ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #781
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,951
gald you're ok Roy, I've seen guys like that, rideing over their head, but some how staying up just to crash someone else before it's all over. Did he crash to or ride off to cause more havoc.

And where is the before pics?
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #782
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
After getting ran into at Talladega by some ass hat that thought he was the next AMA star I have the beast back together and repaired. It only took many man hours, a lot of trips to the upstore and $2300 bucks but she is back.

This thing flipped no less that 4 times into the talladega grass but you wouldn't know by looking at it now. 13 years on the track and this was the 'big one' and it wasn't even an error on my part just an over zealous idiot trying to be something he is not. A bowling ball is a more accurate discription.

I sustained a fractured scaphoid bone in my left wrist which didn't require much except a brace for a couple of weeks. Riding gear works. Helmet was scratched but has to be replaced since scratches won't pass tech, leathers had a repair on my right arm and right glove lost a plastic knuckle but that was it. 3rd gear flat out on a 1000 is no laughing matter I tumbled and flipped for what seemed like miles.

Anywho she is back and ready for Barber June 8th but this time with a different trackday organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
gald you're ok Roy, I've seen guys like that, rideing over their head, but some how staying up just to crash someone else before it's all over. Did he crash to or ride off to cause more havoc.

And where is the before pics?

He clipped my right clipon as he tried to pass between me and 2' of pavement to the grass. I never knew what hit me. I was on the ground in a split second. Luckily the bike only was on pavement a few feet then the right footpeg hooked into the grass and sent it air borne a few times. It was pretty messed up completely broke the cheese soft rear suspension links from the swingarm, clipon broke and rear shock busted. Everything else was just stuff designed to break off.

The pic on crash trailer right after the incident and ass hat never came to my pit to ask if I was ok, apologize or anything. I loaded up with the help of KLRcaptain and John and drove the 5 hours home with a ice pak on my wrist.

I hate this pic but you asked for it.


In the toy hauler headed home


We were rolling hard the day before the incident and the bike felt great with a few minor tweaks needed along the way.

__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #783
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,745
Glad you and the bike are healed back up with no worse damage, Roy!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #784
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsklr View Post
glad you and the bike are healed back up with no worse damage, roy!
+1.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #785
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 2,076
Ouch! Glad everything is healed and fixed up, Roy. Is the June track day open to spectators? I'd like to come over and watch a little track time and go to the museum.
__________________
2001 1150GS / Ural Hack
2011 990 Adv R
Colorado / Utah 2010
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #786
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,951
ouch.. glad you came out with as little a injury as you did, but I have to say i like this color combo on your bike better. just a bad way to go about getting it.
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #787
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Ouch! Glad everything is healed and fixed up, Roy. Is the June track day open to spectators? I'd like to come over and watch a little track time and go to the museum.
Yes David it's open to spectators. Not sure but this organization may charge $5 at the gate but I'm not 100% sure on that I know they charge us that. In June watching from the ac in museum is not a bad idea. We will be parked on the 2nd level of the paddock so swing by and enjoy some heat and humidity on asphalt
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #788
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
ouch.. glad you came out with as little a injury as you did, but I have to say i like this color combo on your bike better. just a bad way to go about getting it.
This color combination came already painted. I bought this bodywork off San Francisco Craigslist from a AMA SBK rider. This was his spare set and he switched to BMW this year so no need for Suzuki parts. He cut me a hella deal on it including windscreen. I bought most all the oem stuff that was busted off eBay. I even had to buy a gas tank which was blue but John took care of that real quick by spraying it black.

These bikes are built tough and a GSXR is the easiest Sportbike to source used parts for. It runs and rides fine which is unreal considering what it went through. I got out of this fairly lucky as this thing could have very easily have landed on me during one of those flips. It came mighty close once according to my wife who witnessed the entire crash.
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #789
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Ouch! Glad everything is healed and fixed up, Roy. Is the June track day open to spectators? I'd like to come over and watch a little track time and go to the museum.
Mouthy Knightwork and I had talked about riding over there to do just that... Watch Roy and go to Museum... and that Messican place we went to last time..
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #790
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Yes David it's open to spectators. Not sure but this organization may charge $5 at the gate but I'm not 100% sure on that I know they charge us that. In June watching from the ac in museum is not a bad idea. We will be parked on the 2nd level of the paddock so swing by and enjoy some heat and humidity on asphalt

Great - Thanks Roy


Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Mouthy Knightwork and I had talked about riding over there to do just that... Watch Roy and go to Museum... and that Messican place we went to last time..

Sounds like a good idea to me. I may be riding by then.
__________________
2001 1150GS / Ural Hack
2011 990 Adv R
Colorado / Utah 2010
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #791
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me. I may be riding by then.
Now that is some good news!!!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #792
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer
 
Switchblade315's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: personal hell
Oddometer: 5,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
This color combination came already painted. I bought this bodywork off San Francisco Craigslist from a AMA SBK rider. This was his spare set and he switched to BMW this year so no need for Suzuki parts. He cut me a hella deal on it including windscreen. I bought most all the oem stuff that was busted off eBay. I even had to buy a gas tank which was blue but John took care of that real quick by spraying it black.

These bikes are built tough and a GSXR is the easiest Sportbike to source used parts for. It runs and rides fine which is unreal considering what it went through. I got out of this fairly lucky as this thing could have very easily have landed on me during one of those flips. It came mighty close once according to my wife who witnessed the entire crash.
i've never had my share of crashes on dirt and pavement, a few in races where close calls. had the tether switch save me for a quad once. when i hit the ground facing backwards I was looking at it coming for me in 3ed gear. also fliped that same quad off a 15 foot hill and just did get out of the way of it before it landed behind me upside down, there's a great deal of luck along with good gear that saves racers, I've next day aired parts to rebuild my XR400R from one weekend to the next, flipped it at 60 at Rattle Snake Bay, it fliped a few times and i know how it is to bring a bike home busted to hell and have to rebuild it. as i have said races look at bikes, gear, and life different then others do. I hope I'm free to come over to Barbers to see you run there.
__________________
When I die bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #793
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy
 
MSrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Florence, Mizzippi
Oddometer: 4,275
Those bikes are tough as nails

Damn Roy, hate to see that happen. Glad you got it all back together with no frame damage or anything major for that matter.
__________________
KOKA
MSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #794
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Damn Roy, hate to see that happen. Glad you got it all back together with no frame damage or anything major for that matter.
Luckily when it did all the flipping it was in a soft ditch and with recent rains all the ground was soft. Frame, forks and swingarm all checked out ok. Rear wheel had a 1mm bend in the radial direction but according to the Suzuki service manual up to 2mm is tolerance. Most racebikes have a bent wheel or two if you look close enough since they've all been down many times. I'm not worried about it since its causing no issue. Wills rim repair can fix it for $65 if I ever decide its needed.

If this thing had been flipping on pavement we'd be looking at scrap metal for sure.
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #795
racinchase
Adventurer
 
racinchase's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Brandon, MS
Oddometer: 38
Well with the craptastic weather we are having here I figured Id detal one of the bikes... Cleaned the house too!

__________________
“The right bike, the right day, the right road, I just pretty much feel at one with the universe. When I feel like I don’t fit anywhere or I’m lonely or I’m all screwed up in the head, I get on my bike and go for a ride and it’s like all of the sudden, I’m fixed.” – Indian Larry
racinchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015