Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #91
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
...however can you tell me if a 1200FD can be done by the typical rider/home mechanic with anywhere near the simplicity of the 1100/1150 ?
Ignoring the obvious logical fallacy there (Do you still beat your wife?) I'll say they are similar.

Quote:
and further to that why do dealerships replace rather than repair?
Because they can. Because BMW pays. Because the owner wants that. Whatever. If the dealer screws up a repair, they look bad. If a new replacement major unit goes bad, there's no question that it's all on BMW.

Quote:
i'm here to learn.
Spouting misinformation and waiting to be corrected is a crappy way to do that.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #92
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Ignoring the obvious logical fallacy there (Do you still beat your wife?) I'll say they are similar.

Because they can. Because BMW pays. Because the owner wants that. Whatever. If the dealer screws up a repair, they look bad. If a new replacement major unit goes bad, there's no question that it's all on BMW.

Spouting misinformation and waiting to be corrected is a crappy way to do that.
Gee whizz pops, no need to go all Freudian on me.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #93
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian7073 View Post
You saying you want to put more than 440 pounds on a 540 pound bike?? Yeah that sounds safe. That's 81% of the bikes weight. Not even a heavy duty pick up can handle 81% of it's weight on it.
A bicycle can! 30 pound mountain bike with a 180 pound rider is what....plus 500%? I'm just sayin' my apples are better than your oranges.

For the most robust over-the-road vehicle I pick the tractor/trailer. It's good for about 166% of tare weight: 80k pounds on `30k pounds tare.

Now why do GSA owners think they own big rigs is a mystery to me!

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #94
Adrian7073
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
I don't see where the GS' weight factors in. I put 170 pounds on my 20-pound bicycle all the time. Trucks, rail cars, ants, lots of things carry more than their own weight.
Passenger cars/trucks and motorcycles are not designed to carry more than they weigh like the ones you mentioned.
Towing is not the same as payload. I guess people don't like to be told how much they can put on there bikes.
Adrian7073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #95
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,444
Quote:
Passenger cars/trucks and motorcycles are not designed to carry more than they weigh like the ones you mentioned.
Towing is not the same as payload. I guess people don't like to be told how much they can put on there bikes.
Why not read the loading label on the machine instead making a big fuss?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #96
Adrian7073
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why not read the loading label on the machine instead making a big fuss?
That would be to easy.
Adrian7073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #97
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,444
Quote:
That would be to easy.
I mean your fuss. What's the maximum combined weight for the bike this thread is about?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #98
Englishmatt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I mean your fuss. What's the maximum combined weight for the bike this thread is about?
Don't have my actual bike with me, but, I beleive the the bikes weight (wet, fueled and ready to go) is 564lbs. The GVWR of the bike is 1,047lbs.

So....I wiegh, with gear - 260lbs
Bike was loaded with - 140lbs (this includes the wieght of the cases and various bags)
Misc - 30lbs (other shite I added, skid plate, lights etc...
Wet Bike - 564lbs

TOTAL - 994 lbs

Approx 50lbs under the GVWR published weight, which you'd hope is a conservative number and either way, I'm under it.

Thanks,

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #99
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Were not fat

and I think I'm right on the limits for weight, 2 up, Jesse's, camping gear, her stuff, and more of her stuff.

If your on the heavy side, I don't know how you would stay under the GVWR.

2 final drives so far - thinking its a weight issue.
MCP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #100
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
..........When I see BMW recommending Castrol SAF-X0 differential oil at $47 per liter (Canadian price) I have to feel that they are trying to mask a design problem with some sort of super oil instead of building a final drive that is hearty enough to allow the use of the same $9 a liter gear oil that goes in my truck's differential.
Add that to the fact that theyBMW will NOT discuss anything about these failures (even with their dealers), and keep the trade ins (or take offs) under warranty, and this is the second generation of FD design that is having the failures. After 7 failures (2 built by BMW dealers and the rest by me) I installed my spare FD and have had no problems since. I do open it up each time I change oil and inspect the bearings with a little 10X scope.

