ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #91
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
I only know that it starts at "Dick's" wherever the hell that is.
The start is located at #198, Rt 100, Stockbridge VT. Look for the NETRA arrows and follow the dirt road down into the field.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #92
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
The start is located at #198, Rt 100, Stockbridge VT. Look for the NETRA arrows and follow the dirt road down into the field.
Thanks NR,
I appreciate it! I was hoping to make it for Sat. but someone volunteered me for a different gig without telling me till today. Now I'm hoping to make it for Sunday. - Tom

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #93
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I'm planning on spending a few days exploring the dirt roads, class IV roads, and legal trails of Southern Vermont sometime in the next month. I've been going through all the AOT maps and trying to mark waypoints of where interesting stuff may be, but honestly it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Does anyone have any inside info they would be willing to share? Roads, routes, GPS tracks, etc?

I'm looking for tips on areas to stay away from as well. I'll be on my GS with knobbies and would prefer big bike doable routes.
I live just outside if Bratt. PM me any time, me and my GSA know some stuff around here!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #94
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,426
I bought a 2003 KLR from a towing company ealrier this year. Henry Martin brokered the deal, and can attest to how rough the bike was. Mechanically, it seemed ok, but it had been in an ass over tea kettle accident. The instrument cluster was trashed, the headlight shroud was totalled, and various other plastic and metal parts were demolished.

I have been in the process of reworking it, and here are some pics of the progress.

Headlight shroud, or what's left of it.

Front Fender. A bit cracked and twisted.

Headlight/Shroud bracket twisted

What gauge?

I welded and painted the aluminum seat/ trunk brackets.

"New" Cluster, shroud, bracket, etc. I threw in some new bar risers while I was at it.

I fixed teh crack on this plastic using JB Weld on teh back side, and then sanded, and painted

Now she is ready to ride. I also replaced the stock pegs with some wider more aggressive pegs. I did just realize my front wheel is warped from the accident it had been through, so I need to get a wheel, and I plan to put knobbies on it.

I also replaced the exhaust. The pipe that was on it had holes in it, and was louder than a jack hammer. I went back to stock.

Needless to say, I will be doign a bit of offroading with you folks soon. Looking forward to it.
AndyCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #95
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Dual Sport Ride Sat. 27th or Sun. 28th

Still trying to find anyone interested in doing a one day ride in the Fairlee, Topsham, Groton area. I've got some nice gravel, trails and class 4 picked out. Winters coming!

I'm thinking about offering camping at my house for Friday or Saturday night. There's plenty of room, a BBQ grill, a covered patio and picnic table, fire pit and I'm getting a price for a portable toilet.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 03:29 PM
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #96
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

AndyCap, Nice to see you've saved the KLR from the scrap heap! Good job on the repairs.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #97
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Still trying to find anyone interested in doing a one day ride in the Fairlee, Topsham, Groton area. I've got some nice gravel, trails and class 4 picked out. Winters coming!

I'm thinking about offering camping at my house for Friday or Saturday night. There's plenty of room, a BBQ grill, a covered patio and picnic table, fire pit and I'm getting a price for a portable toilet.
I'm interested. Pick a date. Any mid-week riding?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #98
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:

I'm interested, but I'm currently running into trouble sourcing a new rotor carrier (something like this, although for a KTM hub. Until I do that, my bike has no front brake and is staying in the garage...
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #99
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,274
There is a fellow ADVer from PA coming up to Troy, NH around Labor Day. I'll be taking him on a local trail ride, Saturday, Sept 3 from, in the Swanzey/Troy/Richmond area. For those who ran with me before(NewHampWoodsrider, Guymanbro, fd1122, Jim, TMoran, et cetera), it is pretty much the same trails we had ridden. For him, though, it is something entirely new. I don't mind riding the same trails again, as they are always fun and challenging. I'll probably take him down to Mackey Rd, do the leg to Whitcomb's sandpits, go back up Old Troy Hill Rd, up around the waterfall, end up on old Richmond Rd trail, go to old County Lane, cross over to Fish Hatchery Rd, go up under the powerlines to the old cemetery, then up and over the other powerlines and do the Troy side loop that ends up by the Troy RR depot.

We are looking to ride from about 8:30 am to about 1pm. Meeting at the Troy Arctic Cat, as he needs to get a NH sticker.

If the usual suspects or someone new wants to join, have a go at it.

As always, not a race. We want to make it home in one piece
Updated time and place will be posted here.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #100
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Can't make it there by 8:30 but might try to be up in that area on that day (if family plans permit). Those "roads" and p-line trails are fun. The p-lines can be challenging in places. Make sure to take the PA guy into the cemetary crypt (no, I have not ventured down into it). When I have gone there, I have not had an ORV sticker. I suppose that is required if you venture off the class 6 roads and onto the p-lines or other trails. I don't get up there very often so $65 for the out-of-state sticker kinda stinks (the bike is street plated). When I ride at Hop-Ev I always have a sticker but I take a non-street-plated bike.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #101
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:

I'm definitely into it. Now we just gotta sort out some dates...

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #102
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
There is a fellow ADVer from PA coming up to Troy, NH around Labor Day. I'll be taking him on a local trail ride, Saturday, Sept 3 from, in the Swanzey/Troy/Richmond area. For those who ran with me before(NewHampWoodsrider, Guymanbro, fd1122, Jim, TMoran, et cetera), it is pretty much the same trails we had ridden. For him, though, it is something entirely new. I don't mind riding the same trails again, as they are always fun and challenging. I'll probably take him down to Mackey Rd, do the leg to Whitcomb's sandpits, go back up Old Troy Hill Rd, up around the waterfall, end up on old Richmond Rd trail, go to old County Lane, cross over to Fish Hatchery Rd, go up under the powerlines to the old cemetery, then up and over the other powerlines and do the Troy side loop that ends up by the Troy RR depot.

We are looking to ride from about 8:30 am to about 1pm. Meeting at the Troy Arctic Cat, as he needs to get a NH sticker.

If the usual suspects or someone new wants to join, have a go at it.

As always, not a race. We want to make it home in one piece
Updated time and place will be posted here.
I'll come back for a second helping - if I can get a hall pass (or convince her to come along). It's the first full weekend my wife will be around since mid July... I loved the riding in the area, in spite of the hefty cost (in addition to getting my ORV sticker, I lost one quick release Ortleib saddlebag containing Olympia Ranger IIs, a rain jacket, and a spare set of gloves).

I'll let you know my status as the day draws closer...

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #103
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
I'll come back for a second helping - if I can get a hall pass (or convince her to come along). It's the first full weekend my wife will be around since mid July... I loved the riding in the area, in spite of the hefty cost (in addition to getting my ORV sticker, I lost one quick release Ortleib saddlebag containing Olympia Ranger IIs, a rain jacket, and a spare set of gloves).

I'll let you know my status as the day draws closer...
How's that video coming along?

BTW, I'll try to make it to your neck of the woods before the snow comes, although it will be likely on my other bike with Anakees so full blown dirt is a limited option.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #104
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy View Post
Can't make it there by 8:30 but might try to be up in that area on that day (if family plans permit). Those "roads" and p-line trails are fun. The p-lines can be challenging in places. Make sure to take the PA guy into the cemetary crypt (no, I have not ventured down into it). When I have gone there, I have not had an ORV sticker. I suppose that is required if you venture off the class 6 roads and onto the p-lines or other trails. I don't get up there very often so $65 for the out-of-state sticker kinda stinks (the bike is street plated). When I ride at Hop-Ev I always have a sticker but I take a non-street-plated bike.
Actually, this is where we, as DS bike owners get the short end of the stick. Even the class VI roads require a bike sticker. You can take your SUV on the trails without OHRV sticker, if it is street plated. but a street plated bike requires the sticker on any of the unmaintained roads as well as trails.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #105
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the info Henry. Wasn't aware that ORV applied to NH class 6 roads. I'll suck it up and get the sticker for next time. If I can get out that Saturday I'll look for you guys around mid-day. When I ride up in that area I usually park and unload at Lake Denison in Baldwinville, MA and ride up the Templeton "turnpike" into Fitzwilly.