Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #166
dyg
dyg it

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
Back five or six years ago Ducati and Triumph had QD issues because they used plastic QD's. Ducati replaced all their problem units with Colder Product metal units. Triumph denied the problem until NHTSA forced them to make a change. Colder Products makes the QD's you see in the pics in previous posts. If you order them yourself, request Viton O-rings and internal shutoff's. Normal QD's come with Buna-N O-rings which can degrade because of additives in some gas. Viton is resistant to almost anything. The shutoff makes sure that gas under pressure doesn't shoot out of the lines.

P.S. - NHTSA is the right place to go, not EPA. The Triumph case should be a model for this although the problem was with the QD's not the boss like on the GS. Triumph DID have bikes catch on fire.
Thanks for the info - do you know what size/type exactly that you bought from Colder Products for your GS? Did you buy directly from them?

dyg screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:43 PM
dyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #167
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyg View Post
Thanks for the info - do you know what size/type exactly that you bought from Colder Products for your GS? Did you butt directly from them?
I didn't do it on a GS. I have a 2011 and it has a metal cap over that area that is cracking. I did it on a 2002 Triumph ST and wonderful Triumph had about four or five different combinations you had to figure out before you ordered. At least there were several companies that made kits where you could get one for your specific bike. That guy that makes the clamp has the right ones IIRC.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #168
STUFF2C
Banned

Oddometer: 2,593
I'm going to let BMW worry about this one. I'll just let mine go up in smoke and hire one of those "dog bite" attorneys, claim mental anguish, sleep disorders and hair loss. that should get me enough cash for one of those new waterheads.

BTW- mine has cracks too
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #169
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,671
I just installed my collar today. Simple job. So I should be good for another 100K miles. ???

Marc
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #170
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
I'm going to let BMW worry about this one. I'll just let mine go up in smoke and hire one of those "dog bite" attorneys, claim mental anguish, sleep disorders and hair loss. that should get me enough cash for one of those new waterheads.

BTW- mine has cracks too
Don't think of them as cracks, think of them as patina! They add character to an aging scooter.
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #171
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,328
I always laugh when I hear people talk about how awesome BMW's quality is. Honestly don't know why I keep buying them.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #172
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I always laugh when I hear people talk about how awesome BMW's quality is. Honestly don't know why I keep buying them.
Because nothing rides like a BMW!

And before the haters heap on, I have owned plenty of non-BMWs, and enjoyed them.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #173
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,397
Gspot is the gathering place for haters and apologists

We love BMWs, such is our lot in life.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #174
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:

BTW- mine has cracks too
Back in the days that Triumph was having issues there were a couple pics of that "smoke." IIRC one was while the guy was moving down the road. Just remember to have a clear will and next of kin document because it may not be you hiring the attorney.

On quality of build, the Triumph story is well documented, Honda has it's Gold Wing frame break story, HD is .... well HD. All bikes have issues. Something to keep in mind, motorcycles in general are much closer to racing machines than to the average automobile. No bike is going to be bulletproof.

TuefelHunden screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 06:41 AM
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #175
STUFF2C
Banned

the ACE hardware right down the street had one like these in stock... i'm gunna try it for 3 bucks for a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Always thinking would this work from McMaster Carr

5/8"
3/4"
7/8"
1"
1 1/8"
1 1/4"
1 3/8"
1 1/2"

P.S. The bike will run with one fuel line connected correct? Was 700 miles into a trip and heard a noise up front. I looked around and the right fuel line was not connected. I had a few recalls that required removing the tank. I snapped it in on the go and nothing changed.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #176
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,397
Hmmm...it seems to me that there is probably not a lot of force required so maybe something as simple as a tie strap would be enough.

It would probably be better than nothing perhaps especially for a bike that has not yet developed cracks.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #177
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Because nothing rides like a BMW!

And before the haters heap on, I have owned plenty of non-BMWs, and enjoyed them.

Jim
Some truth to that statement. The cockpit is usually roomier and fits better than the other manufacturers.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #178
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
the ACE hardware right down the street had one like these in stock... i'm gunna try it for 3 bucks for a pair.
That's what I put on Kemp's bike to get him home. A little JB Weld doesn't hurt.
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #179
STUFF2C
Banned

Well if it's good enough for Kemp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarin View Post
That's what I put on Kemp's bike to get him home. A little JB Weld doesn't hurt.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #180
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
My 2007 GS developed a small raw fuel smell after my last so i pulled the left side cover and viola! I registered my bike with NHTSA and i am going to order the Beemer Boneyard kit this weekend after i check the other side.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote