Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
magoolin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Pretty sad that James' biscuit burner had to get this link from her lady co-worker! Thanks for sharing James.
I've been waiting to see and hear ALL about this trip. You know, the things that he doesn't remember to mention.
magoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #32
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 582
Don't worry Lynette, I've got a couple of real cutie pie pictures of James, coming up later in the thread. You'll be sble to forgive him when you see them.

Yes, Mat, it's a new TE630. I had 600 miles on it when I started the trip. It was a hard '3rd week of life for it' but it came through without any issues.

S1
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #33
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Saturday the 23rd, the start of the OBCDR.
It is what I have been waiting and planning for. I spent lots of time going over tracks and reports, compiling as much info as possible. Where to get gas, times they were open, what kind of gas. The southern part is the part I wanted the most, as I have ridden most of the northern parts. I was elected to be the navigator. One of the draw backs of being scout is you look like a dummy when you miss your turn and you are going back the way to find the right road, that and no dust. This trip had it all for roads to ride.

This is the 1st of 2 signs we would find.

We started out not sure if we would have to reroute as the last report said there was snow blocking Dismal creek. It was not.

Everyone loved this section

We rode thru Lakeview topping off tanks and grabbing a bite to eat.

Then on to Paisley for more gas.

I had this route laid out for 160 mile sections and then we would camp. Ryan had to be back in Seattle Wednesday and I promised him that I would get him there. That meant that we had to be at 4 corners campground Tuesday night. All of that area is my riding area and I knew that I could get him back to Pendleton by 10 am so he would be home on time. We made it to Fremont point and took a short break.

It was time to start looking for a campsite. Everyone wanted water and we found a spring fed pond that was just right for the 7 of us.

mrmagoolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 509
Lynette, don't feel bad. When Jeff crashed his bike back in March, he didn't say a word. I found out by asking why his bike wasn't in the garage a couple days after his return from that fateful weekend. He then 'fessed up. I suspect that I never would have known had I not asked about the whereabouts of the bike.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Yea but that is MUCH worse than what I did
mrmagoolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #36
timbanditos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

The campground shown above Summer Lake was a sweet place, too bad John and Jesse didn't listen to me abou the traffic!This was my second favorite campsite as it was very isolated with a good water source. I would recommend this one to anyone passing through the area.
timbanditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #37
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 725
wow, water in summer lake.

now back to the regular channel
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #38
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
We all appreciate your routing James. The OBDR was basically trouble free due to your fine GPS work.
It was a no brainer for the rest of us... Just ride!

There are sooo many beautiful spots on this ride. Sometimes for us it was hard to stop seven riders for pictures. So... too may standing around pics from me.
Hopefully some good ones.
More 1st day.

Beaut from the start.

A few gravel roads connecting all the good stuff.

And Jeffs bombing fuel tanker. What a rig, and great skills on it Jeff.

Fremont point.

Funny, the biggest guy had the littlest tent.
Whats up with that.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #39
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Saturday 23rd July 2011

The first day of the OBDR. This is it. I'm pretty stoked. Stoked because today I start riding the OBDR that I have heard and read so much about and stoked because I have 8 full days of riding before I have to be home.

After a 'slim' hotel breakfast and our last crap on a real porcelain toilet the 4 of us who hotel it on Friday in Lakeview (John, Ernie, Jesse and Mark) head off early to meet James, Ryan and Jeff at the start of the OBDR. We don’t want to be late because James said we start riding at 9:00am and we’re pretty sure he meant it.

When we get to the campground we are meeting them at I’m privately a little jealous because it is a fabulous spot. The road up to it is dusty, sandy and rough and my bike doesn’t handle well with all the extra weight. I’m worried at one point I have ‘lost’ the others already and it is going to be a long lonely week! Airing down the tires once we got to the start cured the bikes handling, it felt worlds apart from how it had been.

Despite the pictures above there are some rougher spots on day 1, nothing too gnarly we all handle them just fine and that inspires confidence in me that this trip isn’t going to get too rough on me or the bike. We ride through high meadows filled with lavender in full bloom and striking bunches of yellow flowers. It’s beautiful. Like a dummy I think it will be like this all day and neglect to take pictures, all too quickly it’s lost and were riding through different terrain. Will give me a good excuse to go back someday though.

Freemont Point was the highlight of the day and we camped not far from it. Despite everything I’d heard about mosquitos on the OBDR they weren’t too bad, but we all slather on the deet to be sure. Waking up the next morning in my tent in which I slept minus the fly I count 15 mosquitos on the outside just above my head. The good news is this was the last day when we really had any bother them worth mentioning and they were not half as bad as all the stories I’d heard.

I rode at the back most of the day, you can just make out the dust of the first riders on the trail far ahead.
Attached Images

s1marks screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 10:31 PM
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #40
s1marks OP
Mercedes

The view from Freemont Point
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #41
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #42
s1marks OP
Mercedes

The Campsite is right by the beautiful grove of Aspen (I thought they were Cottonwoods but Jeff puts me straight, he also tells me what a grove is and how all the trees share the same genetic makeup. He is a clever cloggs that Jeff).
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #43
Tugmun
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 44
Thanks

Wow what a trip fellas, thanks for sharin...

It's Not what you ride, it's that you Ride ! ! !
Tugmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #44
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 238
Right on guy's!!!! Looks like a blast for sure. S1, did you wind up with Radioman's Husky??? If AJ and Jesse are still in the CDA area, shoot me a PM and we can hook up for beverage or two.
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #45
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
You guys are too funny and I can hear hear S1Marks accent as I read his posts with some of the "different" word.

Good start with the flower.

And if AJ and Jesse are meeting up with Scoutman while in the CdA area I better be invited. Are you guys still in the area?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote