ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
keener OP
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Talking Installing hazard (4 way) switch on 950 or older 990 (with or without ignition on)

In a number of occasions I had to pull over a road or highway for emergency or just fixing my gloves or whatever where I wished I could turn on 4 ways (hazard) lights on instead of right turn signals. Its a simple install and makes scene to have it. Everything is there, all it takes is a switch and little bit of wire. Higher models of 990 come with hazard lights.

Although not its not necessary, you might want to replace the bulbs on your turn signals with LED so you can safely leave the hazard lights on for a while and not worry about draining the battery. On that note I suggest replacing the stock flasher relay with an IC Flasher Relay so your turn signals will work with LED and regular bulbs without installing resistors on every one of them.

PLEASE CORRECT ME if you see anything wrong

You have two options depending on if you want the hazard lights to operate with ignition switch OFF.

Either way you need to run a wire from HOT sides of front turn signals. No need to touch the rear signals.

(Options A) using a SPST switch (Single Pole Single Throw ) . Won't work with ignition off.
The Hazard switch simply bypasses the turn signal switch and connects both sides.

(Option B) Using DPST switch (Double pole single throw switch). Works with ignition on or off.
Hazard switch bypasses the turn signals and feeds the flasher relay (bypasses ignition switch). You can run a wire to the battery with a fuse or to your fuse box ACC1 (I think its ACC1 that is HOT at all time, not sure).

Red arrows show where you need to cut and merge.

Here is a simplified wiring digram of turn signal system for 950 (990 models that don't have hazard lights must be the same):
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
JOHNY_S
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Done it (the first one), didn't work. Must be the flasher relay
JOHNY_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Waterbaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I fitted hazards to my 950 I found a kit made it very easy http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/mechani...rd-lights.html
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
JOHNY_S
n00b

Thanks, I 'll try it.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Oddometer: 205
Thumb Interested also

Please let others (ME ME ME ME ME !!!!) know if you can still find the kit somewhere.

I assume it works with the standard blinkers ?
Alex_RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto View Post
Please let others (ME ME ME ME ME !!!!) know if you can still find the kit somewhere.

I assume it works with the standard blinkers ?
Ebay.

'motorcycle hazard lights'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle...&_stpos=&gbr=1

These are UK sellers i think so you may choose to search yourself?
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post

Red arrows show where you need to cut and merge.
Minor item but you also need a red arrow at the bottom of the diagram where the new switch connects between the ignition switch and flasher relay . Great info .

Dave
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK) View Post
Ebay.

'motorcycle hazard lights'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle...&_stpos=&gbr=1

These are UK sellers i think so you may choose to search yourself?
I did try but i can't seem to locate anything specifically marked as KTM/990/950 hazard lights. I know that (most likely) some of the other kits would work also but i'd like the thing to be as much plug-and-play as possible.

It's not really an urgent matter, in 2 years of KTM ownership i got used to it but... there were a few situations where i REALLY wished i had them.

I'll keep searching for a "specific" kit and with a reasonable price.

Hmm... I'll try to get in contact with somebody from the Ebay shop listed above and see if they can still sell me one.

Thanks, Alex
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Waterbaby
Gnarly Adventurer

The kit was universal, all I had to do was to splice into the two front indictor wires with the 2 green wires from the kit, it didn’t matter which wire went to which indictor, plug in the flasher, connect a switch to a permanent live and that was that.
I have found the kit on ebay the item No is 320471165943

Waterbaby screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 09:37 AM
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Will do :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
The kit was universal, all I had to do was to splice into the two front indictor wires with the 2 green wires from the kit, it didn’t matter which wire went to which indictor, plug in the flasher, connect a switch to a permanent live and that was that.
I have found the kit on ebay the item No is 320471165943
Thank you !

I'll put an order in as soon as i revive my PayPal account. Mind me asking where you installed the on/off switch ?

Alex
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Waterbaby
Gnarly Adventurer

I have made a dashboard behind my screen I have put the rocker switch on there a long with my satnav, pda for memory map and 12v socket
Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
JOHNY_S
n00b

Do you have a photo of your setup?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Waterbaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry no. my bike is in the bike shop at the moment I will take a photo for you when I get it back
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Alex_RO
Wanderer

Kit purchased

We've had record snow levels this winter (that whole freezing Europe thing) so there was no reason to rush things along. Just bought the kit, I'll put up some pictures once the package has been delivered and some after installation (might take 1-2 months for that one though, depending on when the snow will clear).
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
Alex_RO
Wanderer

More questions :)

Alright, so i got the kit from Ebay ( the one from peterborough-imports), set it up and everything worked as advertised (wired to one of the Acc power leads).

What i didn't like is that the DPST button in the kit has to be mounted somewhere on the cowling/dashboard and well..i couldn't figure out how to have it mounted in a really easily accessible way.

So i bought this:

It's a 2007 Ducati Multistrada 1100S left switch. Same as the one mounted on KTM 9X0 Adventures but with the additional hazard lights button (and a different plug on the wires, since it's supposed to be connected to a different wiring loom). I'll simply move all the internals from the standard KTM switch to this switch's plastic housing, whilst keeping the hazard button. This means that everything will look standard, I'll just have 2 leads from the red button that have to be threaded through the rubber sheeting that protects the rest of the wires.

These 2 wires have to be connected to the hazard circuit. This is a problem. The on/off button in the original circuit is a DPST switch (3 prongs) whilst the new red button is a SPST switch (2 buttons) which means that the original circuit has to be adapted.

I've googled a bit and found this page with this simple (and similar enough) schematic to the Ebay one:

Now... it probably will work just fine... I'm just a bit worried that there doesn't seem to be a ground connection anywhere on that circuit (the Ebay one had one).

Will anybody more versed in the ways of the electrons please chime in let me know if that's a problem ?

Thank you, Alex