Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #616
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Its good to be pissed. Just channel it and use it to your advantage. Fantastic job man. Its already been said 30 times before, but Ill say it again, no one here sees it as a failure. And if they do then F 'EM. Let them hang it all out there and give it a shot. Great job man. Thanks for sharing, and I mean it. We really appreciate it.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #617
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Do not fear failure

Don't fear failure. It's how we learn and evolve. If every endeavor was ensured success there wouldn't be any reason to challenge yourself. Learn from it and move on. There is no right or wrong, just left or right. You took the challenge, most here wouldn't or couldn't. Good on ya, you're an inspiration.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #618
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I just want to say to you BC61
What you have accomplished in the 2012 Dakar is pure awesome, no doubt about it.
Even though you did complete your goal of finishing, I truly appreciate your efforts and you have my most sincere respect.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #619
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,939
Hey Bill, glad to hear you're ok. I can only imagine how tired you were by the time you kipped out in the dirt. Good frickin' effort getting your ass to the starting line, shit luck it had to end that way. I still remember walking up to you in the airport last year, glad to know you and glad I threw a few $$ your way, you made it happen! Good luck at Sandblast I'd share a pint with you if I were there. Respect

mike
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #620
RussianBear

Oddometer: n/a
Bill, i am one of your students!
but i have to be honest - DNF on the first 'real' rally Dakar day is embarrassing!

i am Russian and i say things as they are... no american pepermint,,,,

bottom line, ,,, gotta test your machine before u go!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #621
biker2hiker
4dirt

Oddometer: 100
Russian Bear should first get off his sorry a$$ , hit the start line, and see how far YOU get. I think you're the one that should be embarrassed, seeing that you're sitting at your keyboard and not riding where Bill has been. It's a shame that you were one of Bill's students since it appears you didn't learn much. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, but class comes from within. What's your claim to fame Russian Bear?

Ride On !!!!!
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #622
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear View Post
but i have to be honest - DNF on the first 'real' rally Dakar day is embarrassing!

I've tried to keep my Dakar reading to a low obsession, but for crying out loud.

Student huh?

Bottom line...... best you go back and read before you post, it wasn't a mechanical DNF, kicking someone while they're down is pathetic, embarrassing and poor style.

BC, there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said, but let me know if I can ever get you anything.

Paul

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #623
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Oddometer: 52
Quote:

It is unfortunate that Bill's time was wasted instructing you...at least he got paid. If you were truly a student, you would have learned the humility that is part of "the man in the arena". I too was a student...I left bruised and exhausted but exhilarated. I go on roads I never would have attempted before...I get to the starting line always! I finish rarely...but I am there...usually one of the few women and few short people. I show up...do you? I encourage others...do you? We admire Bill, not for what he might do but for what he did do...he entered a mind blowing race with privately earned funds...no large corporate sponsor. He and Julie were fund raisers, mechanics, fabricators, travel agents, shipping foremen, trainer, athlete, racer...do I really need to go on? As a Russian would you ever be able to grasp capitalism; the dream you build yourself?. Sound like you have been in America awhile ..time to take a mint because what you radiate is foul smelling
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #624
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:

How do you test getting a hole punched in your engine case? Perhaps Russian Bear you can educate us all eh?.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #625
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,175
That's a great proverb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Spanish Proverb -

It is not the same to talk of bulls as to be in the bullring.

Russian Bear is wrong, but maybe in his mind it's more respectful toward Bill to "be honest" than to be reassuring.

Even though I'm largely in agreement with T.S.C. about luck favoring the prepared, you just can't take the "sh!t happens" out of the Dakar. Jonah went out the same day, no failure and no shame there, and Jonah is elite.

As is Quinn, who earned his "sh!t happens" bumper sticker on only the second day of "real" racing. Even though everyone is trying to figure out how it could have been avoided (because that's what people do) it just happened. You can't race the equivalent of Los Angeles to New York and back and not have a handful of those moments. No failure or shame in what happened to Quinn, just frustration and disappointment.

That Bill tried to forge on despite a cracked engine case (if I'm remembering right, it feels like it happened a week ago) and went through hell getting into the bivouac is classic Dakar awesomeness.

When really bad things happen people tend to Monday morning quarterback themselves. Sometimes that's useful because we can learn from our mistakes, but just as often it leads to us imagining that we could control things we couldn't have, or thinking we should have known things we could only really know in hindsight.

Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #626
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,012
Hat's off to you Bill, for striving to make a dream of yours come true. Damn few have made it as far as you. And even fewer have had the character to attempt it.

The fact that you are looking back from a chance taken, is something that I admire and certainly look up to.

jp
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #627
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,027
Quote:

Talk is cheap quarterbacking while sitting on your ass & playing keyboard superman. I didn't see your name on the Dakar competitors list.

Put up or shutup

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #628
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post

That Bill tried to forge on despite a cracked engine case (if I'm remembering right, it feels like it happened a week ago) and went through hell getting into the bivouac is classic Dakar awesomeness.

When really bad things happen people tend to Monday morning quarterback themselves. Sometimes that's useful because we can learn from our mistakes, but just as often it leads to us imagining that we could control things we couldn't have, or thinking we should have known things we could only really know in hindsight.
A-freakin'-men to that, Dread.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #629
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Respect! :)
X1000! Don't consider it a failure...just consider it practice for 2013! As many have said, Bill, you have achieved elite status as a Dakar Racer, ...just look at the names that the race had collected already by stage 3! Kudos to you and your efforts! I wish I had the cojones to get onto that starting line! All the best to you!

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #630
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,575
repeat after me......I will no longer drink Vodka while posting....it turns me into a stupid ass.....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote