Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #31
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
or just paint it black. Either will look better than the white.

Looks like a fun project. I have been toying with the idea of putting YZ426 forks on the BMW. I am sick of replacing seals. They go out about every 3000 miles. The YZ fix is what many have done. Have to be resprung for the havier bike and a few plates and such fabbed up.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,911
mine really wasn't that hard. getting the plates made and right was the worst part if I would of had the tools to cut the mettle here it would of been easier. and a welder. having to go else where to drill cut and weld the brackets was a pain because i didn't have the bike there to test fit.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got the pant today .. i forgot to get the bonding agent.. I'll do that tomorrow.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

first ride out on the Old XL with eh XR forks.. felt good except for a wobble on gravel. I'm not talking head shake i mean a wobble. no I thought maybe it's the tire i used so i hit the highway.. nothing, it was as smooth as could be. so no way it's the tire or rim. going to jack it back up and look at that again anyway. I think it's just sitting higher in the front then it did and that is causing it. I'll lower it some if I see no warp in the tire and rim. and OH MY GOD what a front brake. oh and it has no wobble on pavement wile on the brake ether I think it's just sitting to high.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Nice Job

It looks good, I'm liking your fairing. If I ever find a local XR with disc, then I too may try this. Good job.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #36
bighaasfly
Something to shoot for

Oddometer: 89
My buddy had a '82 XL500. Rode the snot out of it for years. The previous owner had seized the motor when he forgot to add oil after an oil change. He let it cool down, added the missing oil and sure enough it broke lose and started! He sold it to my friend who rode it for years afterward, never having investigated the previously seized motor. My friend sold it to a third party (by now it was largely held together with bailing wire and 2 part epoxy) and I believe it is still chugging around our home town with somebody to this day!! Great bike and will be a loyal companion no doubt!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #37
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
It looks good, I'm liking your fairing. If I ever find a local XR with disc, then I too may try this. Good job.

yeah the swap was easy. And once i figure out what is causing the wobble it will be great. it felt really good every where else. the front was a lot firmer but it ate the bumps nicely. I'm also going to check the sag I never checkd it before because it just worked where it was. I'll get it set up and let y'all know who it works out. I'm going back to work this week so my time to work on my bike just got cut big time.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #38
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

the first color is on.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
Your bike is looking great!

I agree with the colors for the fairing. It might look more "factory" if you stick with a square panel of black above the headlight, somewhat like a 1983 XL600R. When you do the black, you may want to touch up the side plates at the same time. It would really bring a restored look to the bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #40
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Your bike is looking great!

I agree with the colors for the fairing. It might look more "factory" if you stick with a square panel of black above the headlight, somewhat like a 1983 XL600R. When you do the black, you may want to touch up the side plates at the same time. It would really bring a restored look to the bike.
yeah I'm trying to find some black backgrounds to redo those. I haven't located any yet. I really don't want to pant those.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #41
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

number plate is panted. I'll get pics tomorrow. we lowered the front half an inch and checked the sag. sag was fine. took it out and most of the wobble was gone. it only wobbles when I was on the gas. so I'm going to drop it a little more and I think it will be fixed. we took it off road and it felt great there. I'll have pics of it all back together tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #42
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I feel like I've been kicked by a mule, but i went out and dropped the front end a little more and put the headlight back on. so here's pic of the finale product.

I'm going to look more into putting the XR4's swingarm on it because I really like how it sat when it was taller. the XR's swing arm will move the rear tie back 3.5 inches and raise the rear some. That should let me raise the front back up with out getting the wobble back. More to come when I get the time to do more swapping.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #43
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
looking good! Do you know if the XR4 swing arm is a direct swap? Your doing really good with this bike. Shes gonna be a great bike when your done.
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #44
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
looking good! Do you know if the XR4 swing arm is a direct swap? Your doing really good with this bike. Shes gonna be a great bike when your done.

it's not a direct swap. I'm going to have to fab. a few parts. best i can tell it's the same width at the frame. The XL has roller bearings and the XR swing arm has sealed bearings. I'll have to make a mount for the rear master cylinder and mod the brake peddle to work it. and i think i can use the XL's linkage it's off set to the left and the XR's is centered on the lower frame cross bar. the only why I'm truly going to know is to have them both off and do some comparing. I can make it work i just may have to move the mount for the lower linkage.

I'm saving this mod for this winter. I've still got to research a cush drive for the XR rear hub. i may have to go with a sprocket that has it built into it. needless to say i've got more research to do on it. I also want to put the oil cooler on it first. It needs that badly.

more will come but it's going to be a few months down the line. Got to stick some cash back

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #45
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok anyone that fallowed this build. After a few months of riding ajusting, setting the sag way tighter then normal changing the air pressure I run my tires at. I can honestly say this was a great swap. We ended up pulling the forks off and flushing the old oil (well i think it was oil) and replaceing it with 7wt oil. then bike ride great handles wonderful on and off road. the rear shock is a bit pogoy off road but there's no ajustment on it.

I got a yamaha FZ-1 for a long distance road bike so the Old XL doesn't get out as much as it did but i still enjoy it when I want to go ride gravle.

I havn't done the Oill cooler mod yet. and I haven't doen the swing arm yet. i have other projectes that have to be done first.

Anyway I just wanted to give yall an up date. i've put around 1500 miles on her with the swap done and it's defently a better bike now.