User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 816
White Tiger spotted in Southeast

I've had the privilege to own lots of bikes in my 52 years and all of them have had a dirt slant to them. Either Motocross bikes, dual sport bikes or Adventure bikes. I've loved them all. But this was a new experience for me.

A couple weeks ago I strolled to our local KTM/Triumph dealer and tried to strike a deal on a new 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050. I've really liked these bikes since 2006 when I first saw them. Seems Triumph was blowing out the left over 2010 1050s with lots of incentives.
Once there the dealer started going on and on about how much he liked the 800XC and he just happened to have a Demo on the floor right now. I must admit, that I really liked the 800s as well. I'd just ridden one at Daytona earlier this year. He didn't have to twist my arm very much to get me thinking hard about the 800. Currently having a KTM 690 E, I had really wanted a road bike, but the 800 was growing on me.
Here I am testing the 800 out at the dealer.

Sweet as it was, we still had to make the deal. The dealer made an offer and I countered. We were only $500 apart (and that's never stopped me before) but this time I backed down and walked away from the deal.
I felt good about it and slept fine that night.
JUst five short days later, I was looking through the "Flea Market " section of this forum for a KTM 690 for a friend and what would a run across but a sweet 2007 Tiger in Tennessee.
Hummm, I've always wanted to do a fly and ride. I called the owner, made the deal and was on a plan the next day to Nashville.
I'd packed my jacket, Helmet and GPS with a route already plugged in from the night before. As luck would have it, the previous owner had installed a battery tender pigtail and I had a set up to mate right up to the pigtail for my GPS. It was meant to be!
The owner of the bike met me at the Airport with Tiger in tow and after a few signatures, I was ready for the trip back to Central Florida.
But first I'd need to stop and get a couple ty wraps from the local auto parts store to keep the make shift hardwire for the GPS in check.

With ty wraps attached I'm almost ready to head South.

Only one more stop to make.

Now with my belly full, I'll be able to put some miles in.
I'd hop on the Interstate and head towards Chattanooga. On the way, I'd have to stop off and get a picture of the bike in our Dixie Dual Sport SOS (song of the south) challenge.

You can see it here http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/?forum=195155

I'd be off the Interstate now, looking for nice twisty roads to try out the Tigers legs and lungs. And both were doing fine. I however suddenly felt the sting on a bee. I'd actually watched him do a Kamikaze run right into my neck. Good thing I'm not allergic.

Somewhere near the border of Tennessee and Alabama I see this bridge and pull over to take a picture. Not sure where exactly I am, but the bridge was pretty neat.

My plan was to hit one of my favorite riding areas...The DeSsoto State park/ Little River Canyon area. There are some of the sweetest roads in the Southeast in this 25 mile strech.

I then got further and further from civilization along a road I'd only plotted in the GPS the night before. I wasn't sure where I was, but the country roads certainly looked sweet.

You can't see it from this picture, but that bridge is in the cut down below this switchback.
By the way, this was an AWESOME ROAD!

I'm now in the lookout Mountain area, where capitalism is not lost on the fact that their are no fancy billboards..Don't need em. Not as long as we got us a barn or two.

And the Classic, " See Rock City" roof top billboard. This one is located on the Sequoyah Caverns property. I thought I'd see more, but I had to go about a mile out of my way and find one that I'd seen a few years ago on a visit.

There was also an old homestead on the property...just a little fix er up er.

I'd already bagged this state park on the trip Mike Driver and I took earlier this year. I do believe this is one of my favorite riding areas in the Southeast.

I blew past other great opportunities for photo ops as I've stopped and took pictures so many times before, but you really have to stop and grab a photo of the Bike at "Mushroom Rock"...especially as it sits right in the middle of the road.

This my friends starts one of the best motorcycling roads in all the southeast...maybe in the whole US. Especially if your bike has an adventure slant to it as the asphalt is coarse and broken in places and sand and gravel fill the bottom of the swells scattered throughout the next 11 miles.

I'd planned on riding to Pine Mountain, but I'd spent more time in this area than I probably should have. When rain caught me just outside of Rome Georgia, I stopped and threw on my rain gear. While marching on in the rain, I decided to go ahead and hit I-75 and take advantage of the cooler night air.

I hit I-75 and needed to refill the bike and my belly. Now where would any rider go when he needs to replenish the body? Funny you should ask..
I stopped at the local Waffle House to feed the need for food.

I jumped in the HOV lane and slid through Hotlanta right after a hard downpour. Cool crisp air and intertwined with hot muggy air. It was sometimes like running into a hot wet oven. Not sure why.
By the time I reached Macon, I'd been in the seat for about 10 hours. I looked at my GPS and noted that I could be sleeping in my own bed if I put the hammer down. I'd be rolling into Groveland just before 3:00 if I kept moving.
It was 10:15 PM now and I started playing, " Should I or should I not".
I made the call to pull into Cordell and grab a room.
Two reason helped make my final call.
#1 I didn't change my smoked shield as I was planing on stopping earlier and wouldn't need it...Right Mike Driver? It can get hard to see through a dark visor, throw hot humid air to create a little night prisim effect and you've got hard to see issues. Not so bad it I would have brought ear plus (I didn't) so that I could have then lifted the visor as I had my riding glasses on as well.
But the glasses would get a hot greasy glaze on them as well within 10 minutes of cleaning once underway.
#2, I could also see what looked to be huge bolts of lightning down around Valdosta. Each time one would strike the sky would light up and show all the storm clouds in the area.

In the end, I pulled into a best western and it was full. I drove across the street and found a room at the Days Inn. It wasn't much to look at, but at 11:00PM at night (and after being up since 4:00am the day before) it looked good enough for me. Besides..It had a place to park my bike right outside the door.

By 10:30 Am Saturday I was within a mile of my house on Cherry Lake Groves Road. I had to stop and get one last photo before I pulled up to my drive.

or maybe two. The red clay sets the white off..don't you think?

So here's the final rundown......

Airfare $187 including taxes

Bike $5400

Top speed during the trip

Miles per gallon average

Total Mileage

Smiles I had on my face the whole way back....Priceless.

Ahhhh, it was nice to get home

Bert

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,

EbarDP48 screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 04:23 AM
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 1,092
Great way to purchase a bike there mate.
Looks like some very nice tarmac country.
Hmmmmm...11:33am Thursday. Time for an extended lunch break and a little ride.
Your Triumph looks great. The RR was a good read.
Tenerrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Quote:
Hmmmmm...11:33am Thursday. Time for an extended lunch break and a little ride.
Go for it!
Bert

Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
Only one thing---- You forgot to drop the bike off in North Carolina... Thats OK though. You can always come up this weekend.

Great RR and AWESOME deal you got.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Quote:
You forgot to drop the bike off in North Carolina
I look to be back that way the middle/end of September.

Still not sure if I'll bring the Tiger or the KTM 690...Tough call.

Bert

Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Gixxer2go
Just happy to ride...

Oddometer: 142
Bert! Great ride report, man I wish I'd been heading down that way on a bike too...nice routes! Now I know "El Tigre" is in good hands
Gixxer2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
Thumb

great story. i'm always looking at the RRs from out west and forget how nice the TN/AL/GA area is (near my home). nice looking bike too.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,029
Nice RR! Very ANGRY (jealous) of your awesome deal. Your garage looks full so I will give you the $5400+187 and taxes.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Great RR...I've got to get up to Little River Canyon....I haven't ridden that area yet, thanks for the headsup.
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Quote:
Your garage looks full so I will give you the $5400+187 and taxes.
Sorry, no can do..I've already sold my V Strom to a friend so I'd be looking for another bike...What am I saying, I'm always looking for another bike.
Bert

Quote:
I've got to get up to Little River Canyon....I haven't ridden that area yet, thanks for the headsup.
As for the Little River canyon area, Check out this post of a trip I took just a couple months ago to this area.

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post?id=5280886
Bert

EbarDP48 screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 04:17 PM