Oddometer: 6,939
Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #62
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate View Post
Luke,
In a previous post, you mentioned having meters for distraction. I was wondering if you have noted your current draw at say, a steady 25 mph on level pavement.
I recall around 40 something amps just cruising behind the shop at maybe half speed. At that rate it should run for around 30 minutes. Something's up.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #63
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I recall around 40 something amps just cruising behind the shop at maybe half speed. At that rate it should run for around 30 minutes. Something's up.
Load.... try it with my fat ass on it.... 80 amps and 15 minutes...

Do those meters have a hold function? What was the peak draw during your tests?

At half throttle what rate is the controller operating at?

It would be pretty informative to put it on a dyno and run some tests under load. I bet it would be very enlightening....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #64
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,553
So really then, generally, the available amp hours needs increasing, right?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #65
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 367
I know its is a bit late in the game, but sine I guess you have the engine still....

one of the ebike designs I wanted to play with used the existing bottom end of a bike to get the advantages of gears. You gain weight, but get back some controlling in your power output to the dirt.

So, could you get a thicker crankshaft chain going and get that tranny back in there?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #66
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

or invent a motorcycle rear derailleur
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #67
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 744
This is awesome.

I am curious why no gearbox? Is the weight penalty too great or do you feel that it is not needed? How much more/less current does the motor draw at full speed than at half speed if the power delivery at the rear wheel is the same?

I have no experience building with lithium Ion batteries but what I did read is that you have a good chance of creating a grenade if you don't know what you are doing. What do you have to do to keep the batteries from being dangerous while they are between your legs?

Best of luck to you. If someone with money wants to take your ideas, don't think of it as selling out, think of it as filling your pockets for the next experiment while giving the rest of us a shot at stealthy trespassing. I know belt drives are not ideal on dirt but you should throw one on that thing just to see how quiet you can make it.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #68
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,237
At this point, I estimate the bike to be worth at least 15 million dollars if sold to the government.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...lightning-gun/
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Regarding the gearbox, I didn't put one in because there isn't much room. It would be very nice on a multipurpose bike to give better top speed while keeping low speed torque, but one gear seems to be enough for now.

The motor has a fairly constant efficiency at medium to heavy loads. It wastes a bit of power at high speed and low load, but that's about it. The Agni website has the charts for the motor performance.

Battery safety isn't really an issue, they aren't lithium-ion.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #70
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Perkuets Formula might explain it.

Basically the amp draw / amp hour capacity of the battery vs time of useage is not a linear function.
Supposedly lithium batteries generally don't have much of a problem with this, but it's definitely something to look in to further.

I've been reading that LiFe batteries generally don't work well until they've had quite a few charge/discharge cycles to break in, so I'm trying that now.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #71
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Is there a way to make the impulse curve progressive? meaning to make the impulses short interval at small throttle inputs for torque, and then space them out accordingly the faster you go? This is to stretch battery life, that is..
Old 08-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #72
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Is there a way to make the impulse curve progressive? meaning to make the impulses short interval at small throttle inputs for torque, and then space them out accordingly the faster you go? This is to stretch battery life, that is..
Nope, the controller frequency is fixed. The throttle sets the ratio of on and off time.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #73
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,699
I just noticed that this new build subforum is subtitled "Batteries Not Included".
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #74
WhorehayTheBarbarian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I rode a very similar bike yesterday afternoon....

This dude at the mx track had built one from a ktm 125sx. It was working and he rode it around a handful of times. I took a little spin in the parking lot and was really impressed with the amount of power.

He seemed to be having power issues as well. His bike was only good for 10-15 min on a motocross track and it sorta struggled uphills he said.

Very awesome Idea and Im thinking with enough tweaking you will have quite the entertaining trail bike.
At this point I believe electric vehicles are the wave of the future.
WhorehayTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #75
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
I just noticed that this new build subforum is subtitled "Batteries Not Included".

Yeah, about batteries. One of the parallel sets of cells has gone bad, so I pulled them out. The batteries take forever to charge when I run the balancer, so I need to re-do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhorehayTheBarbarian View Post
I rode a very similar bike yesterday afternoon....

This dude at the mx track had built one from a ktm 125sx. It was working and he rode it around a handful of times. I took a little spin in the parking lot and was really impressed with the amount of power.

He seemed to be having power issues as well. His bike was only good for 10-15 min on a motocross track and it sorta struggled uphills he said.

Very awesome Idea and Im thinking with enough tweaking you will have quite the entertaining trail bike.
At this point I believe electric vehicles are the wave of the future.

Cool. It seems like there are a bunch of these projects running around.

I have no lack of power, but wish I could get 10-15 minutes of real run time. Yesterday I ran the bike around in circles in my driveway just as a sort of break-in. It ran for about an hour and a half which was nice, but that was at bicycle speeds.