ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
Mellow802
RIDE VT

Oddometer: 41
There was a sign that said "OPEN FOR RECREATION"....also part of the vast network know as vt-15. I checked their website as well but nothing there either.....purposefully vague??
Mellow802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #32
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow802 View Post
There was a sign that said "OPEN FOR RECREATION"....also part of the vast network know as vt-15. I checked their website as well but nothing there either.....purposefully vague??
My basic game plan when riding in unknown areas is that if it isn't signed that I should stay out (ie "private" or "no motorized vehicles", etc.) then I just go for it and plan on claiming my true ignorance should I become later informed of the error of my ways. Plausible Deniability and Purposeful Vagueries (if only that would fit on my license plate).

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
My basic game plan when riding in unknown areas is that if it isn't signed that I should stay out (ie "private" or "no motorized vehicles", etc.) then I just go for it and plan on claiming my true ignorance should I become later informed of the error of my ways. Plausible Deniability and Purposeful Vagueries (if only that would fit on my license plate).
I'm not a lawyer, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont Title 23
1135. Trespass by motor vehicle

(a) A person commits the offense of trespass by motor vehicle if the person, knowing that he or she is not privileged to do so,

(1) operates a motor vehicle and obstructs a private driveway, barway or gateway; or

(2) operates a motor vehicle and travels over a private road which is so marked, or travels over other private lands; or

(3) operates a motor vehicle on any land which is owned or held by the state:

(A) that is not a place or trail specifically designated and marked by the secretary of natural resources for use by motor vehicles; or

(B) contrary to any rule governing the use of the place or trail.

(b) A person who violates this section shall be fined not more than $100.00 for each offense or if the violation results in damage to property the person shall be fined not more than $175.00 for each offense.

(c) As used in this section, "motor vehicle" does not include an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile.

(d) This section shall not apply to any highway open to the public. (Added 1989, No. 247 (Adj. Sess.), 2.)
Emphasis mine, and IANAL...but it seems like the law supports your position. (I'd suggest asking a real lawyer before counting on it, though.) Rather annoying that the state has broader protection on its holdings than private landowners do on theirs, particularly as it complicates things with respect to ancient roads on state land.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #34
Mellow802
RIDE VT

Quote:
That's how I play it as well. I wont poach a marked/posted piece of property.
This place is worth checking out again. On google maps those powerlines go on for a long ways.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,217
Mellow - I think guymanbro is coming my way on Sunday, if so, you are welcome to join him for some NH fun. One of my riders cannot make it.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #36
Mellow802
RIDE VT

Thanks for the invite. Not sure on my schedule but should know soon. What kind of stuff will you guys be riding?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #37
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow802 View Post
Thanks for the invite. Not sure on my schedule but should know soon. What kind of stuff will you guys be riding?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #38
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Hey, HenryMartin where was that?
NHADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #39
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHADV View Post
Hey, HenryMartin where was that?
Those pics are from spring riding between Swanzey and Richmond. Miles and miles. Two weeks ago a fellow rider took me to New Ipswich and Rindge, and it was just as good, and at times even better (the powerlines there are much smoother for a big bike)

I'll make a GPS track this weekend to share.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #40
Mellow802
RIDE VT

Looks like a lot of fun.....really hope I can make it.
Thanks for the pics.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #41
Rebmilc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
New KLR Owner Manchester NH

Hello All

I'm new to duel sport bikes but have ridden both road and dirt for many years. I would love to find some like minded riders in the southern NH area. Just finished a ride in the Danbury NH area that was awesome. Dirt roads, class 6 roads and unmaintained roads on a mountain ridge. Some of the riding was a bit hairy for me to ride alone. I'll post a GPS track when I get it figured out.

Rebmilc = Dislexic Climber
Rebmilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #42
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebmilc View Post
Hello All

I'm new to duel sport bikes but have ridden both road and dirt for many years. I would love to find some like minded riders in the southern NH area. Just finished a ride in the Danbury NH area that was awesome. Dirt roads, class 6 roads and unmaintained roads on a mountain ridge. Some of the riding was a bit hairy for me to ride alone. I'll post a GPS track when I get it figured out.

Rebmilc = Dislexic Climber
Welcome from your southern neighbor! I'm a relative noob to DS as well and am looking for others to ride with. I too feel much better about taking on more challenging terrain when with a riding buddy.... just much safer/smarter IMO. I'm trying to find some area of north central Mass/southern NH to (legally) ride. I picked the brain of a local firefighter friend who gave me some new areas to explore around Winchendon, MA!

Enjoy your KLR! It was too much bike for me to start out with.... she's a heavy pig (and tall) for the uninitiated! Went with the KLX 250, and boy, what a difference *for me*. Give me a shout if/when you'd want to meet up and take on some trails!

CJ
'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #43
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Tom,

My Husky needs to see some of that dirt! Those are just the sort of trails/roads that I've been looking to ride.
I hope that we can make it happen.
I'm in the process of planning a VT Class 4 and Legal Trail route linking trails in various towns near here with minimal road sections. I figure this will be a full day of riding. I'll post it up here when I get it figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku View Post
Very interested, Tom, but lacking in talent. Pix 2,3 and 4 of your post #8 look to be over my head. I ran into some Class IV on Dodge Road in Chester yesterday that almost ate my lunch, but looked easier than your pix.
I'm going to be putting together a route more suited to KLR's and the like without the hard sections pretty soon. I already have some idea of what roads I want to include. I have to get a little more tech savvy and figure out how to make a route on google maps and post it up with a description of the terrain.

Quote:
That's my approach also. Sometimes people put gates up on legal trails and class 4 roads and say they don't want you riding there, but you still have a right as long as you know for sure that you're on the legal trail. It takes some diplomacy sometimes and showing them the town highway map on my netbook sometimes helps.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #44
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Alright ladies

Sunday is on, on, on! Rain on shine (a little moisture never heard anyone, and the weather is warm, plus we have the tree cover). I sent out an email to those invited, one had a change of plans, and one may have to bail early. Still waiting to hear from guymanbro and mellow. Meeting in Swanzey, NH 9:00 am.

Anyone else, give me a shout, as there still might be room.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #45
Rebmilc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Noob but willing

Hello Again all

De Oppresso Liber thanks for the reply we should definitely go for a ride. The KLR is a big bike but I lowered it 1.5 inches and feel pretty good on it now. Is anyone heading out this weekend for a ride. Anyone want to initiate a new rider game on trying some technical terrain? Anyone want to teach an old dog new tricks? Think of it as a challenge I might surprise you.

Reb Milc
Rebmilc is offline   Reply With Quote