User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Mark.F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Day out in N/W England

Hi all,here's a report from yesterdays ride over here in Northwest England.
I'm on holiday at home for a fortnight doing the house up,I should have been fitting a kitchen but as the sun was shining the kitchen fitting can wait a couple of days(when the sun shines here you've got to make the most of it)!
One of my mates & me did a ride from West Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales.
Here's how it went.
We set of down some of the local lanes

Thats Jamie on his 750 Tenere

You can tell we've had a few dry days,the puddles are empty..
We cut up into an area called the Forest of Bowland,going through the local villages

Here's Jamies bike

And here's my thumper

Here's one of the local churches

We kept to the quiet lanes,once you got out of the small villages the roads are narrow with very little traffic.
When you get into the countryside we have "cattle grids" to stop the livestock travelling to far,they do'nt provide the greatest traction when it's wet & your banked over
This one looked quite new

There's a warning sign before you get to the cattle grids,I do'nt think this ones had much paint recently

We went across the tops through Ingleton & up to Ribblehead,it's famous for it's viaduct

Quite a few people were killed building Ribblehead,the wind is so strong they were blown off it
We fuelled up at Hawes and rode over the Buttertubs pass,they keep the signs cleaner over here!

The camera does'nt do it justice but you really do'nt want to bounce down there

Jamie weighing up the drop

We looped around & went up the steepest hill of the day 25%,glad I was'nt on my pushbike
The farmer was out cutting hay in the meadow,it's really steep but you can see the top of the tractor next to the bush bottom right.

After a couple of miles the road was blocked

We turned the bikes off & waited for the farmers to go by with their flock,sheep dogs &quad bikes.

After returning to Hawes we headed to Sedburgh,we were in a group with 4 German & one swiss rider,then after turning off at Sedburgh two Swiss riders on Ducati monsters went by,then a few more German plated bikes.I also noticed cars with Dutch,French &Spanish plates on them,so I guess this part of England is popular with our continental cousins, well they've had good weather this week so I hope they enjoyed their holidays.
When we got to Kirkby Lonsdale we split,Jamie headed home & I went for a brew(that's a cup of tea) at the local bikers meeting place.This place is called Devils Bridge,it's a bridge over the river Lune and if it's your kind of thing you can jump into the river from the bridge here,I had a brew & chat with some of the motorcyclists instead..

You get all types of riders & machines and even though it was a mid-week day there were sports bikes,cruisers,UJM'S & my xt600.
I'll finish posting tomorrow things to do..
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Gundog GB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Better than workin, anyday.....
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Mark.F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got talking to the fella with the Triumph,it's a 1600 twin with a 270 degree crank,he reckons it's very torquey but eats tyres & theyre a bit of a oddball size so there's not much choice.They were also very expensive,I could get two sets for the XT & have change for the price of one rear tyre on the Triumph,his other problem is getting the back wheel of the floor,the swingarm runs really low to the floor & you ca'nt get a trolley jack underneath,apart from that he loves it & the bike drew positive comments from a few people.
But then again so did the XT
Here's the Triumph

Devils bridge is a really popular stop at the weeekend,but even mid-week you get a few people stopping.
No sooner have they gone than some more motorcyclists roll up

It's the first time I'd seen one of these in the metal & there's a lot of it

I set of again,heading to a place called Caton,I took a different route than the one I know, recomended by the Triumph rider,it took me over the river Lune

And I joined the main road at Hornby,after going through Caton I turned off the main road and took some minor roads over the fells to a lookout point over Morecambe bay.

That bright spot on the horizon's the Irish Sea.If you ever get to the Isle of Man TT you either sail from Heysham or Liverpool,Heyshams just down there.
After going over the fells I headed toward the Trough Of Bowland,just before you go up to the Trough there's some nice woodland next to the road,some people were having a BBQ
Here's the woods

A small beck flows through

Mark.F screwed with this post 07-27-2011 at 09:17 AM Reason: Missed a picture
Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,403
beautiful
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Mark.F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got back on the XT & headed up to the "trough".The trough is a valley between the fells,looks like this

I was heading towards the dark clouds

At the end of the trough is a small village

After Dunsop Bridge the terrain changes,you go into wider valleys so the roads are'nt as undulating

But you still find the tight ones if you know where to look

Then it was back home,feeling good after an enjoyable day on the bike
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,253
Cool pictures...
Did you use an I-Phone with the Hipstamatic app or a regular real camera?
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Mark.F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

E-man,I just used a compact camera, a Panasonic Lumix LX5.
MarkF
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Eeee that all brings back memories Mark .........spent the first 45 years of my life in Carnforth and Warton !!! Did Devils Bridge about two years ago when visiting family ...............never changes ....best bacon butty around
Phil
Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Mark.F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Phil,I do'nt do as many miles over here as I used to.I just use the XT for nipping around on, but if I'm going out for a proper ride it usually involves the Trough & Dales.
I think the last time I was at Devils Bridge was in the mid-nineties,we'd end up there most sundays,it does'nt seem to have changed much,I'm sure they'll rustle up a bacon sarnie for you!
MarkF