User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Scapadu OP
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Question R12GS LC lower noise exhaust?

I know this is not what most of the owner are looking for but for guys like me, who are accouphenic (tinnitus), the level of noise generated by the R12GS LC exhaust is not affordable.
Yes i am using earplug (good ones) but i would like not to be obliged to wear them 100% the time. I also have a very good helmet from a noise perspectibe (Schuberth C3) and also a higher screen from GIVI that reduce wind noises.

So the question, even if it may sounds strange: Is there any market solution or any home made stuff that anyone experienced and worked?

That kind of question raised on the 2010 model (which i did not purchase for that particular reason) , with some clues, may be there is some for the LC?

BTW, until the clue comes up, when i want a quite ride, i take my old R1150GSA out of the garage

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo

Scapadu screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 01:23 PM
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
GeorgeKingGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I can't help with your exhaust question, but for those who are wondering accouphenic = Tinnitus. I had to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
I know this is not what most of the owner are looking for but for guys like me, who are accouphenic, the level of noise generated by the R12GS LC exhaust is not affordable.
Yes i am using earplug (good ones) but i would like not to be obliged to wear them 100% the time. I also have a very good helmet from a noise perspectibe (Schuberth C3) and also a higher screen from GIVI that reduce wind noises.

So the question, even if it may sounds strange: Is there any market solution or any home made stuff that anyone experienced and worked?

That kind of question raised on the 2010 model (which i did not purchase for that particular reason) , with some clues, may be there is some for the LC?

BTW, until the clue comes up, when i want a quite ride, i take my old R1150GSA out of the garage
GeorgeKingGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Scapadu OP
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKingGeorge View Post
for those who are wondering accouphenic = Tinnitus. I had to look it up.
Correct, thanks.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Guitar1327
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Lower noise exhaust

Forewarning, I have not tried this but I recently saw a picture of someone's bike on this site who had modified the original muffler and extended the exhaust pipes (two outlets) an additional 10" or so to keep the hot gasses off the bags. I found a link for a company making this product:

http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page612.htm

While this product is not intended for this use I think it may help with your situation. Given that sound pressure level (what you hear) is a logarithmic function that degrades as a function of distance the further you can move that exhaust gas exit point from the reference point (your ears), the better. I'm guessing here, please correct me if I'm wrong, but i would imagine that high pitch sounds are more problematic, no? I would think that adding a longer pipe, even one without any type of attenuation, will decrease the the sound in the highest octave bands the most quickly.

A second alternative would be to have a custom muffler built. If you can bear the idea of having someone build you a very expensive, very heavy muffler you could almost certainly reach a sound level which you find comfortable. I'm imagining something like a 36" long cylinder with an OD around 14" with an ID equivalent to, or slightly larger than the header tube.

Either of these approaches is going to affect the performance, without CFD modeling software or actual testing assigning value to it would be pointless. However, it's interesting to point out that the sound energy generated as a result of the combustion process is much, much less than 1% of the total energy.

Best of luck to you, sir; I hope that you find a solution to your dilemma and an increased desire to ride your new motorcycle.

For reference, I work as a sales engineer for a fan manufacturer and sound, and the mitigation of it, is an important issue for our customers. My 2nd hypothesis follows the standard practice of acoustical silencer construction for air movement in HVAC and industrial processes.
Guitar1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
I know this is not what most of the owner are looking for but for guys like me, who are accouphenic (tinnitus), the level of noise generated by the R12GS LC exhaust is not affordable.

Can you try and block the valves in the exhaust to keep them closed?

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
instead of modding the exhaust , perhaps it would be easier (and cheaper) to buy better earplugs (eg , the silicone moulded one's custom made for your ears type).

and if you're riding the bike as its made to be ridden , wind noise will overcome the noise from the exhaust very easily. Hence earplugs.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Scapadu OP
Motomaniac

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistole View Post
instead of modding the exhaust , perhaps it would be easier (and cheaper) to buy better earplugs (eg , the silicone moulded one's custom made for your ears type).

and if you're riding the bike as its made to be ridden , wind noise will overcome the noise from the exhaust very easily. Hence earplugs.

Thanks for your support but if you read again my initial post, i do wear earplug, effciant and comfortable, but i wish not to have to wear them all the time, especially for short trips and other situation where i want to be able to ear my environnement almost normally.
For what the wind noise is concerned it is just added noise to the exhaust noise, not exactly what i am looking for!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I suffer from tinnitus too, and no matter how big my windshield or how quiet my exhaust, I never ride >25mph or >5 miles without earplugs. I've accepted them as a mandatory safety device, like my helmet.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote