Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #46
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN rider View Post
There are professionals and non professionals (I am the later) and am sure that there are people that have not seen Lake Superior and it's magnificent scenery. Some day I hope to start my first ride report. They are a lot of work and much appreciated.

Thanks for your comments....I hope to see the time when you do decide to try one of your own. I love reading other RR's and I would guess that I've spent an average of 3 to 4 hrs. a day for the past couple of years doing that.
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 723
Great RR and pictures. Flows real nice.

I think you did the right direction going clock wise. I've done it both ways, and would prefer clock wise. Most of the turn offs to the sites are on the right, and you can pull off much easier. I wished I stopped more to hike like you both did. That's the way to do it. Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #48
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
There is one on the Sleeping Giant, (ask for a spot on the backside of the lake, there's only seven right on Marie Louise Lake,and I mean RIGHT on thie lake) ,a KOA 2k from the city, Kakabeka Falls, Trowbridge Falls, almost right in the city(but closed right now, due to construction)
Other than the KOA, the signs to get them are pretty terrible, as is the case with most of the natural attractions around here.

Thanks for the info....we almost went into the Sleeping Giant area but decided not to due to the lack of time. I'm still wondering if we missed something that we shouldn't have?

Gary
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #49
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Thanks for the info....we almost went into the Sleeping Giant area but decided not to due to the lack of time. I'm still wondering if we missed something that we shouldn't have?

Gary
The ride in very nice, but a LOT of deer. You could spend a week there, easily.

As I have said to many people, most of the good stuff is just off the highway...and it sounds like you at least found some places.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #50
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
The ride in very nice, but a LOT of deer. You could spend a week there, easily.

As I have said to many people, most of the good stuff is just off the highway...and it sounds like you at least found some places.

We have tons of deer around here too. Our neighbor was killed a few years ago riding about 50 mph with four other bikes when a deer jumped in front of him. One of the antlers pierced his heart, killing him instantly!

Yes, we did find some very interesting things along the way and missed a bunch too, unfortunately!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #51
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post

I think you did the right direction going clock wise. I've done it both ways, and would prefer clock wise. Most of the turn offs to the sites are on the right, and you can pull off much easier. I wished I stopped more to hike like you both did. That's the way to do it. Thanks for posting this.
I kind of thought about it that way too so thanks for your thoughts about it. We did stop some and saw a few things that were a little ways off of the main road but we should've done more of that. The trouble with that is it really takes away a lot of riding time.

Thanks again,

Gary
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #52
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:

Sunday Rider,

I just thought about this, but did you ever do a RR on either one or both of those rides that you took? I'm not sure if one ride will be enough for me and I'm thinking if I really studied this route a little better, I could have a lot of fun doing it all over again. Maybe next summer even!

Gary "Oldone"

Oldone screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 05:40 AM
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #53
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Sunday Rider,

I just thought about this, but did you ever do a RR on either one or both of those rides that you took? I'm not sure if one time will be enough for me and I'm thinking if I really studied this a little better, I could have a lot of fun doing it all over again. Maybe next summer even!

Gary "Oldone"
I just took a few pictures the first time, and was riding with a couple of other riders, who didn't want to stop too much. Last year, I was returning from Idaho, and had a perfect day for riding through Kakabeka Falls stopping over night in Wawa (Algoma Motel, not as cool a place as where you stopped). I had a perfect day, with little traffic.

I am not sure if I am up to the writing quality of the ride reports I have seen on here.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #54
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
I just took a few pictures the first time, and was riding with a couple of other riders, who didn't want to stop too much. Last year, I was returning from Idaho, and had a perfect day for riding through Kakabeka Falls stopping over night in Wawa (Algoma Motel, not as cool a place as where you stopped). I had a perfect day, with little traffic.

I am not sure if I am up to the writing quality of the ride reports I have seen on here.
I know what you mean about the quality of those ride reports but these people on here are totally awesome and seem to accept about anything that you do. That's the way they've treated me, and I'm really grateful for that. I think we have a wonderful, caring bunch of people here and it's meant a lot to me. You should go ahead and try it. It'll turn out fine!

Gary
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #55
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Great job on the RR. Hope things get sorted and you can make a run on the PCH in the future.

Safe travels!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #56
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,531
I enjoyed this trip report very much. Thanks for finding the time to do it. It was smooth.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #57
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Great job on the RR. Hope things get sorted and you can make a run on the PCH in the future.

Safe travels!
Hi Bobw,

I think you were the one who helped me out a couple of years ago when I knew even less than I do now! Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I'd love to be able to make the PCH ride one of these times, that's for sure.

Gary "Oldone"
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #58
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I enjoyed this trip report very much. Thanks for finding the time to do it. It was smooth.
Siyeh,

Thanks for the nice comment....I can always use something to tell me it wasn't as bad as I keep thinking that it was! We have two kids that live in Alaska, so my next project is to click on your Alaska link to see what that's all about.

Thanks again,

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 07:26 AM
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #59
Oldone OP
One day at a time!

Quote:
Siyeh,

Thanks for the nice comment....I can always use something to tell me it wasn't as bad as I keep thinking that it was! We have two kids that live in Alaska, so my next project is to click on your Alaska link to see what that's all about.

Thanks again,

Gary "Oldone"

Siyeh,

I just read about your Alaska trip yesterday and that was really very interesting. I usually read most of those since our kids live there and this was right up there among the best of them, I thought.

Thanks much.....

Gary "Oldone"

Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #60
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,026
Your ride report was excellent..