Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #76
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
One annoying problem: it lacks any significant off idle grunt until the turbo spools up. Couple this with a heavy clutch and on anything less than level ground, you're revving the engine and excessively slipping the clutch to get anything in the way of a decent launch.
You have a gasser, yes? When will the Diesel come to Canada?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #77
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
My wife's 09 is red with a white roof and white bonnet stripes. 35,000 miles. Two sets of wheels and tires (summer tires shot). Manual, xenon headlights, limited slip differential, bluetooth, multi function wheel, winter package.

We're looking to trade it on something- but you're sure welcome to buy it for yourself if you still want it after reading about it in this thread.
A bump/update from us. Right about when I last posted, we ventured North to the great, smoggy wasteland that is Phoenix and looked at both the Mini S and the Volvo C30. Wife fell in love with the Volvo and we drove one home that night. It may not quite out-perform the mini but in overall comfort and ride quality, I think the Volvo is incredible. And once you wind up the turbo 227-horses, it GOES. We're quite happy with the C30, and now that we're aware, they seem to be much less common that the Minis.

Our (azcyclewife's) new toy:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #78
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post

One annoying problem: it lacks any significant off idle grunt until the turbo spools up.
Couple this with a heavy clutch and on anything less than level ground, you're reving the engine
and excessively slipping the clutch to get anything in the way of a decent launch.
That was the one thing I noticed on my test drive. Now I've had 24 hours to muse on it that might be something that would bug me in long term ownership (that and the central speedo A few years ago I really wanted to pull the trigger on the small mini but couldn't do it because of that dash).

p.s. Love that blue.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #79
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
A bump/update from us. Right about when I last posted, we ventured North to the great, smoggy wasteland that is Phoenix and looked at both the Mini S and the Volvo C30. Wife fell in love with the Volvo and we drove one home that night. It may not quite out-perform the mini but in overall comfort and ride quality, I think the Volvo is incredible. And once you wind up the turbo 227-horses, it GOES. We're quite happy with the C30, and now that we're aware, they seem to be much less common that the Minis.
I've been wondering what you'd end up with. Nice choice! The C30 was on our list, but we decided that we wanted 4 doors this time.
The Mini is gone and was replaced by a Golf TDI. She's quite happy with the new car and hasn't once said that she misses the Mini. However, my coworkers (who are numerous and always driving around town) used to wave to her in the Mini- now she's aggravated that nobody waves to her anymore.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #80
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
I've been wondering what you'd end up with. Nice choice! The C30 was on our list, but we decided that we wanted 4 doors this time.
The Mini is gone and was replaced by a Golf TDI. She's quite happy with the new car and hasn't once said that she misses the Mini. However, my coworkers (who are numerous and always driving around town) used to wave to her in the Mini- now she's aggravated that nobody waves to her anymore.
remind me again why you got rid of the Mini?

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #81
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
That was the one thing I noticed on my test drive. Now I've had 24 hours to muse on it that might be something that would bug me in long term ownership (that and the central speedo A few years ago I really wanted to pull the trigger on the small mini but couldn't do it because of that dash).

p.s. Love that blue.
+1. Every time I get in someone's mini (lots of co-workers with them of all variants) I can't get over that dash. The "One Big Gauge" thing. But it definitely clicks with lots of folks. We even have someone with the mini convertible which I personally rate right up there with the PT Cruiser convertible for ugliness.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #82
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
+1. Every time I get in someone's mini (lots of co-workers with them of all variants) I can't get over that dash. The "One Big Gauge" thing. But it definitely clicks with lots of folks. We even have someone with the mini convertible which I personally rate right up there with the PT Cruiser convertible for ugliness.

Tom

There is actually a digital speedo, albeit somewhat small, built into the tach pod.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #83
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
remind me again why you got rid of the Mini?
It had a fair number of things go wrong with it under warranty and was getting close to being out of warranty. I can go into detail, but it was mostly annoying stuff that required a tow, or expensive shit that shouldn't go bad with under 35,000 miles.

It was also burning copious amounts of oil, which it shouldn't have based on it's age. It was NEVER abused. I have a hard time estimating just how much it burned, but we were definitely adding 1 quart every 2500 miles.

Despite that it was still a fun car.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #84
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post

Continuing...

Mini Clubman: First non-4WD to win the Alcan5000.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #85
paco pena
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Sure they are cute and handle like a go cart but not what I would call reliable. Three co-workers have them as lease vehicles and they have been nothing but headaches. Two of them burn or leak oil like its going out of style. The gaskets harden after about 30, 000 miles and then the leaks start. The vacuum pump is driven off the cam shaft and if the pump seizes up it toasts the motor. The brakes don't last long and don't ask what those Fu@king run flat tires cost.

Paco
paco pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #86
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco pena View Post
Sure they are cute and handle like a go cart but not what I would call reliable. Three co-workers have them as lease vehicles and they have been nothing but headaches. Two of them burn or leak oil like its going out of style. The gaskets harden after about 30, 000 miles and then the leaks start. The vacuum pump is driven off the cam shaft and if the pump seizes up it toasts the motor. The brakes don't last long and don't ask what those Fu@king run flat tires cost.

Paco

Your anecdotes are about a decade old.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #87
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,520
Quote:
Continuing...

Mini Clubman
isn't that a Countryman? Oops - your link, got it

Talking of which, I took a second test drive but with my girlfriend this time. She loved it and if it wasn't for the fact I ignore her opinion on most things, I might have bought one by now.

JNRobert screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 08:21 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #88
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco pena View Post

Paco
You may not call them reliable Paco, but hey I actually own one and have since 2003 and its been extremely reliable. The only trips to the dealer were for a rattling tail gate latch. I've known quite a few folks with Minis (its a little family) and have never known any with serious reliability issues. I read 3rd person posts like yours every now and then reality has been far different.

The run flats had an easy solution - I replaced them with traditional ones when they wore out. Presto - no issue there.

Brakes? Yeap they wear quickly like all BMW pads. Whats the big deal? Replace them and your in business. The damn thing stops on a dime.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #89
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:

Your anecdotes are about a decade old.
Not in our case.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #90
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
You may not call them reliable Paco, but hey I actually own one and have since 2003 and its been extremely reliable. The only trips to the dealer were for a rattling tail gate latch. I've known quite a few folks with Minis (its a little family) and have never known any with serious reliability issues. I read 3rd person posts like yours every now and then reality has been far different.

The run flats had an easy solution - I replaced them with traditional ones when they wore out. Presto - no issue there.

Brakes? Yeap they wear quickly like all BMW pads. Whats the big deal? Replace them and your in business. The damn thing stops on a dime.

My experience has been pretty much the same. Two different Minis. Never a minute's problem.

Mini/BMW replaced the brake pads as part of the scheduled maintenance. No cost.

I put Michelin Pilot Sports on my Clubby after the run-flats wore out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: