User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Aeriam OP
nv7

Oddometer: 4
last trip gone bad

Saturday night I packed my bike and made a mad dash to California from Vancouver WA. For a last run on my bike before i go to iraq. Unfortunately I only made it to Eugene. About 1/4th the way.

First, my mistake. I used bungie cords. I will NEVER use bungies again. Rok straps, rope and sinch straps only.

Anyways. I ride a R1100RT and I had a army issue sleep system in its stuff sack bungied to one side of the bike. And a small gas can on the other side with a pack in the middle.

About 25 miles north of Eugene in the middle of no where at 2am I suddenly lost all movement in my rear tire.
It was totally locked. I was doing 83mph give or take a few at the time. I entered a uncontrollable skid with my tail kicking from side to side. Sideways oneway. Sideways the other. The whole time I was waiting to be jot by the tailgating cars behind me. The other thought oddly was "I just spent 900$ on this BMW rally 2 pro jacket and summer 2 pants and now I'm going to test them!" Selfish thought. So in my mind, I was going to get ran over and loose money..... strange things. Anyway. The cars behind me slam on their breaks and steer off the road to avoid me. I'm still riding this skid. 2 guys, a marine just about to go back to Afghanistan and another Guy jump out and grab my bike as I slow to a stop. They manage to push it off the road just enough to get me off it and it parked. I'm still thankful for them. Best people ever.

What happened was my army sleep systems bungie came loose and the cord hit the wheel and sucked the whole highly compressed sleep system into the wheel well. It took us half an hour of cutting it to bits and pulling to get it out. I now have a zipper as a good luck charm and a reminder though!

Lessen of this? F%#* BUNGIES! there is to many things that can fail with them.

Now I'm stuck in Eugene till tomorrow when the only shoo opens. Thankfully I had my BMW MOA owners anonymous book and some very nice guys called around and found that shop for me. Never leave without that book!

Also. ATGATT. Freak accidents happen. Somehow by the grace of whatever I didn't drop my bike or crash, buim still happy I was wearing full armor boots and a helmet. All the gear, no matter what.

Also, if you see a shredded sleeping back on I-5 south ne'er Eugene.... that was me....
Aeriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 798
Littering is a crime in Oregon!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,579
First and foremost..Glad you are OK.

Second, sorry your trip is screwed up.

Third, bungies suck! I don't use/own them.

BTW, my son is on my RT right now heading north on I5, in the Portland area. First thing I showed him in the tail box was the BMW anonymous book. Has helped many folks.

Best of luck to you on what you may salvage on your travels!!

Thank you sir for serving!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Aeriam OP
nv7

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER View Post
Littering is a crime in Oregon!
I know! As a avid environmentalists I felt bad, but I had no other options T.T
it was shredded and I had no way to hold it.
Aeriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
wtf there is a post just like this about another guy a few down

here it is

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711975
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote