User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #46
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Question

txplants - So how did this turn out for you? Were you able to clean the threads, etc? Inquiring minds want to know . I hope it went well .
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #47
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 251
Success... after a few sleepless nights

Hi, Malloy,

I ended up having to track down a tap to chase the threads. I found out (from a technician at my dealer) that the pivot pin is installed at the factory with red loctite (think I didn’t feel like a “shaved tail louie”!).

After searching around my area with no luck, I finally found the correct size tap on Amazon (24mm x 1.25). It shipped from China, so my bike sat for about six weeks.

Once the tap arrived, I chased the threads ever so carefully (mm by mm) with plenty of oil and they were good as new. After that, the re-assembly was smooth sailing!

txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #48
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Way to go txplants. So, in retrospect, a heat gun might have helped loosen the thread locker. I had a hard time removing shocks until I remembered to use the heat gun. Glad you won!!

malloy screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 06:54 AM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #49
DAP
Dave

Oddometer: 21
Yup, it can be a bitch that little boot. I realize this is an old thread, but in case anyone stumbles upon it...

Superglue the retaining clip to the rubber boot. Now that little bastard can't keep falling out. Lube the boot up. The lube helps make a water-tight seal and helps everything slide on.

-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz View Post
All - I'll try to get some pictures but there's not much to photograph without a boroscope.

I would like to restate the problem I am having just to be clear.

With the swing arm on the bike and the forward boot completely removed from the bike. How do you re-install the boot? Which direction do you install it from and how do you seat it into the swingarm? The driveshaft is out so that is not a concern. The shock is disconnected so I can move the swingarm up or down easily as needed.

I now have a brand-new boot and cannot install it. I am installing it from the shock side of the swingarm, over the swingarm. Every time I do, the lock ring is displaced and either falls into the boot or falls into the swingarm.

Please, if anyone can guide me on removing the swing arm I'd appreciate it. I can't wait to buy the manual. I'd like to ride the bike before October. I appreciate Jim and everyone's guidance but there is no way to do this with the swing arm mounted. There is not enough room.

--Kevin
DAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #50
FirstMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post
Yup, it can be a bitch that little boot. I realize this is an old thread, but in case anyone stumbles upon it...

Superglue the retaining clip to the rubber boot. Now that little bastard can't keep falling out. Lube the boot up. The lube helps make a water-tight seal and helps everything slide on.

-Dave
Dave, you sir are a life saver. After 1.5 hours of pain, I came back to this thread and 15 minutes later the boot was in place. Holy cow does a little super glue make this job cake. Thank you all for the tips, advrider does it again.