User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #31
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 337
Different accesories

Hi Cul8rr ... see you have different accesories compared both bikes ... which are them? ... benefit of metal to soft side panniers? ... would it be possible to have your track posted as .jpg or .gdb if you carried GPS? ... very nice report ... hope to make a 2 month journey in Oz sometime next year with mu Black Pearl if they allow it as a temporary import.
Cheers,
Roberto aka Thagua
Thagua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #32
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,932
Hey mate great RR

Don't forget to post up a few of those sleeping Tenere pics Here

Got to catch up with the Stroms a bit.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
ned
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi,

just: WOW!... and maybe: f*ckin' f*cker of you...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #34
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Oddometer: 97
G'day Thagua,
Different accessories for different tastes.....
John liked the hard panniers, I like the soft.
The hard panniers did make it easier to pick up.........
i would rather the sw Motech sump guard. John had trouble getting his Altrider off when we serviced the bikes in Alice Springs. Both have excellent protection.
I have been tracking the whole trip on the GPS, when I get back home and have more time I will post the tracking info.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Finally left the Hunter Valley on Tuesday morning and headed for the Putty Road, been quite a while since I've enjoyed this road. Didn't stop much except for fuel along the way.
Out of nowhere this popped up. Must be prime real estate.......

Some of the views along the Bells Line on my way to Crookwell, or as the locals call it Sick Water.......

Brilliant roads through here with great scenery, except for the haze.......

Stopped to have a stretch and could hear running water...... finally found this in the side of the hill
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #36
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Left Crookwell once the fog had lifted....... Bloody cold down this way
I wonder how much colder it's going to be down there?

It hit 5 degrees through there......... Gotta love thermals haha
Stopped for a stretch along the dreaded Hume and come across this little bit of Aussie bushranger history.
As gold was discovered around the area in 1864,hold-ups increased along the road between Jugiong and Gundagai.
In November 1864,Ben Hall,Johnny Gilbert and John Dunn had a field day on one particular day robbing 60 people. Late in the day ,the mail coach arrived with Sargeant Edmund Parry and Inspector O'Neil riding shot-gun on top.
In the insuing battle,Sargeant Parry was killed .Inspector O'Neil survived because he ran out of bullets and had to surrender.

'Edmund Parry,Sargeant of the N.S.W. Police ,who lost his life in the execution of his duty whilst courageously endeavouring to capture the bushranger Gilbert by whom he was shot dead near Jugiong'.

This may have been the area. Stand here long enough and you could imagine the battle

Haven't been to this pub for about 18 years. An Aussie iconic pub thanks to Ken Maynard

This shot in particular has some...... memories of 18 years ago

Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #37
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Going from Albury through to Mildura.
Good to see things green again.

This would be a good spot for fishing.

You could only see this in Australia.......
The Down Under Dunny

And everything else.....
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #38
TrappedAtWork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Yep... looks bout right...
Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #39
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Not much to see going along the sealed roads.......
Murray River

Left Victoria.... 5th State I have been through. Into South Oz

I was asked at the quarantine station if I had anything to declare..... they didn't appreciate my response..... haha

I pulled up here for a look around and stretch. Where I am standing is about 40 metres above the water line and all the surrounding rock around here was embedded with seashells and oyster shells. incredible that this height was the sea bed.

Random shot of riding around the Murray River

Came across this bit of South Oz history

Come across this little gem...... Couldn't find my size or colour.....

Can't believe I am taking photo's of any sort of mine.......
If you are ever looking to step back in time and enjoy how it was in the 1850's in South Oz, call into Burra. Great little hidden gem.

Heading through the Southern Flinders Ranges

Apparently this bloke was 85 years old living out here never going anywhere else. Partly blind and deaf and surviving on mostly handouts. He had fallen over by the road one day broke his hip and deteriorated away and was eventually found passed away not far from his camp. He was cremated and his ashes spread around the area. Moving stuff.

Minnipa is famous for.......... The Concrete Crappa.... They must be very proud..... haha
I did check it out and it all functions as it should....

Climbed a granite outcrop of a view of the surrounding area on the way to Streaky Bay

Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #40
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,464
Big ride, mate. That first section of red greasy clay on the Great Central must have been exciting. What kind of tyres are you running and how are they coping with the sand and mud? How would you rate the Teneres for the job? They look perfect. The oil leak at the rear looks worrying - was it an easy fix?
Re the difference in posted lengths of the Dingo Fence, it's because the fence used to zig-zag all over the countryside between Surfers Paradise, Qld and Dog Fence Beach, SA, but it was realigned and straightened to suit changes in grazing areas, hence why it's some 3000km shorter now. So both signs were right when they were put there.
Glad you're enjoying our backyard. Really enjoying the bushranger bits.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #41
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,932
Excellent stuff.

You are covering big miles there!!

Hows the seat treating you?

The Yanks are having a bit of a winge so I was just wondering whether you are coping.

Keep it coming

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 10:55 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #42
Mario6000
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looking good Hollywood, recon Eric is missing you though..........!
Mario6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #43
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Finally got back into cyber world....... Not much signal out on the Nullarbor....
Since leaving Burra in South Oz just been slabbing it with high k's across the Nullarbor.

G'day Sundowner, You have a great backyard to play in...
Tyres on my bike. Front is a Mitas E10. New at the start, by the time I get home this arvo it will have done just over 11,000k's. And there is not that much left of it.
The rear I had the Heideneau 140 which was replaced at Newcastle after close to 12,000k's. I had put the Mitas E10 on the rear thinking I was going to catch up with John in SA and head to the corner and onto Birdsville. That never came about so it was point it west and start planning the next attempt.
The red clay out from Laverton was a case of point it east and try not to give it too much throttle..... most of the time we were standing doing a balancing act and wondering when both wheels are going to be in line again and for how long. That section was very challenging with the visors fogging up with the rain the amount of mud and crap that was being thrown up made vision a luxury on the times we could see what we were doing. Usually it was better when we didn't see..... haha Tyres went well through here but i think that was luck more than anything. Just after we left Laverton they closed the road.... Timing.....
Going through the sand on the Finke Heritage Trail was a case of when it starts to wobble......pin it and keep it there till the wobble goes away. That's the only way I can describe that section. By the end of it I had eyes the size of dinner plates looking for the next dune..... or a way around it....
I've been on road bikes the last 30 years, so I can't compare the Super Tenere with anything else....... It was a handfull in the mud and the sand but it got the job done. I had been doing a lot of bush work on it leading up to this trip but I wasn't prepared for the mud.... or sand around Finke...
The oil leak around the diff got both eyes opened wondering WTF.....
Drained the oil out at Alice and replaced it and had no worries since. We had thought the seal had blown but it is still doing it's job.
G'day GrahanD. The seat had been great on the times we used it early on.
Coming across the Nullarbor it got pretty hard after 8 hours or so. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I was in the seat for nearly 4 weeks.
G'day Mario, Eric who ????? It has been a while I had better make a phone call haha
Now for the last couple of days
I didn't stop too much on the run home.
The view back to Streaky Bay

Random shot on the Nullarbor

The cliffs at the Great Australian Bight. Got here a couple of hours late for THE shot.

Found this beaut camping spot a couple of k's of the highway. Would be good to wake up to these views each morning.

There is only 2 states to be in..... Pissed or WA...

Probably one of the most photographed signs out here

Stopped at a place called Newman Rocks, I had heard it was a top spot to camp and get some good photo's.
This was the first attempt...... Not that good. I had thought that this sort of thing was left behind in the mud and sand. Had a dumb arse moment looking for a good shot.

This was the shot a couple of minutes later.....

800k's to go.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #44
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Got to Coolgardie and made camp for the night.
Next day I thought I would catch up with one of the last of the early pioneers of Australia.
What people like Ernest Giles had done in the 1800's with the conditions that they had in the day truly remarkable. And yet we are out here with modern machinery, conveniences not that far away and doing it in relative comfort....... Hats of to them. Moving stuff indeed....

Mainly back to crunching the k's......
I came across a bit of a time warp..... I thought I had seen this about 3,000k's ago......
You just can't beat the original at Tabletop NSW.
This is another homage to Ken Maynard....

Having a rest along the way.....

I made it to Perth reasonably early and got a call from the minister of pleasure and finances and informed that there was a comfy motel room with our name on it in the centre of Perth......... Well no surprises where I had spent the night...... hehe
Finally made it back home........ 11,201km's in nearly 4 weeks
After 9,999.9k's the trip meter went back to zero.......
I had forgotten about this little treasure that I had picked up at Mt Dare.
When this had came out of the saddle bags it had all hit home with what I had achieved.
This now sits very high on the Brag shelf in the shed.
It is amazing how such a little thing can bring back so many memories on what was acheived just to get to this spot and sample the local port out of this.... Magic stuff.... No doubt the night at Mt Dare was memorable in itself at the time... but this shall always be a reminder....

A bit later on when things get back to.... "normal".... hopefully I will do a summary on the highs and lows of this little glimpse of Central Oz and how the S10 behaved.....
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #45
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 442
Great report cul8ter
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote