Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #76
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 578
Walla Walla draws near.

Wednesday 27 July 2011

James and I are the first to leave camp and we say our goodbyes and see you soon respectivly. It's slightly cool this morning and we ride some good stuff all the way to Starky to Gas up. Although they are not open yet, they see us outside and open up the pumps and store for us to fill up with both Gas and Water. There is something fantastic about the people of Eastern Oregon small towns and rural areas, they are helpful, pleasant, hard-working and generally happy. I want to be Eatern Oregon, it's the right way to be.

I don't take many pictures today, we are making great time with just the 2 of us because directions are so easy, just me following the ever constant, perfectly accurate compass that is James. We ride up over an overlook and look down upon some of the small towns that surround La Grande.

I remember my duty to Ladybug and snap these for her. Up on this ridge the flowers in some places look like they are tended by a gardener. It's a little odd, way up in the middle of nowhere, these are the wild ones though;

I also take a self-portrait, this is what I looked like up on that ridge, this is 5 days of riding the OBDR not punctuated by not an awfull lot of washing;

When we get to Walla Walla we eat at a Mcdonalds and I get to wash my hands and face. When you have been riding the OBDR for 5 days people treat you like you have the plague. After I wash I pick up a seat pad from Wal-Mart (I need this by now - a new Husky TE630 seat is hard and narrow). The manager is very helpful in directing me to what I'm looking for quickly. I figure the only time a Manager in Wal-Mart is that helpful is if you look like you have an awfull lot of money or if he doesn't want you in his store any longer than is humanly possible. I know I an not looking rich this day.

Outside Wal-Mart I part company with James who heads home to Pendleton. I thank him for all his help on this trip, this would be a tale of one broken leg, vultures, starvation, snakebite, breakdowns because of lack of gas and 2 lost souls still in the desert without his help.

I make my way to Enterprise to rejoin Jesse, John and Jeff at the LOG HOUSE RV & CAMPGROUND IN ENTERPRISE. Run by BRIAN and MARGARET WALKER (Tel: 541 426 4027). loghouservpark@yahoo.com (if you are an inmate needing a place to camp in the area)

I feel good to have finished the OBDR and be heading for Enterprise, I love that area.

And now I'm an adventure stud.

s1marks screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 09:38 PM
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #77
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Your signature, Max, refers to usable torque.
well, lemme tell ya. It's not always a good thing.
This was my first BIG river crossing.
I've done creeks & stuff,
and that little gem of a cool down deep creek in the desert was an easy breeze.

But when this water started pushing back at me and those monster tanks,
I began to quickly fear bogging down and falling into that big drink.
So,.... I gassed it, and I immedeatly squirted sideways bigtime on those slick rocks,
and headed very quickly DOWNRIVER

How I kept it upright in that river, I still don't know.
Thanks for being there in the river for me, Asrvivor
The rest of you felines with the "camera" excuse.....
well you know what I'm thinking

Shoot. I've got some posting up to do here.
I took over 500 pictures in about 3300 miles.
I've loaded them on the 'puter, but tonight I gotta load 'em onto SmugMug.
My photographic evidence of these true good times shall cometh........

If your buddy is doing a water crosssing 1st priority is - - - -> get photos! Those weren't excuses they were doing what they are supposed to do, it's the ADV way.

Waiting for more.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #78
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
Wednesday 27 July 2011

And now I'm an adventure stud.

This is front page material. What a stud. If only the accent could come thru also.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #79
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Wow Mark you clean up pretty good. We did not take many pictures on the last day did we.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #80
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,421
... all caught up.

And after my Dr. visit this morning I get a few bonus weeks of catching up... argh!

Great report and I am looking forward to more.

Please go ride and post more as it is all I am going to get for a while...

I am really bummed out not to be in any of those pictures...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #81
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 578
Ride to Hat Point

Thursday 28 July 2011

OK, Ray the Fisherman says keep going so, like I said I will keep on writing until the last man gets home (get back up to full speed soon Ray).

John has rented one of Brian’s "Beats the heck out of a Hotel Room" Tents. This tent is a great size and has a large bed (John), Couch (Mark) and a large floor (Jesse, because he is young and his bones will recover more quickly). Jeff sleeps in his own tent. We all get a good nights sleep. Jesse does some more "Bike Work" in the morning and we decide to ride up to Hat Point.

John and Jeff ponder over a map, I take pictures instead of telling them I know exactly how to get there.

We ride via Camp Creek road down to Imnaha. Camp Creek Road is my favorite road for riding UP, but we are riding DOWN Camp Creek Road. We are all going at a pretty good spate, I was leading but Jesse goes ahead because he wants to push it a little faster than me. At one point I lock up front, the rear and then the front again as I round a corner, but I stay on track. A few seconds later I realize Jesse was not so lucky on the same corner. His bike is upright but Jesse is hoping around crazily like he is 4 years old and needs to go toilet really badly.

