User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
bigsnowdog OP
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Aerostich colors

I am thinking again about buying a one piece, Aerostich suit. I don't want black, and prefer something cooler. I also wonder about visibility.

The hi-viz strikes me as too much. Maybe you will differ. I think I have read that the red turns to pink after many washings. Is that true?

I am trying go decide between blue and gray. Visibility.... sun heat...... cleaning.... what?

Thoughts? Discuss....

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
— Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Did you look at their color combos? You can hav a little high vis and gray or what ever. It breaks up the suit a little. Can you use these for track days do you know?

scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
wa/03/gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
This is a two piece for sale in Washinton, Darien/Blue/Medium/Jacket/Liner..Black Pants 34"..Like new...$600 OBO...WashintonFlyFishing.com Forums/Classified

wa/03/gs screwed with this post 02-27-2005 at 01:27 PM
wa/03/gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog
I am thinking again about buying a one piece, Aerostich suit. I don't want black, and prefer something cooler. I also wonder about visibility.

The hi-viz strikes me as too much. Maybe you will differ. I think I have read that the red turns to pink after many washings. Is that true?

I am trying go decide between blue and gray. Visibility.... sun heat...... cleaning.... what?
The blue is more visible than the grey. The grey might reflect a little more sunlight (and be cooler) -- maybe.

Black never gets dirty but it sure does get hot if you're not moving. When you're underway I can't see how there'd be much of a difference.

Some track day orgs will allow an Aerostich. I wore mine at a NESBA day once.

They say the red will fade over time ...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
bigsnowdog OP
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
The blue is more visible than the grey. The grey might reflect a little more sunlight (and be cooler) -- maybe.

Black never gets dirty but it sure does get hot if you're not moving. When you're underway I can't see how there'd be much of a difference.

Some track day orgs will allow an Aerostich. I wore mine at a NESBA day once.

They say the red will fade over time ...

Are the lighter colors on that red jacket from washing, or is that something else? Is that sun fade?

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
— Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Are the lighter colors on that red jacket from washing, or is that something else? Is that sun fade?
I know a couple of folks with very faded red Darien jackets, and I can tell you that none of 'em got washed very much -- if at all.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 02-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
Blame the sun. Blue fades too. My boring grey/black (actually has a greenish tint) Roadcrafter still looks pretty good after 2 1/2 years. I think I've washed it twice.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
ObiWanJak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I have the standard Gray/Black aerostitch, but I sewed some grey velcro into the front pocket, front glove loop and rear vent and rigged up some matching high-vis panels with corresponding velcro. That gives me visibility when I want it, and low profile when I don't. The material (velcro and 1 yd of hi-vis) cost me less than $10. You could also use some of the solas tape that aerostitch sells...
Loren
ObiWanJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
4iedBandit
Road Warrior Commuter

Oddometer: 356
Everything fades over time...

Quote:

I have a 2-piece roadcrafter in red with gray balistic patches. I've had it for three years. It gets washed once a year in the spring with a waterproofing detergent, and I also scotchguard it so the outside shell resists soaking up water. (it's gortex lined so I don't get wet).

It see's daily use when I'm not out of town for work, or when there's snow and ice on the road.

There's a little fading, but not enough to be noticeable with a casual glance.

So, will it fade? Yes, but it's going to take some time to do it. (unless you ride all day, every day, in the desert sun... )

http://www.4ied.net
4iedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I went with yellow on the shoulders and arms to match my VFR and for vis. though I think my yellow helmet, bright dual headlights and visible bike help more with visibility then any shade of stitch would, I left the legs all black, as I ride in the rain and muck quite a bit, turned out to be a good decision.

Doubt I'd buy another stitch, unless I was commuting daily on the bike. It shines in that roll, but for touring, and general riding, IMHO there are better choices. (Riderwearhouse was unable to fit me in a two piece that would work for anything but a sit up and beg riding style, I might have a higher opinion of the product if I owned a two piece, but I doubt it.)

Mack screwed with this post 02-27-2005 at 05:38 PM
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #11
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
You guys with aerostich is the idea of the one piece to wear it over clothes, or is it your clothes for riding.

Right now I have Joe Rocket pants that go over my clothes for cold weather and mesh pants for summer. I don't commute so when I ride I ride only. I was thinking of leather but it would be hot in the summer unless I get two sets one perforated for summer and one for for winter. I have been thinking of Aerostitch too. I like the idea of a two piece though.
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #12
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
The hi-viz strikes me as too much.

too much is not enough! (ok, sometimes it's just enough)

i'd lean towards hi viz with gray or black shoulders and elbows.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
svracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I'm on my second 1-piece 'stich. Black on black for both... it looks less Mickey Mouse to me than some of the colors.

Yes, the idea for me is to wear over work clothes. I wear it every day if there's no snow/ice and, being in the military, I wear my nice blues 4 days a week. My uniform still looks sharp in any weather.

However, both sets have caused a pain between my shoulder blades in the middle of my back. On a long trip being in the saddle all day my back feels like it has a knife in it. No problems when traveling with my Vanson jacket and jeans. So, I'm thinking of going with a 2-piece setup (Rallye II maybe? ... speaking of Mickey Mouse ), but I love the convenience and comfort of my 1-piece.

Decisions

http://mcclernon.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
svracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
alterations

Quote:
Originally Posted by svracer

However, both sets have caused a pain between my shoulder blades in the middle of my back. On a long trip being in the saddle all day my back feels like it has a knife in it. but I love the convenience and comfort of my 1-piece.

Decisions
have you considered some of the many alterations?

as i poured about a cup of water out of each of my street shoes,i realized i was still dry as a bone from my knees up.
i am sure it was so deep it would have even been over my boots.

by the way , i wear yellow with gray patches,
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
You guys with aerostich is the idea of the one piece to wear it over clothes, or is it your clothes for riding.
The only difference between the one-piece and the two-piece is that you can wear just the jacket, if you choose to, with the two-piece. Other than that, they are functionally the same (there are slight differences i.e. pockets are in different places, one less zipper on the 1-piece, etc).

The idea is to wear the suit over clothing, unlike leathers.