My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post

Red is my favorite color! Oh, and because it looks great.
MrsDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

While we wait

for the first bike service Tobi let me download his pictures.

One of my favorites!

In Salem, MA.

The Mohawk Trail

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Day 3

This morning we left The Colonial Inn in Gardner, MA and drove through Harvard then on to Boxborough, MA. Boris had his first service at 532km. Thankfully the guys at Ural of New England were able to adjust the seat, clutch, and brake to make my ride more comfortable.

So far on this trip we have passed countless Dunkin Donuts. East coasters must love some Dunkin Donuts. It has become a game to see who can spot them first. Who ever does taps their helmet. Before we left Massachusetts we had to stop at one for some coffee and a donut. After the stop the GPS got confused and we drove around on “goat trails” until it decided to find a descent route.

We passed Berlin, so Tobi got a couple pictures of signs.

A memorial before getting on the interstate.

We spent most of the day on the interstate. This was alright when it was only two lanes. Boris could keep up with the speed limit for the most part, but that didn't matter. Most people were flying past like we were setting still. Worcester traffic was pretty hectic and I was wishing we had chosen a different route. Then we went through Hartford, CT. Ummmm, HOLY KIT KATS that was intense!!! The interstate went from two lanes to six and we found ourselves smack dab in the middle of all the crazy. The plan for the rest of the trip is to never get back on a blue shield highway again. One day of traffic and people cutting us off at 65mph was more than enough.

We finally decided to stop for the night in Danbury, CT. It looks like tomorrows route will be through New York state and into Pennsylvania.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #20
Amagalous
Tazers are sex toys

Oddometer: 60
Be very very careful with your GPS routing here. I went that same route last month, and mine sent me straight through downtown NYC. You thought Hartford was bad, try New York! Glad you are enjoying your first long distance ride! Sheryl and I are jealous!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amagalous View Post
Be very very careful with your GPS routing here. I went that same route last month, and mine sent me straight through downtown NYC. You thought Hartford was bad, try New York! Glad you are enjoying your first long distance ride! Sheryl and I are jealous!
+1, You don't want to get stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway (95S) working the clutch for 3-4 hrs of gridlock.
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Cromoth
I've been cloned

Oddometer: 489
congrats

Congrats on jumping in with both feet & keeping that sprit of adventure.
One idea: check your speed with the GPS reading vs your speedometer. People will still pass on the highway but if the GPS says you're going 60 instead of the 65 shown on the speedometer, it's more of a shock (60 vs 70+).
Hope you enjoy many miles, relax & build up sidecar muscles.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #23
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Day 4

Left Danbury, CT before 0900 and took highway 6 into New York. That was a nice ride. Made our way to a scenic lookout where Bald Eagle's nest in the winter. Just so happens there was a hot dog cart. So we had to do the tourist thing and have a New York style dog in New York. The dog vendor also sells fireworks and said he did Bon Jovi's wedding and the 200th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. After we rested up a bit we continued on and crossed the Hudson on a fun little bridge. The bridge was a toll bridge but only in one direction. That is crazy (still wondering why).

Ended up on 209 and had a nice drive. Went through Jim Thorpe, and tons of tiny little tons. We did have to get onto a few interstates to connect to the state highways but they weren't to busy.

We had to take a few rest breaks and what better of a place to stop than Dunkin Donuts.

We stopped for the night on route 25 outside of Millersburg, PA. The drive from Lyken to the hotel was perfect. It was all farm land and a heavily populated Amish area. We pasted a few little boys playing on their buggy with a small horse, an old covered bridge, and lots of corn. If I had it my way, these are the only roads I would choose to travel. The old barns are beautiful.

The hotel drive.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,354
I'm surprised we haven't gotten more barn pics.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #25
snay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
:lurk

Good pics.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #26
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm surprised we haven't gotten more barn pics.
I am not the photographer. Tobi and mom switch off in the sidecar taking pictures.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #27
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Day 5

Starting out day 5 of this trip we heard about a ferry and thought we would try it out. The ferry at Millersburg is an old wooden paddle ferry that has been in operation since 1807. There were a few Amish families also waiting for the ferry to go across the Susquehanna to visit family.

Sadly the boat captain decided after one run across that the weather wouldn't allow the boat to cross safely with the water levels down and wind. He was having a hard time keeping the boat in the channel.

We had to drive about 30 miles out of the way to get to the next bridge, but the drive was beautiful. The trees had grown up over the road to make a long archway.

We spent most of the day on small two lane country roads weaving our way through the Pennsylvania countryside. Which was gorgeous.

We had to stop at an old covered bridge in Pennsylvania just for a few pictures.

We did spend the entire day riding in the rain. That wasn't fun at all. The trailer the Harley was pulling made the rear end of the bike slide going around curves. Boris did slide a couple of times also. The roads were pretty slick.

Since we drove through tiny towns there were no places to stop for gas. We almost got to use the spare gas can on Boris. We had to stop to switch the bike over to reserve after crossing into Maryland. Thankfully there was a gas station in the next town.

We crossed over into West Virginia and then into Virginia. We stopped for the night at Winchester, Va.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 644
Careful with the gas can, mine colapsed a little as the change in temp with gas in it. Just loosen the cap each time you stop and reseal, should equalise any vacumm.

Good ride so far?
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #29
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
Careful with the gas can, mine colapsed a little as the change in temp with gas in it. Just loosen the cap each time you stop and reseal, should equalise any vacumm.

Good ride so far?
Thanks for the tip with the gas can. We have had a lot of altitude changes so far. Before we take off today I will check it. Thanks.

The ride has been great so far. I am a little sore from the difference in driving with the side car, but I figured that would happen.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #30
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Day 6

Today was a great day. We drove the 105 miles of the Virginia Skyline Dr. If you haven't done that trip, you should.

The views were wonderful. The Shenandoah National Park roads were perfect to drive on. No pot holes or grooves but the speed limit is really slow.

We were lucky enough to see a black bear while driving through the park. It ran out behind Boris (I saw it in the mirror) and right in from of mom and dad. It was running pretty fast. By the time Tobi turned around to see it it was gone. Now that we are on the Blue Ridge Parkway were are hoping that maybe we will see one today.

The animals along the Skyline and Blue Ridge aren't to shy. Tobi got some great pictures of a family of deer. The doe was waiting on the left side and her two babies were on the right side. They just stood there and watched for awhile before the babies ran into the trees.

Skyline Dr.

We did hit some rain. We would stop, put on our frog suits and then go again, but as soon the suits were on it would stop raining.

We stopped off the Blue Ridge in Lexington, VA.

The internet here is super slow. So, I wasn't able to get all the pictures uploaded to photobucket yet. Maybe the next place we stop the connection will be better so I can post some the better pictures.