Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
I think you already figured out what I am about to suggest. One of the stops sheared off my Husky. I took it to a machine shop and was going to have them build it back up with welding but I also suggested they could flatten it, drill and tap it for a bolt. He liked that idea and finished by epoxying the bolt in place.

BEFORE

AFTER

Good luck with your project.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I did actuality look at that but the rear mounting bolts for the finder are right where the stops needs to be. that's why I've settled on the bracket. it will also serv as some where to mount the KTM finder brace and a mounting point to bolt the wiring harness box and horn.

I'm heading to town now to see if I can get the brackets cut out for me. more to come.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well I got the plates made, but I forgot to explain how they cardboard cut out was mint to be used and they used it backwards. so I've had to grind the welds off carry it over to my dads shop and weld it the tabs back on in the right place. and to use the drill press to drill all the wholes. for bolts. i should have everything mounted back up tonight. tomorrow morning at the latest.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well I had problems with my brackets. I've got to mod the stop some more as for the mounting bracket for my speedo. I'll get to it tomorrow. I'll get y'all so pictures tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
So if you have the entire XR400 why not put the XR500 engine into the XR400 frame? I did this with an 1983 XT600 years ago after I blew it up (put a 1979? XT 250 engine in it to get buy) I had been riding the XT250 in its stock configuration but the newer frame geometry of the 600 was way better... just my 2cents.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggurn View Post
So if you have the entire XR400 why not put the XR500 engine into the XR400 frame? I did this with an 1983 XT600 years ago after I blew it up (put a 1979? XT 250 engine in it to get buy) I had been riding the XT250 in its stock configuration but the newer frame geometry of the 600 was way better... just my 2cents.

there's a few answers to this. and if you look through he pictures you'll see the XR4 motor sitting on the work bench completely put back together. So I'll answer a few questions as to why I'm doing this.

the XR was going to be my new DS bike. I got it cheep in boxes. and missing a oil cooler. I now have every part here. I built fixed the problem with the motor but in rebuilding it I found 5 bolts striped. one head stud and 4 valve cover bolts. I had robed the headlight and needle from it for the Old XL at this point. Also I don't have a tittle on the XR and we don't know what state it first came from. I got it from a guy in FL. and they couldn't find any info on it with that state. Now I could ge a bonded tittle but I don't feel like it. so I have a dirtbike that's in pieces with a motor that i need to pull completely back down to fix 5 striped bolt holes and i can't get a tag for it regardless. Nope not going to happen. I'll keep it for parts and I'll find a XR4 I can DS and have a lot of good parts for it.

So i have my Old XL. I ride it. I love it, but it's out dated. I can't find front brake shoes and it needs them. Humm i wonder if the XR front will fit. so i look the bearings up and they are the same. so I do a little looking at the two bikes. Yes putting the 500 motor in teh 400 frame crosed my mind, but the 500 is a lot bigger. see the 500 is also the bottom part of the frame. and it's not a dry sump motor. the 400 is. won't work.

So now I'm on the making one cool XL500R. the fate of the 400 is probably going to be cut up to make my one wheeled trailer later on. I think that covers the whys. At this point I could sale the bottom end of the XR and some of the other parts i don't need and I would only have $1150 in my Old XL. As it sits if you include what i've spent on the XR I'm up to $1500.

Like I said. I'm broke. i have the two bikes sitting here. I've spent $26 on this conversion so far and after i buy a new tire a mount for my mirror and a brake light switch I'll have about $120 in it. i could cut that down if I swapped the tire from the XL rim to the XR rim but it's at 50% ware so I might as well replace it.

Also i have a KTM200MXC so i don't need the XR for a dirtbike. It took me 6 months to decide to do this. I've looked at the XR for a year, and I've tinkered with it and bought things for it all along the way.

in the end I wanted to do something cool. this is what I came up with.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well i got the steering stop fineshed today and mounted. even adding a cool little add on peace. one more bracket to finish tonight and all that will be left is the mirror mount, brake light switch and a tire.

here be the pics.

I for got to tell the guys at the welding shop exactly how the thing was suppose to be made and when i first test fit it, it wouldn't work. so a little of this.

and then a test fit.

well that isn't going to work the tabs are in the wrong place, so i cut teh welds and headed over to my dads shop to weld them back on in the right place.

I came back to my shop and test fit it again. needs some more grinding to fit. it was hitting the stop in the frame so I had to grind the arch out some more.

Well two days of grinding welding grinding drilling holes welding some more then more grinding. test fit and boom got it. a little pant and I have this.

time to mount and test.

perfection

now looking at this i got a idea... I have a extra KTM part i need to do something with. what to do....

that is how she sits for now. more to come.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was have a good day today until the prick at work causes problems and pissed off my cover man. It's takes me 3 years to get a cover guy. and they treat him like shit. but that's no surprise because they do the same to me. Now this isn't my boss it's other employees. My boss is great. anyway i just needed to get that out. here's a update pic. i'll get a few more later.

I got the top mount finished today. and got everything mounted up. the only thing that has a problem is my wires, they refuse to go back into the holder, and the choke. I'm going to have to relocate it. I'll fix that later. here's a shot from the front with the headlight just hug there because I've got to make sure I've got it wired right. wires are the same color on the bulb side..

So here it be.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
Looking great!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. and if anyone wants to know that brace is off my KTM. I changed to a newer stile fender that it would not work with. I had to put a newer brace on that bike to match the fender on it so I've had that brace laying around my shop for a few years now. It's the stock brace off a 98 KTM200MXC

I'm going to work on all the wires tomorrow since it refuses to go where it is suppose to go. and I may just take that silver box off the front as well. it wont serve any purpose anymore. Hopeing to get a tire on it tomorrow and give it a try. And see how hard it's going to be to get the forks adjusted.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well I went out today and taped up the wiring, mounted the light, moved the hand guards, put a few zip ties on it. I sat on it and it feels.... different. I'm looking forward to try it out.

so I pushed it back so i could get a better shot of it. All that is left to do is put a tire on it and try it out.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #27
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

the front end swap is done. i have not road it yet. I will post a report when i do that and I get some outside shots when i do. it feels a little stiff just sitting on it and pushing down on the forks with the brake locked. But that's a good thing because the old forks where way soft. i haven't turned the clickers to see where they are set I'll do that before I ride it.

so what y'all have been waiting to see is here, have a look.

and to compare, before

Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 928
Great bike, had one last year (XL500R) but sold it and got an XR400RY

Nice to see the old bike being used- but you gotta get rid of that horrid aftermarket headlight thing & put the other one back on
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

heck no.. pant it maybe. but i can see at night with that headlight and the number plate throws the air up just enough I can ware my off road helmet with out it trying to remove my head.

I've been thinking of panting it but i haven't settled on a color yet.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok since the ugly headlight has been pointed out. I've been toying with the idea of panting it since I put it on there. what do y'all think of this idea.

from this.