Jesse washes his wounds in the creek. Given where we are I'd say that it is a fair assumption that Jesse is washing his wounds in Camp Creek. Jesse is young and he will recover, he's still sleeping on the floor tonight. (Incidentally Jesse has pretty hairy legs for a young man and oddly webbed fingers).

We make it down to Imnaha and stop at the Tavern/Store to have some food and a beer, except for Jesse because he is so young and it's good for a young man to deal with pain without the effects of alcohol to dull the pain. Just like they used to have to do in the olden days.

After lunch we head up to Hat Point. The road is wash-boarded badly at first but the rest of it is WAY smoother than I remember it from the previous year when I was here.

On the way up

All Husky's should be raised like this

John powers up top Hat Point

When we get to the top, Jesse and I climb the lookout tower and are invited to the top by the Fire lookout who tells us his name is Michael. He says he has been at Hat Point for 2 weeks and will be there a few months just scanning the Horizon for signs of smoke. Hat point is possibly the most beautiful place I have ever been to but I'm still not sure I could be there on my Jack Jones for 2 weeks yet alone a few months. He asks us to sign his visitors book which we do, it is late afternoon and we are only the 3rd entry in the book today.

Michael - The Fire Lookout (I hope those sunglasses aren't so dark that he can't see smoke and I hope even more that he is not wearing those dark glasses because he is blind, but if he is blind they are probably paying him too much)

Views from the top of the Lookout tower. (which I hope Michael can see because they are really neat and he is up here a LOT!).

When we get down from the tower I took this picture of the Wildflowers up there.

On the way down from Hat point we engage in some juvenile behavior because we have had a beer and because Jesse is Juvenile anyway so we might as well.

FYYFF

I have no more pictures but I can't end today’s report without mentioning the ride back up to camp which we rode via Camp Creek Road, which as I said earlier is very definitely an UP road. I have never ridden with a group of other riders that have ridden anywhere quite as aggressively as we hit Camp Creek Road. Camp Creek Road is such great road because the ride is so varied, smooth gravel one minute gives was to rocky hard pack, to rock strewn creek crossings (which are sadly dry today) to deep rutted dirt tracks and it swaps about constantly. At the top of camp creek road is Zumwault, a 4-lane highway of a gravel road which is possibly the fastest gravel road I know. The ride up this road was nothing short of Epic. I wished we had the entire ride on Helmet Cam, so I could ride it again now in my head.

Back at Camp Chef Jeff cooks up steaks. Dang that guy is one great cook, I think that is about the best steak I have ever eaten. John forgoes his steak as he had steak the night before and he is strong anyway. Jesse eats Johns steak too. He can really eat. We go to bed full and happy. I’m not calling Jesse a kid any longer because despite his wounds he doesn’t make one single whimper all night. Jesse is fashioning his own version of an being an adventure stud influenced certainly by the great company he keeps.

s1marks screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 10:48 PM
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #82
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:

After lunch we head up to Hat Point. The road is wash-boarded badly at first but
the rest of it is WAY smoother than I remember it from the previous year when I was here..........

.......All Husky's should be raised like this

That's because a year ago when you were there, you were riding your GS like a n00b.
This year, you rode that Husky like the Adventure Stud that you have become

Quote:
FYYFF

I have never ridden with a group of other riders that have ridden anywhere quite as aggressively as we hit Camp Creek Road. Camp Creek Road is such great road because the ride is so varied, smooth gravel one minute gives was to rocky hard pack, to rock strewn creek crossings (which are sadly dry today) to deep rutted dirt tracks and it swaps about constantly. At the top of camp creek road is Zumwault, a 4-lane highway of a gravel road which is possibly the fastest gravel road I know. The ride up this road was nothing short of Epic.
That was the absolute best ride of the whole trip.
I just thought that maybe the two drinks I had in Imnaha had something to do with me remembering it that way

But the reality is......WE RAILED THAT CAMP CREEK ROAD !!!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #83
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

A bit late to the postings.....

OBCDR Day #1

Jungle Man's (Kid Mechanic) and my ride continued on, after what you see in all these preceding pages,
I got home just this last Sunday at about 7:30pm.
Work has called since I have returned,
so I'm just getting to posting my Day #1 of the OBCDR

We meet at the Cave Creek Campground in California, where Mrmagoolin, Timbanditos and I spent a great night.
We had waterbags filled with filtered water by the time this motley crew showed up with tales of their journey down South

Asrvivor (River Queen) is ready to ride this bitch!!

We begin the ride in a field of dreams:

Pictures don't always do the real thing justice.
I rememeber this image to be much brighter, and the flowers much bigger.
But I counted at least SIX different kinds of wildflowers in this small shot

Mrmagoolin's (Scout) route takes us up through a campground on a VERY little used road.
When the big tree blocks our path,
we all get off the bikes BEAMING with the energy of the fun little two-track we just climbed

Jungle Man thinks this ride is pretty cool so far

Many of the roads here, through the Fremont National Forest, were fast and smooth.
This one was very low dust, and an easy ride downhill on a big bike.

and beautiful valleys full of our greatest ADVrider Dreams:

Asrvivor looks over Summer Lake from Fremont Point:

The first evening brought us to this tiny spring-turned-cattle-pond,
and it was a sweet place to spend our first night.

S1marks and I walked out on the road after dinner, to get a glimpse of this sunset.

The others under the trees truly missed a great moment in the awesome forest.
It is so different from the Mt. Hood Forest, with many different plants and trees,
but just as comforting to me as the forests near home
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #84
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
S1marks and I walked out on the road after dinner, to get a glimpse of this sunset.

The others under the trees truly missed a great moment in the awesome forest.
It is so different from the Mt. Hood Forest, with many different plants and trees,
but just as comforting to me as the forests near home [/QUOTE]

Not to mention the good night kiss under the sunset. I wondered where you and the adventure stud went? You were gone a long time too.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #85
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Not to mention the good night kiss under the sunset. I wondered where you and the adventure stud went? You were gone a long time too.
Am I sensing some........
Jealousy ???????
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #86
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Ooooohhhhhhhhh it looks like you boys were out together a little too long.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #87
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

OBCDR Day #2; The Great Sandy Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Ooooohhhhhhhhh it looks like you boys were out together a little too long.
In day 2 of this OBCDR section,,,........
I was definitely out too long.

This was our first glimpse of what was to come for day 2:

After riding the beautiful Fremont Forest from California to the outskirts of Silver Lake,
the Desert is a new thing for me.
I like trees. I REALLY like trees. When the trees go away, I'm not as comfortable.
I don't like heat. I'm not a fan of sand.

But, riding the OBCDR is about Adventure and Experience.
So...,,,,
I'm totally in.
For the first half of the day, at least to Christmas Valley, this was a blast.
A bit of sand, mixed with rocks......Good Stuff.

This view is straight from a movie....

This turn up towards the powerlines provided a challenging and kick-ass ride

This is a road?????? It was likely built when they put in the powerlines.
Nobody has come here since, I'm guessing, just us dorks riding the OBCDR

Look, there's one now.....

I swear I was having fun, and enjoying the challenge of riding in the sand.
.......Until lunchbreak at Christmas Valley.
The land Northeast of this place looks about as far away from "Christmas" as hell itself.

I took over 550 photos on this trip.
For the 120+ whatever miles from Christmas Valley to Riley....
I took this ONE photo.
Why ???????
IT ALL LOOOKS EXACTLY JUST LIKE THIS

Maxacceleration put it best.....
"You know what I saw today on the OBCDR.....??"
"Two Ruts"

When we FINALLY get to the Paved Highway leading to Riley,
well, I'm a bit excited.
In the first bit of GRAVEL that I've seen since early this morning,
I cook up a roost,
and promptly fall down hard as this big bike hooks up unexpectedly.
FAIL !!!!!
No pics, maybe it didn't actually happen, and it was all a dream.....

Well, anyhoo,, I rode that Desert with 900 pounds, and NEVER FELL ONCE, (not counting my show-off moment)
and I believe that was rather rare amongst our group that day....
So, I was kinda proud of myself.
But I was tired and done.
It was 5:30pm, and time for well deserved Camp and Whiskey.

Whaaaa???? Another 30 miles to go before camp????? NOT !!!!!!

Maxacceleration, Asrvivor, and I, head towards Lake Delintment on the fastest road we could find.
"Get me outta this frickin' Desert" was the common theme for us three.

Good call; this is a beautiful lake:

When Sunset hits, and we still don't see the rest of the crew...,,,
we get a bit worried.
Then we drink some more whiskey, and get over it quick.
A bath in this lake, after that day, and a glass of warm whiskey,
and all is good in our world.

When the rest of those hard-ass adventurers show up at 9:30pm with tales of dust, flat tires, more rocks and a baby's grave.....
I believe we made the right call.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #88
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post

Look, there's one now.....
Thanks!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #89
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Great ride! Brought back great memories from my rides on the obdr in 2008. Took my GSA

Looks like you had a. Great ride and bonded! Very cool and just what adv riding is about!

Thanks for sharing!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #90
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Thanks!
I was hoping no one would recognize you in that pic........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Looks like you had a great ride and bonded!
Whatrya tryin' to say here??????