But I am not selling the bike.....I'll just retire another final drive with a placard (Final Drive from Hell) to the wall of the shop......and keep riding.
Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #101
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueMAN View Post
comes to something when the FD has to have the oil changed just as frequently as the engine oil!!!
I had a BMW R1100S, and did this. The barrings still went out at 40k... I will say though, I bought the motorcycle from a good friend of my fathers when it had 24.5k. All the maintenace at that point was done at the local dealer (I will not say dealer name). Took the bike to a friend, found out the air/fuel mixture screw was almost completely unscrewed and the final drive fluid looked like it was never changed. So I'm sure that had a hand in the failure. My dads R1150RT final drive barrings went out at around 63k too... :-/

Engle Motors (Kansas City BMW Dealer) changed the final drive fluid with every tire change. If I remember correctly, Engle Motors "area" had the least final drive failers of all the United States.

BMW does have a problem with their final drives, but will not admit it. It's always the riders fault... I love BMW, and am looking for a R1100GS, but I'm still worried about the final drive. Also, why the hell should I have to take apart the whole bike ever 40k to lube the splines. Ohh well... I like the looks of that Yamaha, but don't have the money.

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Farmer_Ted screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 09:23 PM
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #102
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
There is no way that a rider and a passenger wearing full gear, the accessories mounted on the bike and all the kit for 3 week camping trip will weight in less than 440 lbs. So BMW wants me to tell my wife she has to stay home or we have to motel it for 3 weeks in order to not overload my 09 GS Adventure. Most couples touring 2 up and camping are over that weight.

I have never had a final drive failure on any of the 4 GS's that I have owned, but I fully believe it will likely happen one day. When I see BMW recommending Castrol SAF-X0 differential oil at $47 per liter (Canadian price) I have to feel that they are trying to mask a design problem with some sort of super oil instead of building a final drive that is hearty enough to allow the use of the same $9 a liter gear oil that goes in my truck's differential.
Amen to that brother. This is a DESIGN ISSUE, not a lubrication issue. You should be able to run chicken noodle soup in these rear ends. I do like what the transmission guy said a while back about the venting issue. Going from hot (higher than atmospheric pressure in the housing) to cold (fording a stream and creating negative pressure and sucking in water, dirt, dust) makes a lot of sense to me.

spanker screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 05:06 PM
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #103
Englishmatt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
1 week away!!!

I'm maybe still a week away from getting the bike back. I'm READY for it to be back. I haven't riden it since the final day of the trip and I feel like I don't have TRIP closure...LOL.

Ready for it to be back!

That beind said my local dealer, Blue Moon Cycles in Norcross, GA are handling the issue perfectly with BMW. It's times like this that reaffirms my decision to purchase a new bike from a dealer vs. a used bike privately.

Good dealer relations are worth real $$$ when the sh*t hits the fan!

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #104
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
I'm maybe still a week away from getting the bike back. I'm READY for it to be back. I haven't riden it since the final day of the trip and I feel like I don't have TRIP closure...LOL.

Ready for it to be back!

That beind said my local dealer, Blue Moon Cycles in Norcross, GA are handling the issue perfectly with BMW. It's times like this that reaffirms my decision to purchase a new bike from a dealer vs. a used bike privately.

Good dealer relations are worth real $$$ when the sh*t hits the fan!

Matt.
I take a different view.......You have been without your bike for 3 weeks. I would rather buy used and unwarranteed, and take care of any failures on my own with the bucks I saved on the bike.........It would still be cheaper, and I would be in control of my own fate. No replacement of an assembly (That fails as often as BMW final drives) should take more than a week under warranty. JMHO. YM Obviously V.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #105
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
I took a look at that 3.0 final drive swap piece from Max's. I can tell you, if mine does fail I'm thinking about going that route. I've always been of the opinion that if something stock fails, I'm replacing it with something "better" (or at least different lol). But then again, I'm outta warranty on my 07 and I don't have the enduro first gear, either..... so my situation is substantially different than the OP's.

I just hope like Hell I don't have to make that call anytime soon.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote