Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #136
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Two years and counting and this thread still has legs - awesome.

Thank you for your service, sir, and for penning such a powerful ride report. You - and everyone who serves or who has served - have my utmost respect, admiration and thanks.

My older brother Doug served in and survived Viet Nam, '69-'70 First Air Cav. We've done many things together over the years, except ride together.

In two weeks we're gonna fix that. He's flying out here from Washington, picking up his new Road King, and he, me and my wife are going to spend some quality time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know you can appreciate how special this ride will be.

Thanks again.

Best,
Ferris

Good morning, Ferris,

I think you and your brother are going to have a great ride. Not knowing where you live, the BRP should cool down a bit by then. If you're in the Bedford, VA area, you might want to take a detour and visit the D-Day Memorial. Also, down in Maggie Valley, the Wheels Through Time is a great place to spend a few hours. I'm heading there late next week myself.

So you brother was with The Cav, huh? I was in RVN in '69-'70 myself but south of him. Those airmobile troopers had a tough time up there but they darn sure gave more then they got! Last Sunday, I rode up to Tuggle's Gap where there's a little restaurant at the intersection of VA 8 and the BRP. There was an old guy there wearing a large 1st Cav patch on his leather vest. On my way past him, I noticed a Purple Heart patch and said, "Well, how were things up in An Khe when you were there." He smiled and said, "I wasn't in An Khe very much." I replied, "Yeah, that Purple Heart told me that." He just laughed and asked where I had been. I told him I was with the Big Red One; he laughed again and said, "Y'all had it pretty easy down there, didn't you?" Hey, it's a vet thing. We welcomed each other home.

Have a great ride, Ferris. Please tell your brother I thank him for his service!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #137
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
...Please tell your brother I thank him for his service!

Mike
Hi Mike -

Done! I sent Doug a link to your thread. He's read it, and is presently waiting for his "approval" from ADV so he can post-up here for the first time.

I messed up on the dates last night; my bad. He was in Viet Nam in '68-'69, not '69-'70. I'll let him share other details when he's goes live here in a bit.

My wife and I live next to the Parkway, not far from the state line. This has been home for going on seven years, and we love it here. Perhaps one of these days we'll run into you on the road.

Thanks again, sir.

Ferris
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #138
singletrackjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Tears

Well Mike as I set here in tears - Thanks for a great rr --- bringing back old memories - and I do mean old memories thinking of those who didn't get back home - the ultimate sacrifices they gave -- friends I grew up with that never came back and some that did didn't last long before alcoholism or some rare form of cancer took them,,, how humbled I am to just be a part of something like "the Big Red One" that most will never experience! -- certainly took me back to a place I never realized I would ever go back to in this lifetime!!
And the remark about the big red one insignia on the junction city water tower I had totally forgotten about!!
With hands shaking and a lump in My throat I say Welcome home Mike Welcome home!!!

P/S Your Dad said it best -- I used to say the experience was worth a million and I wouldn't take a million to go back!!
singletrackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #139
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Thank you, Jack, for your thoughtful and heartfelt comments. I apologize for taking this long to reply. Your service to our country gave you, as others in this thread have stated, a sense of honor that is now part of who you are. All who have served and are serving joined the ranks of those who came before and fought hard to give us this wonderful country. I was reminded of that last evening.

I got home last night in time to watch the NBC Nightly News and caught a story about a young trooper, Corporal Hargess, who had been wounded in Afghanistan. In his hospital bed, encumbered by breathing tubes, IVs, bandages, etc., he managed to salute as he was being given the Purple Heart.

Frankly, I got this huge lump in my throat but, along with that, I felt the need to thank those who served and are serving. I sent an e-mail to a couple of guys, one I "met" through ADV Rider and with whom I served. "Dillard" responded, "Wow, he saluted. Got tears in my eyes. Of course, it doesn't take much to get me choked up with this sort of thing. I really love these guys. They do a lot of dumb shit and piss me off most of the time, but then you see something like this and I want to give the kid a big hug."

Mike, my former commanding officer replied, "Dillard is one of our real heroes, and I'm glad you are in touch with him. Honestly, I am just as proud to have flown, risked our lives, and, somehow, survived.with you, right there beside us. Just doing your job.

Career soldies both, one active, one retired, share a trait that I find quite remarkable. They're very humble about what they're doing or have done. As has been said, "Where do we get such men."

Our servicemen and women keep us safe. Please don't forget to welcome them home and thank them for their service.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 04:44 PM
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #140
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
service

First of all thank you for your service. No one comes back the same from combat areas, but it sounds like and I hope its so ,that you are finally home. Your story has touched a lot of folks here, I'm happy for you and all on the forum. You are among a lot of friends who will always be here. Terry, [CMS Ret. USAF, first two years US Army]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #141
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
First of all thank you for your service. No one comes back the same from combat areas, but it sounds like and I hope its so ,that you are finally home. Your story has touched a lot of folks here, I'm happy for you and all on the forum. You are among a lot of friends who will always be here. Terry, [CMS Ret. USAF, first two years US Army]
You're very kind, Terry. Thank you and, yes, I made it home a long time ago. You know, I see the TV reports of these young veterans returning home, surprising wifes, kids, parents, dogs, etc. It give me chills every single time and makes me proud I once wore the uniform. Thank you, Terry, for staying at your post all of those years.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend