User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
genka OP
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,558
Thumb Motorcycle TPMS from Orange Electronic

Tire Pressure Monitoring System offers a convenience of always knowing your tire pressure without the need to bend down and get you hands dirty, losing some air in the process. It also helps with safety- I actually went down once because I didn't detect that my tire leaked most of its air. Until now all aftermarket systems came with screw-on sensors. I didn't like this solution for several reasons. First, it can't accurately measure temperature of the air inside the tire. It is very important because pressure varies a lot with the temperature. Second, screw on sensors introduce another area for potential leaks. And third, these sensors have to be small, so their internal batteries don't last that long. One advantage of screw-on sensor is easy installation.
Orange Electronic announced a M202 motorcycle TPMS with rim mounted sensors a while ago, however it became available only recently. Orange sells it direct for $180, but I found the system on Amazon for $146 with free shipping- a very reasonable price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004WMB830
This is how the system looks like:

The display module and sensors are well built. Their undersides are sealed with a resin, they are completely waterproof, but not repairable. Batteries in the sensors are not replaceable, according to the manufacturer they should last 7 years.

Front and rear sensors are marked F-1 and R-2

Installation of the display unit is simple. It has to be attached to a flat surface with provided Velcro fasteners. I had an extra RAM mount laying around, it worked very well. Electrical connection has 2 wires- ground and power, which should go to an ignition switched source. I ran the wire to a fuse panel, located close to a battery on a BMW R1200GS. The wire turned out just a bit too short, so I had to extend it. My install probably represents a worst case scenario, I think that the wire length will be sufficient for most installations.
Sensors were installed by a shop during a tire replacement. They told me that the installation was easy and unremarkable. Tomorrow I will have a chance to see if the sensors make tire removal more difficult- the shop managed to install one of the tires backwards.

Sensors are little shorter than BMW factory valve stems

Once installed, the system just works. It will show tire pressures within 30 seconds after the ignition is turned on, even if the bike doesn't move. With a push of a button the display can be changed to show temperature or to alternate between pressure and temperature. Setup menu allows changing units of measure and to setup hi/low pressure and temperature alerts. When alert is activated, the screen background changes from white to red.

I don't own a calibrated pressure gauge I can fully trust, but readings from TPMS more or less agreed with the average of several cheap pencil gauges I tried. Manual says that the measurement error is within +- 1psi.

So far I'm very happy with Orange TPMS. I will update this review when I learn something new about the system in day to day operation.

Orange product page: http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/...ofit_m202.html

Update, almost 2 years and 25000 miles later
I had couple of punctures and slow leaks and was always warned on time.
In the winter time the system often failed to display the pressure. Orange support was good, meaning that they promptly sent me replacement parts. They couldn't assist me further and I didn't really expect any miracles in remote troubleshooting. In the end, I improved the performance by connecting the ground power lead directly to the battery. Still from time to time one of the wheels didn't register, but only when it was well below freezing. Recently the rear sensor died for good. Considerably earlier than I expected, but I can live with it, given convenience and safety advantages.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31

genka screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:24 PM Reason: update
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Do you know if the manufacturer makes right angle valves? I currently have metal right angle valves and while I do want and will get a TPMS this fall I'm not willing to go back to having to fight to add air to my tires when needed. Thanks for the info.

Oscar Wilde
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
genka OP
SUV hater

I don't think they do. You will need to use an adapter.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Still liking it? How many miles have you put on it? I need a TPMS for the FJR and this looks like the one. It has a maximum of 49 psi, if your tire went over this number what would happen? Just not register it or would it damage the sensor?

Would like to use my 90 degree valve stems but this would eliminate manual checks in the first place.

Thanks

Barry

Tesla screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 05:37 PM
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Amazon price now $128.95

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Still liking it? How many miles have you put on it? I need a TPMS for the FJR and this looks like the one. It has a maximum of 49 psi, if your tire went over this number what would happen? Just not register it or would it damage the sensor?

Would like to use my 90 degree valve stems but this would eliminate manual checks in the first place.

Thanks

Barry
Another option is the Doran TPMS, it doesn't have the temperature feature but I have had it on my GSA for about 6 months now, dead on accurate, 10-87 PSI range, very complete kit (includes 90 deg stems), simple to install, but at $200 it's more expensive. I recommend highly.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Upon further research,even at $130,this may not be a good deal.
The website indicates in several places 3 years average battery life,not 7 years.Each replacement sensor is about $55.
You could easily surpass the cost of Doran or others.Doran does state 7 year life with their sensors and replacements are $10 less.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 05:12 PM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
genka OP
SUV hater

I've ridden about 3000 miles with TPMS so far and it works fine. Many times when I had a suspision that my bike handles weird, I could verify that my tires are OK with a quick glance. There are couple of details that could be better. First, the system always displays true pressure, not adjusted for the tire temperature. It turned out not such a big deal because with the temperature data available, it is easy to notice if the pressure goes down significantly. Once when I had an extended high speed slab run, the pressure went up so much that it triggered the high pressure alarm. i saw that the pressure was consistent with the temperature. The other little problem is that if the display is set to cycle between pressure and temperature, this mode is not retained after ignition off. I'm nitpicking on these things, really. They are minor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Amazon price now $128.95JR356
My luck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
Another option is the Doran TPMS, it doesn't have the temperature feature but I have had it on my GSA for about 6 months now, dead on accurate, 10-87 PSI range, very complete kit (includes 90 deg stems), simple to install, but at $200 it's more expensive. I recommend highly.
I was looking into Doran, also looks like a good system. If Orange delayed their even longer, I'd go for Doran, they would be the only game in town for a serious TPMS. As someone who is trained in electronics measurement technology, i would refrain from "dead on accurate" comment unless tested with a calibrated lab grade device. Even Snap-On gauges owned by my mechanic friends don't agree with each other- probably because they are several years old and have never been calibrated.

Interesting comment about 3 years sensor lifespan. I wrote 7 in my review, and I'm sure I got this number from Orange, but can't remember where exactly I saw it. Anyway, the system is new, so the number must be an estimate. And once the warranty is over, the manufacturer will not be responsible for the premature failure.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Tesla
Adventurer

Orange to Release 74 PSI TPMS

Got the following response today from Connor at Orange Electronics:

> Barry -
Thanks for your interest in our motorcycle TPMS. When exceeding 49psi on the 50psi units, the monitor will show lines " - - " where the pressure should read out and change from a blue display to a red display (indicating a breech of a warning level).
Though, what you may be more interested in is our updated motorcycle unit with monitoring capabilities up to 74psi and the capability to adjust individual warning levels for the front and rear tires. After learning about issues like yours when releasing the product in June, we developed the higher pressure unit that will be ready to ship later next week (you have good timing). I will add you to the '70psi list' and shoot you an e-mail when the units are indeed ready to ship.

Thanks,
Connor
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
"As someone who is trained in electronics measurement technology, i would refrain from "dead on accurate" comment unless tested with a calibrated lab grade device. Even Snap-On gauges owned by my mechanic friends don't agree with each other- probably because they are several years old and have never been calibrated."

I have a calibrated 10" dial reflected guages with a span of 0-50 PSIA +/- .1%, it is 4 sigma (compared to the stated inaccuracy of the Doran TPMS) when you multiply the error factor of both guages. It is "dead on accurate", thank you very much!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Upon further research,even at $130,this may not be a good deal.
The website indicates in several places 3 years average battery life,not 7 years.Each replacement sensor is about $55.
You could easily surpass the cost of Doran or others.Doran does state 7 year life with their sensors and replacements are $10 less.

JR356
I just signed up with them and was told that price on replacement units getting changed to somewhere around 24 bucks. That should give more piece of mind.

PLus, they have an updated version coming up where you can set each unit threshold individually. And they are raising the pressure limits as well.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
genka OP
SUV hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
I have a calibrated 10" dial reflected guages with a span of 0-50 PSIA +/- .1%, it is 4 sigma (compared to the stated inaccuracy of the Doran TPMS) when you multiply the error factor of both guages. It is "dead on accurate", thank you very much!
I'd love to have such instrument to test Orange TPMS. But I'd say "accurate to 0.1%" instead of "dead on"

Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
genka OP
SUV hater

Last week the rear wheel reading didn't show up. After about 20 minutes of riding the display went into an error mode showing E2. I cycled the ignition without even stopping the bike, and both wheels came back up. The system as been working fine since, so I'm writing it off as a one time glitch.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
Tesla
Adventurer

I just ordered one of the new 74 psi versions of this. I asked Connor at Orange about the error message that you got and he said it may be because your tire pressure went over 50.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
But they're only for tubless tires, right??