Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #212
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
1200GS Fuel Pump Flange Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Regulator bypass?

From Burns Moto: http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php It's a great set of wires to have on NM 9 . . . believe me!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #213
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
From Burns Moto: http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php It's a great set of wires to have on NM 9 . . . believe me!

Mike
Ah! Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #214
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 531
Replacing entire flange assy....

A coupla-few years ago, (before the BBY clamp was avail) I tried using epoxy to surround the cracked flange that was leaking on my 05 1200GS. After my first try with JB weld leaked, I used some loctite mentioned earlier in this thread that was supposed to be fuel resistant. It lasted a pretty good while, but now it's leaking again, and I can't really use the clamp because of all the epoxy....At the time I had bought another pump flange assy, and the expensive ass tool for removing the metal ring just for backup...Once I replace it, I'll add the BBY clamp.

So now I'm getting into it, and would be very appreciative if anyone could point me to a pictorial of how to remove the entire fuel pump assy. Metal ring is off, and I'm looking at a white plastic 'ring' that the flange is sitting on....tempted to just pry it off with a putty knife, but I thought I'd better ask first as I've been known to break things if I didn't understand exactly how to disassemble. I do have new gasket(s).

If it helps, I'll take a pix or two.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #215
flemsmith
lurk

Now I've done it...

My first wife said I had the patience of a rattlesnake, she may have been right.

Here's the white 'ring' I was asking about, the fuel pump flange sits down inside it, evidently pretty tight fit. judging by the fact that I broke it when I pried the flange out.

And here's the original "repair" I did a coupla-few years ago. ugly, but it lasted for awhile.

Now I'll start searching for a source for the ring I broke...I'd still appreciate input from someone who's done this before, obviously I didn't remove it exactly the right way, and I'd like to know that I can reassemble it without breaking anything else. name is roy, but you can call me hamfist.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #216
flemsmith
lurk

Replacing fuel pump flange....

Here's the new one I bought a few years ago, expecting the epoxy fix to eventually fail..

Just have to transfer the fuel pump and its controller from the original assy.

The only difficult part of that is getting the new flex hose end over the flared plastic connector of the fuel pump, it was really stiff. Soaked the end in some boiling water for a bit, used WD40, finally got it on. Ordered the new white ring from A&S, and the clamp and QD fittings from Beemer Boneyard. Now I just need to research how best to reinstall so I don't break the new white ring. Obviously the black gasket goes on the tank first, is there some trick to installing the white ring without dislodging the gasket, or worse breaking the new ring like I did the old? roy
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #217
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I have never hasd to remove the white ring. Just pry the flange assembly a little and it and the rubber gasket will come off and the white ring stays on the tank.
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #218
flemsmith
lurk

help/advice needed...

Yeah, it would have been nice if I'd known how to get the fuel pump out the first time I asked. When I broke the white ring, I must have been prying at the wrong spot....but it sure broke easily.

So now I have a new white ring, it's clearly got a large internal thread, looks like I should just be able to thread it onto the fuel tank...been trying for an hour or two, no luck. It almost acts like it's too small, keeps cocking to the side no matter how much pressure I put on it trying to keep it level as I start threading it.

Someone must have done this before, I know some people have changed out the gas tank. If there's some unique approach that makes this possible, please advise, I haven't figured it out. Thanks for any help. roy
Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #219
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
Yeah, it would have been nice if I'd known how to get the fuel pump out the first time I asked. When I broke the white ring, I must have been prying at the wrong spot....but it sure broke easily.

So now I have a new white ring, it's clearly got a large internal thread, looks like I should just be able to thread it onto the fuel tank...been trying for an hour or two, no luck. It almost acts like it's too small, keeps cocking to the side no matter how much pressure I put on it trying to keep it level as I start threading it.

Someone must have done this before, I know some people have changed out the gas tank. If there's some unique approach that makes this possible, please advise, I haven't figured it out. Thanks for any help. roy
I have not touched this particular fastener before, but something I have found to be helpful with many stubborn or tricky fasteners is to press it lightly into place and then instead of turning it clockwise to screw it in, turn it counter-clockwise as though unscrewing it while maintaining LIGHT pressure until you feel the start of the threads "drop in" to the opening. Then, reverse directions and try screwing it in.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #220
flemsmith
lurk

Thanks, I'll try that....

...seems too simple, but at this stage I'm grateful for any advice I can get. The threads are quite large (coarse?) and it looks like it may take only one good 360 turn to lock it in place.

I get it a little less than halfway, and it cocks slanchwise on me.....tomorrow may be a better day.

roy
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #221
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I have not touched this particular fastener before, but something I have found to be helpful with many stubborn or tricky fasteners is to press it lightly into place and then instead of turning it clockwise to screw it in, turn it counter-clockwise as though unscrewing it while maintaining LIGHT pressure until you feel the start of the threads "drop in" to the opening. Then, reverse directions and try screwing it in.
Yes that's my method. I back the bolt or ring up until I feel it dropping into the threads and then turn CW. In the case of screws threaded into plastic or fiberglass, often when you start to turn them in, they feel somewhat like they are starting new threads so I back them out as stated above and start over and they seem to be in the threads they were originally and then turn in easily. Saves having the threaded holes wear out.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #222
flemsmith
lurk

Success!!

Tried backing into the right spot on the threads, but I don't think that was my issue, as the starting point of the threads on both the white ring and the fuel tanks are so big, they're hard to miss. After a few more failed attempts, I ended up using my heat gun on the white ring a bit. I was hand holding it as I heated it so I would keep from overdoing it.

It was still quite the difficult fit, but mebbe the heat made the ring a bit more flexible, because I was able to get it to thread on then. Took a lot of force, and I dunno if I'd have been able to do it if I hadn't bought the BMW tool that grips the ring in at least four spots so I could put even pressure on it. Thanks for those who responded, now I know how to remove the fuel pump assy with some confidence. On to the BBY clamp and quick disconnects, then I'm ready to put all the plastic back on it.

roy
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #223
flemsmith
lurk

Fuel pump flange gasket....

OK, this should be obvious, but since it wasn't to me, I'll post it for the next person who has never replaced the fuel pump before....The gasket under the fuel pump should be installed first inside the tank (white ring on outside of threaded opening, gasket just fits on inside). Then the fuel pump, might need a light touch of lithium grease, but the main thing is to watch that the fuel pump slips down inside the gasket without deforming or dislodging it. Starting the bike up with the fuel level below the tank will tell you if the QD is not leaking, but it won't tell you about the fuel pump gasket til you put enough gas in so the fuel level is above the fuel pump. Duh.

Trying to install the gasket around the fuel pump first and then installing in the tank is a recipe for a big leak after a fillup. roy
Old 07-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #224
dcsurg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
(Another) fuel leak

2008 R12GS, 18K miles, dealer maintained, last service April 2013 at 16,700 miles, all recalls done.
Riding alone on a small paved back road in rural area in the Central Valley, temperature about 100F, no cell phone service, no human within miles, I noticed gas smell quickly followed by rapid soaking of the left leg pant with gasoline, and when I looked down I saw a rivulet of gas dripping on the left cylinder. Took the fairing down and saw fuel leaking from around the fuel line connector. Stuffed a rag into the area to soak up the leak, and rode 35 miles back home, hoping not to catch fire. When I examined the area in my garage I saw the cracks that many have photographed in great detail in previous posts.
Now, this may very well be a "known" issue, and lots of people here have found a clever number of fixes, some of them working. Of course I did not know about it until I came home and read about it, and learned that the NHTSA is investigating the issue since last year, and there was even an article on the Wall Street Journal about it. What irks me is not so much the mechanical failure that seems to be due to poor choice of material for a high pressure fuel line, but the fact that BMW was aware of the issue, and even applied a band-aid fix to the newer bikes, but chose to leave owners in the dark on the subject, with the real potential for serious injury to occur. Had I been at freeway speed, I might not have smelled the gas or noticed the leak long enough for something to ignite it, and I would not be here writing this. That, to me, is unconscionable. I reported the incident to NHTSA, and will try to get BMW to pay for the repair, but more importantly, to acknowledge the problem and address it before someone gets hurt.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #225
flemsmith
lurk

Good Luck w/ the dealer...

Please post back on here what kind of support you get out of the dealer. 2008 w/ 18K mi. Did you buy it new? Wonder how much that would influence any dealer help/support?

roy