Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #31
Amagalous
Tazers are sex toys

Oddometer: 61
We stopped at that exact same covered bridge last month! Loved the pics. The one of the side view of Boris and the Harley is a distinct reminder that while the Harley may be comfortable for a long ride, it does not have the cool factor that Boris does.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 337
Love the bike. I have a daughter in Danvers Mass. and we live in NC. Just made some of that trip. Enjoy N.C. If you go to Ocracoke ask for Gary Mitchell. Old friend who.has a bluegrass band and would love your bike.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #33
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Looks like you crossed the Bear Mtn bridge and headed up Perkins Drive to the look out? That's a sketchy road, friend of mine and I were ridiing up there 2 years ago and he dumped the bike and went over the cliff.

Where did you come through in Maryland? We PCS'd here back in April and I just picked up my Patrol on Saturday.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #34
Circle Blue
Here and There

Oddometer: 59
Curious

Are you starting to feel more comfortable with your rig? Getting used to the pull and tugs of the sidecar, that sort of thing? It seems you've jumped right in and had fun from the very beginning, even if you were sore in spots here and there; but, is it getting to be "more fun" piloting your Gear Up as the miles accumulate?
Circle Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,277
Great report, thanks for sharing your journey! It's great that your family are able to join you. Absolutely LOVE the red. Boris is a great name, too.

To answer two of your questions/wonderings:

1) There are a gazillion Dunkin' Donuts in New England because DD was founded in Quincy, MA (that's Quin-zee). In my state of Rhode Island, there is almost one DD for each resident of the state (or so it seems).

2) Collecting a toll in one direction eases congestion. Because most bridge travelers go over the bridge in both directions, there's not a big loss to the amount of money collected. For example, the Holland Tunnel only charges vehicles going from Jersey into New York. I can only imagine how much worse the gridlock would be if tolls were collected going from New York to Jersey.

Safe ride home.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #36
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen View Post
Looks like you crossed the Bear Mtn bridge and headed up Perkins Drive to the look out? That's a sketchy road, friend of mine and I were ridiing up there 2 years ago and he dumped the bike and went over the cliff.

Where did you come through in Maryland? We PCS'd here back in April and I just picked up my Patrol on Saturday.

The roads have been a little sketchy. I think the Mohawk Trail was a harder ride than the Blue Ridge. Sorry to hear about your friends accident. I hope he was ok.

The only town I remember in Maryland was Hancock. We came out of Pennsylvania on 522. The distance in Maryland was very short.

Have fun on your new Patrol. It is a blast!!!
MrsDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #37
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Blue View Post
Are you starting to feel more comfortable with your rig? Getting used to the pull and tugs of the sidecar, that sort of thing? It seems you've jumped right in and had fun from the very beginning, even if you were sore in spots here and there; but, is it getting to be "more fun" piloting your Gear Up as the miles accumulate?
I am starting to feel a little more comfortable with Boris. I still don't like right hand turns or curves but I am getting a little better at them. I have somewhat figured out how to use the tug and pull of throttle and breaking to help with steering, especially in curves.

Yesterday Boris crossed over the 1,000 miles mark on his odometer. It is hard to believe we have driven that far already. The more I drive him the easier it seems to be getting. I am very happy with my gear up.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #38
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

day 7

We got back onto the Blue Ridge Parkway around Lexington and stayed on it most of the day. We saw a lot of deer. We even saw a huge snake crossing the road. Sadly we didn't see any black bears in the wild. We did get Tobi a little black bear stuffed animal so he did get to see a "Bear"!

When we stopped the visitor's center they said that the rescue squads respond to over 450 accidents per year on the Parkway. The Parkway is a beautiful drive but there are very few guard rails. It seems like if there are that many accidents they would put up more railing, especially on the curves.

We stopped at Villa Appalachia Winery. I thought it would be nice to try a new winery, but they are only open on the weekends. So, we went to Chateau Morrisette. That place was slammed. Mom and Tobi did a little wine tasting, while dad and I watched. Sure wished we could be drinking too. We went on a condensed wine tour (they were washing the floors in the warehouse so we couldn't go in the back). Then we waited for over an hour to order wine. Glad they were busy but I didn't like it delayed out days drive so long.

Villa Appalachia Winery

Mabry Mill

We got off the parkway at highway 52 and took that into North Carolina. We made it as far as Mt. Airy (Home of Andy Griffith) before stopping for the evening. We are close to Boris's new home. One more day to go.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #39
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,469
Have fun in Mayberry!

And you better save some of that wine for me. I don't want to come home to an empty wine chiller!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #40
MrsDonkeys OP
Adventurer

Day 8

We decided to for go the Mayberry (Mt. Airy) detour and head straight home to Southern Pines. We wanted to get the brakes of the Harley checked out and book a fishing charter off the coast.

There weren't a lot of great sights on todays journey. We mostly wanted to get home as quick as possible, and we did.

Boris pulled into the driveway around 2pm and met Sophie. She is my husbands Honda CB 750. Since picking him up on August 2nd I have put 2,205km (1,370 miles) on him.

The hurry to get here turned out to be useless. The Harley shop can't get the bike in until the day mom and dad are leaving and the fishing charter was canceled due to the winds being to high.

At least we made it home safe and in descent time. It was a great trip and I learned a lot. We had fun and saw some great sights. All in all this was a great adventure and I can't wait to go on another long ride.

I really enjoyed mom and dad following behind on the Harley. They really helped a lot with keeping people from tailgating me and making me nervous while trying to figure out how to pilot this new machine. It was also wonderful to have Tobi along for the ride. He was a great navigator and a huge help with mapping out routes for the next day.

Mom and dad will leave in a couple days to drive 1,1052 miles back to Oklahoma and Tobi will hang out with me for another week before returning to Berlin.

A few questions for the Ural drivers:

1. When you remove the gas cap there is a metal piece. The paint is already peeling off and seems to be falling into the gas tank....will this become a problem later? It just doesn't look right to me.

2. The right side of the engine keeps getting gas dripped all over it from the overflow. I wouldn't care but it tends to end up on my right leg while driving. Is there a way to stop this other than being much more careful when filling up?

3. Is there a way to extend the right foot peg? I have no idea how big feet can set on this peg. My small feet set on the edge of the peg and if I want my whole foot on it I have to twist my ankle, which sucks because my right ankle and knee are always in an awkward position.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
Oblivion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Awesome. Great photos and commentary.

I know it's too late now, but a quick tip on the Zumo - instead of going waypoint to waypoint and stopping each time, you can put in your 'destination,' and then find midpoints along the way adding them as 'via' points (it'll ask when you select Go To). Another part to get to learn is the options under the Navigation screen including the "Avoidance" settings where you can tell is no tolls, interstates, etc.

Enjoy the new ride. I wanted to get one of those for carting my kid around. Soon enough, she'll be big enough to ride pillon. Oh well, may still need one anyway.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #42
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
A few questions for the Ural drivers:

1. When you remove the gas cap there is a metal piece. The paint is already peeling off and seems to be falling into the gas tank....will this become a problem later? It just doesn't look right to me.

2. The right side of the engine keeps getting gas dripped all over it from the overflow. I wouldn't care but it tends to end up on my right leg while driving. Is there a way to stop this other than being much more careful when filling up?

3. Is there a way to extend the right foot peg? I have no idea how big feet can set on this peg. My small feet set on the edge of the peg and if I want my whole foot on it I have to twist my ankle, which sucks because my right ankle and knee are always in an awkward position.[/QUOTE]

Brings back memories. I recently sold my trusty URAL after 15 happy years. Never left me down. It was red, just like yours. May get another one.
Re: #1 You want to remove as much of that loose paint as you can, and stop it from falling into the gas tank. Sometime later, you want to drain the tank, remove the petcock and clean the filter screen on it. That screen should prevent any paint chips from flowing on into the carbs, where it will cause problems. A good idea for now would be to add a simple, cheap inline filter, spliced into the gas line. Any auto store has these filters, but a motorcycle shop will have smaller ones better suited to a bike.
Re #2 Sounds like the overflow hose is too short or missing. Again, it's a cheap easy fix. Looking under the right side of the gas tank, you should find a nipple, there should be a hose slipped over it, and that hose should go all the way beneath the engine or transmission, so gas can drip directly onto the ground.
Re #3 I'm sure that foot peg could be spaced out with longer bolts.
Wish I were closer. We could fix these things in a matter of minutes.
Hope you enjoy your URAL as much as I did mine.
~Poppawheelie~

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 10:00 AM Reason: delete photos
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #43
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,469
So I just caught myself thumbing through the photobucket album and saw some good shots. So why not share?

Melissa loves old barns.

The tunnel:

A UDF spectator.

And the pilot.

Now let's see what else I can find in here...
Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #44
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,740
Really enjoyed your ride report. Thanks for the ride.
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #45
Circle Blue
Here and There

Oddometer: 59
And, how is post adventure life

I suspect you've settled in with your Gear Up. How are you doing? Still happy with Boris?

Any more adventures?
Circle Blue is offline   Reply With Quote