User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #301
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
John

I am in to support your disagreements and hopefully it will contribute a bit but while following the donate link, there's a fatal error message, please reupload the link
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #302
drapeanu
n00b

Oddometer: 2
If you go to their website blog.intotheworld.eu there is a donate button which seems to be working allright.
drapeanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #303
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambi View Post
I am in to support your disagreements and hopefully it will contribute a bit but while following the donate link, there's a fatal error message, please reupload the link
Problem solved! Thanks for support!

Support Into The World!
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #304
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 285
Those great pictures are neither going to shoot themselves without a lens, nor not going to be seen by us without a laptop. Let's put some money where our mouths are. I'm in, who's next?
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #305
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
>"Let's put some money where our mouths are."

Bingo. Donated.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #306
Edventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Great ride report, keep it going!

Donated!
Edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #307
viter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
definitely the best 2-up trip report I've ever read!!! thank you so much for sharing all the good and the bad! hopefully the bad that you are talking about in your last post has been overcome!

and you now have 10 euro more, from a fellow eastern european
viter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #308
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitia View Post
You should have seen me reading this part, I was squirming with glee as I have been waiting to read your adventures in Tanzania and learn about how you experienced my country. You are right, Tanzanians like 'chips mayai', though I, like Anna, do not like them so much.

I am glad to hear that there was plenty of food too. The most interesting observation is that you figured that there are a lot of awesome places to visit and enjoy. Indeed there are a lot of attractions, one of them being the people themselves. It would be interesting to read about your encounters with different people as you ride through it.

The coconut cookies you mentioned are called 'kashata'. They are good to eat with coffee. I envy you guys being there, though I am going there next month will be driving my old trusted Mitsubish Pajero. I am eager to read your report as you pass through the Kilimanjaro region, as that is where I come from. Safe riding and take care!
So glad to stir your memories of home. Even if it hurts you're not there, it hurts so good ;) Tanzania was such a highlight, and we haven't even seen the vast inland. We met in Cape Town two spanish dudes who had worked there, and we were committed to boating across Tanganika, so we already have unfinished business, besides the dumbfounding foodie offer. In the Kili region for example, we enjoyed a lot the kitawa porridge, such a filling and sumptuous example of fusion cuisine in Africa: everything, from banana, sour milk, even beans, in a warm and delicious protein punch. Cheers!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #309
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parigi View Post
Those great pictures are neither going to shoot themselves without a lens, nor not going to be seen by us without a laptop. Let's put some money where our mouths are. I'm in, who's next?
Thank you so much! We hope this is a temporary situation, we will make do like so many others and push on.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #310
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Let's put some money where our mouths are."

Bingo. Donated.
Thank you. We are humbled by the outpouring support. And the rains have stopped :)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #311
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edventure View Post
Great ride report, keep it going!

Donated!
Thank you Edventure!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #312
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viter View Post
definitely the best 2-up trip report I've ever read!!! thank you so much for sharing all the good and the bad! hopefully the bad that you are talking about in your last post has been overcome!

and you now have 10 euro more, from a fellow eastern european
Thank you, brother, we will use it wisely.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #313
tsiklonaut
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwwwhite View Post

Our mood - even if we were returning from the stunning Zanzibar - was crumbling as well. To top the list of gear that has been slowly decaying to bits (tent, mattresses, clothing etc), in Bagamoyo we had new wounds to lick. Our MacBook and 24 mm Canon lens had been damaged, after an unfortunate incident that involved a concrete slab. Camera appears to be ok. We duct taped the lens, but there even hand held it will focus one out of maybe fifteen attempts. A small disaster we have yet to come to terms with, now that vagabonding has tempered with our attachment to material things. But these things were tough to get.

Did the LCD itself got damaged as well? On the pic it looks like only the plexiglass on the MacBook Pro has. We met Laurent in Congo who also had the same laptop which had broken plexiglass from a crash. He managed to live with it - it can be annoying, but "workable" - on editing multimedia or text change the position of the image or movie if you want to see the details below the sharply twisted areas of the crack-lines. Good thing is the cracklines mostly are very thin. Hopefully your LCD itself is intact or with no "pressure areas" (round spots with messed up colours) by broken plexiglass and it powers up OK(?)

Just saying it since getting a mac there would prove difficult and to ship something in the country would mean a hefty tax to be paid + probably a lot of paperwork hassle (we had some experience with it in Kenya).

Repair possibility on the lens is unknown since most of the stuff there is done close-to-wavelenght of the light precision. I've repaired some of my lenses, but the quality can be slightly lower after the repair. I'd give it a shot though - if you don't have small screwdrivers set yourself maybe bring it to someone who does repair small electronics stuff - if it's a writeoff anyway - why not experiment with it (provided you have time), even just to know what's inside .

Keep the chin up since the downhill moments are part of the real journeys done on a tight budget.

Donation sent & safe roads,
Margus
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #314
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
Did the LCD itself got damaged as well? On the pic it looks like only the plexiglass on the MacBook Pro has. We met Laurent in Congo who also had the same laptop which had broken plexiglass from a crash. He managed to live with it - it can be annoying, but "workable" - on editing multimedia or text change the position of the image or movie if you want to see the details below the sharply twisted areas of the crack-lines. Good thing is the cracklines mostly are very thin. Hopefully your LCD itself is intact or with no "pressure areas" (round spots with messed up colours) by broken plexiglass and it powers up OK(?)

Just saying it since getting a mac there would prove difficult and to ship something in the country would mean a hefty tax to be paid + probably a lot of paperwork hassle (we had some experience with it in Kenya).

Repair possibility on the lens is unknown since most of the stuff there is done close-to-wavelenght of the light precision. I've repaired some of my lenses, but the quality can be slightly lower after the repair. I'd give it a shot though - if you don't have small screwdrivers set yourself maybe bring it to someone who does repair small electronics stuff - if it's a writeoff anyway - why not experiment with it (provided you have time), even just to know what's inside .

Keep the chin up since the downhill moments are part of the real journeys done on a tight budget.

Donation sent & safe roads,
Margus

Dear Margus and Kariina,

We wondered for a while if we should go public with this. But we had to update the blog and the bad was part of the good. Since we shared our troubles with fellow dreamers/ riders, we have been showered in generosity. We are so humbled by the outpouring support. We didn't think people follow our journey so closely.

Thank you immensely for your donation! We will use it wisely. Actually we feel quite guilty to accept donation from you guys, not only fellow travelers, but you know, more than an inspiration for us. You have traveled wider and suffered deeper than us, and kept going. Many times we regret not meeting you on the road. Thanks so much. I wouldn't attempt to open the lens. For now we do with some tape and holding it with one hand while trying to patiently get something in focus. It's dead meat though, even if someone can fix it, it may cost too much to be worth it. In impact it looks like it has detached in two, for a while it did not work at all, not even when hand held. It good that we can still use them to some some extent, after the body also gave us a big scare in Sudan. (details coming up). The laptop damage is both cosmetic and functional, unfortunately. Things are things after all, we had left also with a Kindle, that was much useful for maps and books; it broke in the first month and because it was under warranty and we were in Morocco and we still had our wallets full, we sent it back, even if it cost a lot. Of course we were fine without a kindle, but we regret its absence sometime :)

For a while, tho', it was liberating in a way, not relying on gizmos and machines anymore. Years ago, when she was exploring Angkor, Ana broke her camera in the first day at the temples, but hasn't hindered tremendously her experience. Of course, time have changed, and, let's face it, we are not yogis feeding on prana. We do enjoy our adult toys, that keep us in the game, that help us, just like the ones for kids do, to grow.

Thank you again for you help and for continuing to share your awesome photography on advrider, we are moving farther, with you all vicariously closer.

Cheers,
John and Ana

P.S. A few words on the pics we have selected for print:

1. For the workers in the oldest artisan tanneries in the world, things
haven't changed for over ten generations. In Fez, Morocco, their day
starts in the lime pits, and it ends in those with cow urine and vegetal
paint, just like it did a millennia ago. Only many days later, some of the
best leatherwear in the world will arrive on the shelves of high end
shops. True works of art born out of moroccan sweat.

2. Two decades ago, the himba tribe in north-western Namibia was almost
wiped out by the Angolan civil war and ruined by drought. Today these
people have won the bet with destiny, but still struggle to maintain their
pastoral way of life in one of world's most extreme environments. In
February 2012 we spent two days under the most amazing starscape, with the
beautiful, modest and hospitable himba people.

3. Bully in the tropical rainforest of Nigeria. 25 years ago, an american
over-lander discovered by accident that an endemic species of monkeys was
surviving miraculously, in the middle of a place miraculous indeed. The
american's destiny became intertwined with that of the monkeys, and in the
fall of 2011 we were privileged to volunteer for the nigerian wildlife
sanctuary where that miracle is still taking place. In 2012, Bully will
join the drill supergroup that will be released into the wild, a
pioneering conservation event.

4. In central Zaire rain falls almost ten months per year. Torrents
swallow roads and rewrite destinies we know little about. For four weeks,
the faith of the people who live along the Kinshasa - Lubumbashi axis, was
also our own. We moved towards Zambia meter by meter, leaving in the bog