Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #676
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
So you're calling Roy a RACEist?

Hmmm I guess you could put it that way..

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #677
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,610

I hope this valve check works out like I want it to.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #678
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
What kind of top case is that? I've been thinking about getting one but hear the Jesse's are overpriced junk.

Damn, you were a busy fella today.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #679
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Just remember where you put all the parts.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #680
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
What kind of top case is that? I've been thinking about getting one but hear the Jesse's are overpriced junk.

Damn, you were a busy fella today.
That top case is an overpriced KTM piece of junk. I read or heard that a side case manufacturer private labels that box for KTM, but I can't remember which one.

Yes, I even cleaned up a bit before I got started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
Just remember where you put all the parts.
Coffee cans are your friends!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #681
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,287
It looks a lot like the Trax boxes that twisted sells.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #682
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:

Looks like fun but I would have done it while it rained for 9 straight days
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #683
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Oh no! Now I got my feelings hurt.

I better just put my Tiger up for sale & get me a couple of rice rockets. Maybe one day I'll be cool enough to own a Jap bike. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the attitude though. Seems like you never got beat-up as a child. Maybe you got ass raped instead. I can imagine that would make you quite bitter. I'm sorry about your butthole Roy.
You have a strange way of expressing yourself. There is help for people with that condition.
WERA Expert #826
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #684
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Roy,
If you have any pull with HT, I would love to have their racks for my NC700X. So far only 2 people have requested them - they need 20.
Tom
No pull Tom but all my communication with them has been positive. All they need is a bike so maybe someone near them could provide a donor to get the ball bouncing.
WERA Expert #826
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #685
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
No pull Tom but all my communication with them has been positive. All they need is a bike so maybe someone near them could provide a donor to get the ball bouncing.
All my dealings with them have been positive - good company. I've only bought a few things from them several years ago for my DRZ, but they respond to my emails within a day and treat me like a valued customer. Even told me to start a letter writing campaign to request products for my bike.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856248
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #686
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
All my dealings with them have been positive - good company. I've only bought a few things from them several years ago for my DRZ, but they respond to my emails within a day and treat me like a valued customer. Even told me to start a letter writing campaign to request products for my bike.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856248
I have had the same experience with them. I put a lot in service after the sale. Those companies that excell in that always get my money over and over. They worked with me on the DR racks that I drove them crazy about a 1/4" out on one side. We finally met in the middle on it. My weird ways didn't get to them and I am still a loyal customer. No style points with their stuff but it's damn near indestructible when used the way ADV stuff ends up being used at times.
WERA Expert #826
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #687
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770

A little history on Jesse and HT. Jesse was a pioneer of sorts in the luggage market. He catered to the world traveler wanna be's that BMW helped create with the GS market back in the 70-80s. He sold(sells) thousands of sets to the GS folks. The choices of luggage were slim back then(BMW or Jesse and maybe a couple others). Then the adventure segment of motorcycling expanded to the KLR and others. Those riders had fewer choices (GIVI,ammo cans,etc) for a budget bike. Jesse didn't seem to want to expand his market to other bikes(he was selling all he could build to the GS guys!). HT and some others saw the potential market for the budget buyers. They could build and sell to the guys that Jesse either wouldn't or couldn't cater to. Now, there are several choices of manufactures that sell to all budgets. BMW factory bags are probably the most expensive with Jesse following with all the others in the market. The durability of the products(and customer service) doesn't necessarily follow their price tag.

It boils down to fit, finish, durability, cost, aesthetics and customer support. GIVI hits several of those as does some others. Hitting all the marks is hard to accomplish in such a broad market. Aesthetics can be the hardest to accomplish with all the bikes out there(can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear!) One has to make the choice by weighing these things to suit their needs/wants. I've had several different brands of luggage(and bikes). HT has improved their operations while containing cost and expanding to many different bikes. It makes them a great choice for those wanting the durability of a metal case that looks like a tool box. If bang for the buck outweighs everything else, the HT bags(boxes) are a great value.

It's been almost ten years since my last purchase of Jesse Luggage. Back then, he seemed a bit strung out. Fit to some of the Jap bikes was not very good. His customer support was poor. Getting in touch with them was not easy. Although, they would eventually respond helpfully. At some point since then, they have shifted sales and support to somebody else. I don't know if they have improved their operations or not.

Some(Honduh, Suzuki, KTM, Moto Guzzi) of the OEM bags are designed around second party products and sold as OEM. Most are not so durable but, look the "business" to some extent. The mounts can be(are, in some instances) the sad part for what might otherwise be great luggage.

Lots to consider

R1200RT

vfrgreg screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 10:54 AM
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #688
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Looks like fun but I would have done it while it rained for 9 straight days
Doing that would had to have been coupled with not working for nine days, a luxury I don't have, right now.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #689
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post
It's been almost ten years since my last purchase of Jesse Luggage. Back then, he seemed a bit strung out. Fit to some of the Jap bikes was not very good. His customer support was poor. Getting in touch with them was not easy. Although, they would eventually respond helpfully. At some point since then, they have shifted sales and support to somebody else. I don't know if they have improved their operations or not.

Lots to consider
Excellent post Greg. Funny how a post can be informative without being condescending.

I'll address this one part. I have heard that Jesse is hard to get in touch with. There were horror stories from 10 years ago about months long delays and broken promises. When I bought my Strom bags they were using an outside vendor (Xplormoto IIRC). Those guys seemed to be on the up and up, but at some point (after I bought mine) they dropped the ball.

Jesse sales are once again handled in house. I called and talked to them when I bought the bags for the Tenere. All calls were either answered or a message was left and returned in a reasonable length of time. They explained that there would be a delay as they had underestimated the demand for the Tenere and they were in the process of building more racks. They gave me a timeline and everything arrived as we had discussed.

My customer service needs were met.

Also, the racks for the Tenere are much better than the 'Strom racks. No trips to Lowes required.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #690
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg View Post

A little history on Jesse and HT. Jesse was a pioneer of sorts in the luggage market. He catered to the world traveler wanna be's that BMW helped create with the GS market back in the 70-80s. He sold(sells) thousands of sets to the GS folks. The choices of luggage were slim back then(BMW or Jesse and maybe a couple others). Then the adventure segment of motorcycling expanded to the KLR and others. Those riders had fewer choices (GIVI,ammo cans,etc) for a budget bike. Jesse didn't seem to want to expand his market to other bikes(he was selling all he could build to the GS guys!). HT and some others saw the potential market for the budget buyers. They could build and sell to the guys that Jesse either wouldn't or couldn't cater to. Now, there are several choices of manufactures that sell to all budgets. BMW factory bags are probably the most expensive with Jesse following with all the others in the market. The durability of the products(and customer service) doesn't necessarily follow their price tag.

It boils down to fit, finish, durability, cost, aesthetics and customer support. GIVI hits several of those as does some others. Hitting all the marks is hard to accomplish in such a broad market. Aesthetics can be the hardest to accomplish with all the bikes out there(can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear!) One has to make the choice by weighing these things to suit their needs/wants. I've had several different brands of luggage(and bikes). HT has improved their operations while containing cost and expanding to many different bikes. It makes them a great choice for those wanting the durability of a metal case that looks like a tool box. If bang for the buck outweighs everything else, the HT bags(boxes) are a great value.

Some(Honduh, Suzuki, KTM, Moto Guzzi) of the OEM bags are designed around second party products and sold as OEM. Most are not so durable but, look the "business" to some extent. The mounts can be(are, in some instances) the sad part for what might otherwise be great luggage.

Lots to consider
Bored a bit are we

I wouldn't have wasted my time on all that
WERA Expert #826