Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #631
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,372
Going through hell to get to the bivy= Classic DAkar Awesomeness!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #632
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Russian Bear, any time .............. ( have a 2000 word essay in my head but won't get started ).
To the short of it , I am from South Carolina and we can be blunt : Your fingers are typing way above your skill level. The riders on this thread are some of the most skilled riders in the world. I looked at the video from your NH dual sport ride and wasn't impressed, not a bit.
This guy (BILL) rides better and faster on sand than you can on pavement.

JALnSC screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 08:58 PM
JALnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #633
ibelyna
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 75
Stand Tall BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Not sure where to begin...but first, thank you to everyone for all the support, well wishes, concern and the TDR quote. I have been brought to tears several times over the past 24 hours with the reality of failure. I have strived many times to chase different dreams only to always fall short of the goal. I don't regret the chase as it has brought some wonderful life experiences. But failure has a way of beating you down and brings question to why we do the thing we do. During one of my down times on stage I was thinking how foolish this was to think I could pull this off with so little time and money. Then the thought of how much time and money has been spent, I was going to do whatever I could to make in. Once again I came up short. I'm still trying to deal with it. I like to think I have delt with failure well in the past, a little disappointment at first then an even stronger resolve to push on. Currently I feel the failure heavily. I'm sure this will pass. Reading the quote makes feel a little better.
Fuck that noise Bill, you can shut those little voices down right now. Your only failure would be to quit or not try in the first place, and by all reports there was none of that!
We were excited to see you set off at the start. We were hopeful and worried as hell while you were pushing your ride through the dunes. THANK YOU for taking us along on your ride. Head high man. Be as proud of yourself as we are of you.
ibelyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #634
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear
Bill, i am one of your students!
but i have to be honest - DNF on the first 'real' rally Dakar day is embarrassing!

i am Russian and i say things as they are... no american pepermint,,,,

bottom line, ,,, gotta test your machine before u go!
Spoken like a real tosser, you have no idea what it's like to be a privateer. So kindly STFU and when you gain some privateer racing experience PM me and I'll let you know when you can post again, boy.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #635
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Not sure where to begin...but first, thank you to everyone for all the support, well wishes, concern and the TDR quote. I have been brought to tears several times over the past 24 hours with the reality of failure. I have strived many times to chase different dreams only to always fall short of the goal. I don't regret the chase as it has brought some wonderful life experiences. But failure has a way of beating you down and brings question to why we do the thing we do. During one of my down times on stage I was thinking how foolish this was to think I could pull this off with so little time and money. Then the thought of how much time and money has been spent, I was going to do whatever I could to make in. Once again I came up short. I'm still trying to deal with it. I like to think I have delt with failure well in the past, a little disappointment at first then an even stronger resolve to push on. Currently I feel the failure heavily. I'm sure this will pass. Reading the quote makes feel a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Edison
Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward....
Head up Bill, you did America and yourself proud. I can empathize with what you are feeling, I get the same way myself often. You'll feel better once you can get back on a bike, shit I've teared up reading Yours and Ned's thread and you have lived more in the few stages you completed than most do in a lifetime.

TOP FUCKING NOTCH SIR!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #636
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
"A challenge for those that go, a dream for those that stay behind".

Well done Bill
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #637
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardood View Post
"A challenge for those that go, a dream for those that stay behind".
Well done Bill
Congratulations on your attempt. Failing is not trying. Most of us dream of attempting it and fail every year. You tried, and tried hard. You're not hurt, that's the most important.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #638
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,132
Lots of good stuff here, I'm reminded of this: "You live more in 5 minutes flat-out on a bike like this than most people do in a lifetime"

Much respect an admiration for you Bill. I will continue to wear this shirt with pride.

No, it didn't help my riding a bit but your class sure did. In for the 2013 version.

Head up!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #639
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Pre-race testing and trials are good ...more testing and trials even better. Crash testing? Not so easy.

Upward and Onward BC61!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #640
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,202
Wow russianbonehead you really know how to turn a whole lot of people against you really quickly! From experience I can tell you that just getting to the starting line is a whole lot more success than you can possibly conceive. Like a previous poster said: until you post your own sorry ass at a real rally keep your mouth shut when it comes to dissing someone else's achievements.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #641
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansSand View Post
It is unfortunate that Bill's time was wasted instructing you...at least he got paid. If you were truly a student, you would have learned the humility that is part of "the man in the arena". I too was a student...I left bruised and exhausted but exhilarated. I go on roads I never would have attempted before...I get to the starting line always! I finish rarely...but I am there...usually one of the few women and few short people. I show up...do you? I encourage others...do you? We admire Bill, not for what he might do but for what he did do...he entered a mind blowing race with privately earned funds...no large corporate sponsor. He and Julie were fund raisers, mechanics, fabricators, travel agents, shipping foremen, trainer, athlete, racer...do I really need to go on? As a Russian would you ever be able to grasp capitalism; the dream you build yourself?. Sound like you have been in America awhile ..time to take a mint because what you radiate is foul smelling
Post of the Day. +1
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #642
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Wow russianbonehead you really know how to turn a whole lot of people against you really quickly! From experience I can tell you that just getting to the starting line is a whole lot more success than you can possibly conceive. Like a previous poster said: until you post your own sorry ass at a real rally keep your mouth shut when it comes to dissing someone else's achievements.

While Russianbear didn't state his opinion very eloquently he has valid points. Whether or not he really has ground to be passing judgement has yet to be determined.

That said it IS impressive that Bill managed to get accepted to compete in the event. He successfuly arranged and built a bike, covered his expenses, and made it to the starting line. He completed the first day and unfortunately had to pull out due to mechanical damage if I read correctly.

My point being that the Dakar is a challenge for rally veterans with significant backing. Unfortunately for us mere mortal riders who are primarily self funded who work other jobs the odds are just heavily stacked against us. To compete in the Dakar for your first event is incredibly ambitious and you have to go in with the full understanding that success is slim. Unfortunately the Dakar is structured to eliminate competitors and there is zero cushion for problems. Many other events give you the option to restart the next day if you have to pull out the day before for a mechanical issue...giving you more experince and seat time at the consequence of an excessive penalty. Further compound things with this 450 rule for motorcycles...gone are the days of running a robust 600 sized bike...now figure out how to make a 450 run hard for 15 days and not fall apart.

I will further say that it would be great to have a whole year to test machinery and rider and gear. As it usually happens it is an all out scramble to get everything done all the way down to 3 seconds before scrutineering. We rallyists dream of the event where we put the car/bike on the trailer and enjoy a leisurely drive to the start and a relaxing day before tech. IN 15 years of rallying I have yet to experience this. Prepping for the Safari was no different and the dakar is another whole realm.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #643
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
[QUOTE=JALnSC;17666876 .............. the riders on this thread are some of the most skilled riders in the world......[/QUOTE]

well speak for yourself...I suck off road and know it......
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #644
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
well speak for yourself...I suck off road and know it......
The riders on this thread are some of the most skilled in the world....and some of the least skilled are very honest about their abilities

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #645
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
... The riders on this thread are some of the most skilled riders in the world...
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
well speak for yourself...I suck off road and on and know it......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The riders on this thread are some of the most skilled in the world....and some of the least skilled are very honest about their abilities
fixed to reflect my abilities