAD DOG! He got in lots of trouble for that and had to learn to put up with noisy two strokes, or else stay home. He decided pretty quick that noisy two strokes were better than being left behind.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,934
Dogs must be prone to attacking thumpers. Several years ago, I ended up with an ambulance ride to the Coorado Springs hospital while riding aroun Monument Colorado on my XT550. The only things I remember is a great pyranese (sp?) and some excruciating abdominal pain in the ER.
A neighbor of my brother-in-law brought me back to the house. He found me wondering the road. The XT was DOA on the side of the road. I had a concussion and no fargin idea what happened. The ambulance hauled me off and the rest is history.

Why the hell did I buy another thumper?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #25
LostinAK
ADHDventure

Oddometer: 8
I had a few cats attack the rear wheel of a Honda Nighthawk, probably cause it's named after a bird.
My dog loves to go for rides in my the KLR.

Sent from my Galaxy with Taptalk.
LostinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,644
Many years ago a large lab mix dog down the road always used to chase me when I rode by. One day I turned around and chased it back into its own yard through the open gate with the bike, as well as managed a well placed boot up its rump that caused a good yelp. It thereafter decided that there was a larger pack animal that also chased and bit.

Another technique is to quickly slow down. The unsuspecting dog then becomes the chased.
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Years ago a collie moved into my lane . Would race right at me as I rode down , when I stopped it backed off then attacked when I moved on . One day I lost it, parked the bike and chased the dog into it's yard , second time round the house I saw a worried women staring out a window .
It never chased again .
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,934
I don't know about dogs, but my DR makes bitches crazy. I can't ride down a street without having panties flung at me.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Hey all,

For the past few months since getting my KLR I have noticed that dogs that I go by go completely crazy. I commuted on a VX800 by these same dogs for years and rarely would they bark or run at me. Now they are like ravenous wolves trying to take me out. Dogs slamming into fences & spining around so fast to look at me that they almost fall down.

Is this a KLR thing or a thumper thing? My theory is that my KLR is begining to go "tweety" and I can not yet hear it but its like a silent dog whistle.
I have to stop at border patrol checkpoint regularly and have noticed that those drug dogs which are mainly German Shep variety hate the sound of motorcycles in general. I am a regular so the officers take the dog away when they see me pulling up on the GSA. Harleys are the worst according to officers. I blip the throttle on GSA with Yoshy pipe and get all of caged dogs wound up as I pull thru checkout. I have not ridden KLR with open Supertrapp through yet, but I am sure they will love it. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote