User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #31
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 763
Outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Now if I could just get this speck of dust out of my eye.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thank you sir!

I'm sitting in my room 7,000 miles from home in Iraq. This story sums up so much of why I am here. I only wish to honor the sacrifice others have made by offering myself for the same. It is an honor every time I talk to, or even read the story of the ones who have paved the way for me. Military service is a family tradition that goes back over 150 yrs for my family and my only hope is that I never dissapoint any single one of them. I have played this game for 22 yrs now and the baton passes to my son, as he leaves shortly after my return for Paris Island. Not my first choice of service for him but not my choice at all in reality. Once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart and with all my soul for the path you have paved for me. Now damnit where did I put that allergy medicine, my eyes are watering like hell!

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
LoneWolf72
FNG

Oddometer: 22
WOW!...I am in AWE sir...really. This is a humbling story and a great gesture by you. I appreciate this story in so many ways. My father is a Vietnam Vet, and although I never served in the military, I would like to think that I serve in my own way(.gov). Dad did his time in the South China Sea (1964-1968), but did his part for the cause. He came home to a career with the Veteran's Administration hospitals. After retirement, he served in VFW honor guards for several years, firing at veteran funerals, sometimes 3 or 4 a day on weekends. I have a lot of respect for him for this selfless act. Thank you for your sharing your story, and thank you for your service.
LoneWolf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #34
GJRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thank you so much for your story and your service to this great country! We really do need to keep our soldiers in our thoughts and prayers, especially as time draws on. Pictures and news stories are seeming to be far and few now a days. Thanks again for your heart warming story.
GJRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Mike...have to tell you that for the last 40 years I have thought that nothing good ever came out of that damn war. I see now that I have been wrong. A great thing did come out of that experience, maybe the greatest thing that we humans can have.....a sense of commentment, duty, and honor that can be only formulated during times of great shared danger, and shared only by those that experience it together. I thank you, your brothers, and all that came before you for their service. I thank all that are currently serving. Most of all I thank you for your report and for having opened up the eyes of an old man who still misses his friends that never came back. God bless you.

Patrick
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #36
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Very nice Mike......Thanks for serving and sharing!

07GSA....Holy Cow!
06 K1200R "Der Naked"....SOLD...too damn fast
05 R1200GS "Das Boot" ....SOLD...already miss her!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Flyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #37
City Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
excellent. Thank you for sharing.
City Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #38
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 462
Excellent report.

Please consider contributing your experiences to the Veteran's History Project with the Library of Congress. Future generations should know of your experiences.

http://www.loc.gov/vets/
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #39
Ken Hubbell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thank You
Ken Hubbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #40
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,217
Tears in my eyes as I read your story. Thanks!

USCG '54-'69

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #41
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Addendum to Duty

The ride back home was just like I like ‘em . . . no mishaps, no problems. I did have to get a new set of tires so I stopped at Gateway BMW in St. Louis and cannot say enough good about those guys. I “complained” to the general manager, Bob, that the techs had taken almost five minutes to get my bike into the shop. He promised to try to do better.

I’ve thought a lot about this trip on my return and since I’ve been home. On Friday evening our close circle of friends asked how the trip went and I said, “I’ve sent you a link to a ride report on the Adventure Riders forum.” All of your comments have been most complimentary and deeply appreciated. In my opinion, they “made” the ride report. I offer my most humble thanks.

My service in Vietnam brought me into contact with influential people. I saw Alexander Haig, Vice President Agnew and Wesley Clark while there. It was, however Mike, General Wolff and Betty Tisdale who showed me how to turn negatives into positives. The two soldiers instilled the value of being your best in difficult situations. Betty showed me compassion for those caught up in the chaos. Worthwhile lessons all, to be sure.

To the young soldier currently serving in Iraq: Thank you for the PM. I’d love to meet and talk to you when you get back. You have my number.

To 6gun (currently serving in Iraq: Your sentence, sir, “Once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart and with all my soul for the path you have paved for me,” reminds that all soldiers march in the footsteps of those who went before. I’m proud to have been in those ranks. Now you have the baton and, soon, your son will carry it. Godspeed, sir, and thank you for your service to us.

To Patmo: As I mentioned in my PM, welcome home, brother.

Finally, I’d like to end with a quote I heard somewhere: “And today, looking back at that long path of service, my soldier's heart stirs and murmurs from deep within: Thank you, thank you, my homeland.”

Thanks for coming along!

Mike & me

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #42
cobra_1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Mike,

Thanks for the great ride report. This was forwarded to me by my old Vietnam platoon leader, he is sending it on to other helicopter veterans like myself to share, because it was so good. Means a lot that you cared to share this with others.

Keep the rubber side down and great read.

Lonnie Heidtke
Crew Chief Black Widow 474
"C" 101st AHB, 101st Airborne
68-69, Republic of South Vietnam
Chippewa Falls, WI
cobra_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_1 View Post
Mike,

Thanks for the great ride report. This was forwarded to me by my old Vietnam platoon leader, he is sending it on to other helicopter veterans like myself to share, because it was so good. Means a lot that you cared to share this with others.

Keep the rubber side down and great read.

Lonnie Heidtke
Crew Chief Black Widow 474
"C" 101st AHB, 101st Airborne
68-69, Republic of South Vietnam
Chippewa Falls, WI

Welcome home, Lonnie!

Thank you so much for contacting me and please extend my gratitude to your former platoon leader for forwarding the thread. You Screamin' Eagles were (and are!) a fine unit and did yourselves proud in RVN. I'm sure thankful I didn't have to go into the A Shau like you guys did. Thank you for your service. I'm glad you're okay!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #44
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
yet another retired vereran chiming in on what an outstanding report this is. most folks really don't get the bonds formed under those circumstances. well done.
absolutely love the .45 you hade made. kimber is what i currently carry. can't go wrong with a .45.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
yet another retired vereran chiming in on what an outstanding report this is. most folks really don't get the bonds formed under those circumstances. well done.
absolutely love the .45 you hade made. kimber is what i currently carry. can't go wrong with a .45.
Thank you, Seabee1, for your service to us. I was just a guy "passing through" but you stayed at your post.

Salute, sir,

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend