Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #46
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,780
Thanks for the RR cul8rr loved it ... how many Ettamogah's are there? as there's one down the road from me on the Sunny Coast

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #47
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Great ride report. Terrific pictures. That sand and slimy red stuff make Canadian gravel roads look like stuff for pussies.

It had never occurred to me that I might like to explore Oz on a bike. Now I do - thanks.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #48
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
Thanks for the RR cul8rr loved it ... how many Ettamogah's are there? as there's one down the road from me on the Sunny Coast
As far as I know there are 3 Ettamogah pubs in Oz.
I came across the one in Table Top NSW, near Albury by accident in 1992 I think it was...
back then that was all that was in the area and thought it was cool that nothing else was around but this iconic pub. There is a few more buildings around it now but it has still got that isolated feel about it.
The one in QLD and WA sorta miss the mark a fair bit with all the touristy in town atmosphere...
At one point in the ride I thought about doing all three pubs.... Maybe another ride just to get to the three Ettamogah's in the future haha
Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #49
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Great ride report. Terrific pictures. That sand and slimy red stuff make Canadian gravel roads look like stuff for pussies.

It had never occurred to me that I might like to explore Oz on a bike. Now I do - thanks.

Nick
Be careful what you wish for haha
The mud for that sort of distance was a surprise for where I was....
The sand I was expecting but not the way that I couldn't make out where the wheel ruts were. It just looked all resonably level..... The only indication I had was when the front wanted to tuck in or the back end wanted to come around and see what the front was doing....
Hairy stuff with all the gear on board but still achievable.....
Never a dull moment.
Give it a go. Central Oz is a place I will be seeing a lot more of in the near future..
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #50
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,780
thanks mate

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #51
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
Thanks for the RR cul8rr loved it
Ditto, great ride report cul8rr.

I am planning something very similar next year (50th b'day present to myself) on hopefully a KTM990. How did you go for fuel, what were the longest gaps between available fuel (thinking mainly GCR and Ood track here) and how did you go on Opal petrol. The Kato 990's are not known for good fuel consumption (300km per tank!).

cheers s9
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #52
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Ditto, great ride report cul8rr.

I am planning something very similar next year (50th b'day present to myself) on hopefully a KTM990. How did you go for fuel, what were the longest gaps between available fuel (thinking mainly GCR and Ood track here) and how did you go on Opal petrol. The Kato 990's are not known for good fuel consumption (300km per tank!).

cheers s9
It's a good b'day present, we are both around the better years as well haha. We had an absolute ball. Even in the conditions we had.... We had taken an extra 10 litres mainly for the stretch from Arkaroola to Camerons Corner. And Innamincka to Birdsville. 2 sections I missed but will be back for next year..... Had no worries using the Opal fuel. I thought the same thing, but both bikes didn't miss a beat. I did plan it with the extra fuel so that I was still running some premium in the tank each time..... Don't know if that made any difference or not. With the extra weight and conditions I was on reserve around 300k's, that got me between servo's no worries. I had the reserve plus the jerry can as back up if needed. If you have a range of 300 + reserve I would take a few litres in a can "just in case". If you find you are making the range easy than you can always donate the empty can to someone.....

cul8rr screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 04:58 PM
cul8rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #53
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 433
Laugh Great RR.

A question:
Was differential oil comming out the breather/seal area a recurring problem or just something that occurred that one time due to unusually harsh riding conditions - and are you considering it to be a weakness/problem?

Don T

Don T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #54
cul8rr OP
busa no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
A question:
Was differential oil comming out the breather/seal area a recurring problem or just something that occurred that one time due to unusually harsh riding conditions - and are you considering it to be a weakness/problem?

Don T
G'day mate
The oil appeared just the once on both bikes at the same time and since then, neither bike has had the problem again. I would say it is a one off for both bikes due to the conditions. Hot diff oil going through lots of cold water, constant corrugations. At Alice Springs we had both changed the diff oil and had no more problems. The oil that we had drained had a slight amount of water in it. But we had been going through the water crossings for nearly 5 days so overall it was a good example of how sturdy these bikes are built.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #55
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
What a great RR and interesting, informative photos, I don't know why but I always have a bit of a laugh when I see a pic of a dirt bike on the ground. ( my KLR blew over twice with strong Southerlies, but I wasn't laughing at the time.) Sure looked like you both had your hands full in the wet. I just back frm Birdsville, Innamincka via Cordillo rd, Cam crn. One big rain storm stopped everything.

The outback history you talk of is of real interest, and to think it was only about 100 / 150yrs ago. Congrats again on the big Distance and high daily mileage. Good memories I'm sure.
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote