ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
beisenberg OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
nyc riders?

Hi,

So, I've been considering moving to NYC from San Francisco, and I'm curious if there's any decent riding remotely accessible. I have the luxury of some of the best riding in the country within an hour from my house, and Mexico only a day away. I know how spoiled we are, but I have to imagine that there's some decent riding within an hour or two of NYC.

Any help or advice, or pointers to local riders would be fantastic.

best,
brett
Old 03-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Sitnon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Brett,
You do have a bit of motorcycle heaven over there, but trust that there is some nice riding around New York as well. If you cross the George Washington Bridge and head north on the Palisades Parkway you'll find yourself in prime riding territory. Harriman State Park is about 30 minutes north and has some great roads. Of note is Seven Lakes Drive which winds and bends through the forest along seven lakes. It's a wonderful place to explore by yourself on weekdays or with the other bikers that are always there during weekends. If you have more than an hour there's an abundance of great destinations. The Adirondack Mountains are about 4 hours north and provide an amazing place to lose yourself either in the euphoria of excellent riding or simply the fire trails snaking their way through the mountains. A beautiful ride is up the Taconic State Parkway towards the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts and it gets even better in Vermont. West 'by god' Virginia is only 6 to 7 hours south and is a destination all bikers should have once in their lives. Further south North Carolina is another type of heaven with the famed Deals gap among hundreds of miles of other wonderful twisties. There is plenty to keep you busy over here. The only thing you may miss is the four to five months of riding during the winter. Other than that, you'll have a ball checking out this portion of the country. I could go on and on about the beauty of New England and the very near Atlantic provences of Canada, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck!

Curtis
Sitnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
beisenberg OP
Adventurer

excellent info

Thanks Curtis. That sounds very promising. Is there anything odd about owning bikes in NYC that i should be aware of?

b
Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by beisenberg
Thanks Curtis. That sounds very promising. Is there anything odd about owning bikes in NYC that i should be aware of?

b
I dont keep my bike in the city, but I've never had any trouble, so far, when I do go, and I like to take the bikes partly because parking is so much easier. Canal Street and the BQE are like the Road of Bones. You could lose fillings.

I'm living up in the foothills of the Catskills, which are like foothills to most folks, but I've got a Ton of good riding. Get in touch if you'ld like to get out some...I 'm always up for a ride. I'm an hour and a half out of Manhattan at mortal speeds. My friends with real (fast) bikes get here from the city in an hour, and from here, everything Sitnon said is true. Plus the pyschos from Albany and Max's BMW keep things interesting, if you like DualSporting. Maine and Canada and the Scotias are a days drive, also.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Hi,
So, I've been considering moving to NYC from San Francisco, and I'm curious if there's any decent riding remotely accessible. I have the luxury of some of the best riding in the country within an hour from my house, and Mexico only a day away. I know how spoiled we are, but I have to imagine that there's some decent riding within an hour or two of NYC. Any help or advice, or pointers to local riders would be fantastic.best,
brett
There's some excellent riding less than an hour from NYC in NJ- hundreds of miles. You'll be plesantly suprised. Keep an eye on the East forum at this site. Rides appropriate for both the KTM and the Aprilia ('specially if you like track days!)
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
Sitnon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Brett,
Parking is not a problem at all here in Manhattan. Bikes are stolen, but it's usually the smaller, lighter crotch rockets that can be thrown in a van by a couple of determined guys. I've also been told by parking cops that they rarely even write bikes tickets. Don't hold me to this as I've gotten plenty of tickets, but I've gotten away with it much more often than not. At night I'll just throw a cover over my bike, and sometimes a kryptonite lock on the rear wheel. The only time I've ever heard of a problem was with my friend's GS who lives up on 157 and Broadway. It's not too bad, but it's definitely not the nicest part of town. After having a bike up there for four years always parked on the street someone tried to crack the ignition with a screwdriver or something. The biggest problem with riding a bike on te street are the cabbies or just the people that are pissed off they can do what you're doing through traffic. I have to say I have so much fun cruising the streets of the city. It's an adventure itself.

Curtis
Sitnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnon
Brett,
Parking is not a problem at all here in Manhattan. Bikes are stolen, but it's usually the smaller, lighter crotch rockets that can be thrown in a van by a couple of determined guys. I've also been told by parking cops that they rarely even write bikes tickets. Don't hold me to this as I've gotten plenty of tickets, but I've gotten away with it much more often than not. At night I'll just throw a cover over my bike, and sometimes a kryptonite lock on the rear wheel. The only time I've ever heard of a problem was with my friend's GS who lives up on 157 and Broadway. It's not too bad, but it's definitely not the nicest part of town. After having a bike up there for four years always parked on the street someone tried to crack the ignition with a screwdriver or something. The biggest problem with riding a bike on te street are the cabbies or just the people that are pissed off they can do what you're doing through traffic. I have to say I have so much fun cruising the streets of the city. It's an adventure itself.

Curtis
I found it harder to ride on the garden state pkwy than NYC. People in Joisey are fucking nuts! I never had to kick so many doors in my life!
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
beisenberg OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I'm living up in the foothills of the Catskills, which are like foothills to most folks, but I've got a Ton of good riding. Get in touch if you'ld like to get out some...I 'm always up for a ride. I'm an hour and a half out of Manhattan at mortal speeds. My friends with real (fast) bikes get here from the city in an hour, and from here, everything Sitnon said is true. Plus the pyschos from Albany and Max's BMW keep things interesting, if you like DualSporting. Maine and Canada and the Scotias are a days drive, also.
Thanks, Stagehand. If I do end up moving there, I'll be sure to try to instigate a a little east-west advrider action ;) My KTM950 will be even more ridiculous in NYC than it is in SF, but I think it will be a good excuse to motard-up a 450EXC for shorter city jaunts.

I'm guessing I'll have to find a garage in brooklyn, or somewhere else close, to store my bikes + work on them. Is that a lot harder there, even 30min from Manhattan? While I've lived in NYC before, I didn't have bikes at the time so I never really thought about it.

brett
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,015
Quote:
My KTM950 will be even more ridiculous in NYC than it is in SF, but I think it will be a good excuse to motard-up a 450EXC for shorter city jaunts.
brett
Good idea. I was out today on mine. 67 degrees here in the NY Metro area. Some very nice roads out in Hunterdon County, NJ.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
I'm guessing I'll have to find a garage in brooklyn, or somewhere else close, to store my bikes + work on them. Is that a lot harder there, even 30min from Manhattan? While I've lived in NYC before, I didn't have bikes at the time so I never really thought about it.

brett
There are two motorcycle only garages in the city - Rising Wolf (212-475-5858) and my friend Peter (212-674-5362). They both have waiting lists and you should call now if you want a space. Other garages will take bikes but you won't be able to work on them. Finding your own garage in Manhattan is a myth - don't bother. Finding one in Brooklyn is far harder than finding an apartment but with a few guys you can find something. Jersey is much better but can be a hassle to commute.

We have had spaces in all of them and now are in Jersey. Every couple of years gentrification punts us out but it's nice for the time being. Don't leave a nice bike overnight on the street - especially uncovered.

Feel free to email me with questions. Oh, and your 950 will be right at home - mine loves the city.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
beisenberg OP
Adventurer

Thanks Gregor, that's extremely helpful. I'll give them both a call soon, and i'm glad i'll see at least one 950 roaming the streets ;)

b
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Rusty_H
no title needed

Oddometer: 1,027
head north to CT, great riding all over here once you get past New Haven. 10 min. for me and theres a 27000 arce state park that you can trail ride in. and lets not forget the white mountains of NH/VT thats only 6 hours or so from NYC
Old 03-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,011
Ignore them all

There NO good riding in Jersey and NY. Too many of those curve things on the hi-ways and the off-road is even worse, I mean when was the last time they grew TREES around trails. SHEESH, it's a forkin' nightmare around here.
Nope, no good riding around here.

deerslayR

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #14
Donald Duck
QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer: 853
Riding around the NYC is just great...short season is bitching thats all about We call 40's balmy, go figure...

All in all, I'm happy here; and wouldn't change boring seasons and horrible traffic of "freeways" in CA to East Coast, from Maine to SC at all... We have intellectual and satisfying things to do in off season too.

Bighorn screwed with this post 03-19-2005 at 08:57 PM
Donald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_H
head north to CT, great riding all over here once you get past New Haven. 10 min. for me and theres a 27000 arce state park that you can trail ride in.
Where is the legal trail riding in CT? Very limited - Pachaug needs a street plate to connect a limited amount of trails (so OK for Adventure/dualsport riders), and Thomaston Dam is overcrowded and dangerous on weekends.

There is zero legal riding in CT for quads, though that is off topic to this forum.

There are many legislative battles going on even as we now speak, to get more legal riding opportunities in CT.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote