Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #91
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I was hoping no one would recognize you in that pic........

Whatrya tryin' to say here??????
Well there was really only one, two man tent for all of us.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #92
jonesy250f
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
This is all great. Gotta get on the OBDR soon!
jonesy250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #93
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,235
OBCDR Official Route

Check out this Video from Oregon Public Broadcasting, first aired in 2001

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1410

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #94
Buck Nasty
Rhinestone Cowboy

Oddometer: 215
Thanks for the report guys! Man, those desert sections are some of my favorite! Doesn't sound like you liked them too much!

*2004 DRZ400S
www.benddualsport.com
*Honorary member of Team Oatmeal Pie!
My first mega ride..."Slabtastic Voyage"
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #95
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Well there was really only one, two man tent for all of us.
Spoon-Sized for seven

eew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
Thanks for the report guys! Man, those desert sections are some of my favorite! Doesn't sound like you liked them too much!
Yeeeaahh,,,,
NO.
Not on my 16/45 gearing setup (stock was 17/42 )
990s weren't bred to go slow. I wasn't bred to go slow.
Maybe with 14/92 sprockets or something.....then again....still NO.
Heat, dust, and ruts forever just plain suck to me. You fuggers are nuts
Give me the cool of the forest and a gnarly rocky road anyday.
And those red-dirt roads to the West of Bend?? ANY frickin' time, baaaybeee.

But what you say about the Desert, is what all the DRZ400 guys say,,,,
But then THEY disliked the deep gravel roads, where I rocked !!
"It's all floaty feeling, like a flat tire...." ,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #96
Buck Nasty
Rhinestone Cowboy

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Spoon-Sized for seven

eew.

Yeeeaahh,,,,
NO.
Not on my 16/45 gearing setup (stock was 17/42 )
990s weren't bred to go slow. I wasn't bred to go slow.
Maybe with 14/92 sprockets or something.....then again....still NO.
Heat, dust, and ruts forever just plain suck to me. You fuggers are nuts
Give me the cool of the forest and a gnarly rocky road anyday.
And those red-dirt roads to the West of Bend?? ANY frickin' time, baaaybeee.

But what you say about the Desert, is what all the DRZ400 guys say,,,,
But then THEY disliked the deep gravel roads, where I rocked !!
"It's all floaty feeling, like a flat tire...." ,,

Personally, I love the vistas that can be found in the desert. None of those dumb trees to block your view. You can point out your next stop and get there. I really dig the inhospitality of the desert. It makes you feel extra hard core! BTW, if you manage to find a 92t rear sprocket for your 990...I wanna see the resulting wheelies!

*2004 DRZ400S
www.benddualsport.com
*Honorary member of Team Oatmeal Pie!
My first mega ride..."Slabtastic Voyage"
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #97
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
I grew up in the Las Vegas desert, learned sand & sand washes well.
But the large multi cylinder ADV bikes don't do as well as any thumper IMO.
To me the XR650L would be perfect for the OBDR (as the DR650).
My F650GS was pretty washy in sand tracks.
A view is a view is a view!!! Like 'em all!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #98
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Oddometer: 601
Asotin to Buckhorn and back

Friday 29th July 2011

This morning we are waiting for the local bike shop to mount and balance John’s new tires, whilst Jesse is busy cleaning out his tank from some suspected bad gas. I have pretty bad gas too but it's OK because we are outside a lot camping.

Whilst John is waiting for his bike to be ready I head into Enterprise to try and find a new memory card for my camera. I have to look pretty hard but eventually find one in blue mountain computers. They just have one left that will fit my funky camera. The girl in the shop makes me test the card just in case it's faulty so I take a picture of her. She makes me promise to delete the picture from my camera and I want her to know if she is reading this that I have deleted the picture form my camera.

This is what she looks like.

We end up heading out a little after 1:00pm for our days ride, we try to take a short-cut through ‘paradise’ to the snake river, but were stopped at a gate by a farmer’s wife who tells us that there is no longer public access via that route even though the GPS’s are all sending us that way. She tells us we are not the first to try that route. We politely suggest she have the farmer put up signs to say “No trespassing”.

We stop for a picnic by the side of the road.

Next to this old run down house.

After eating we run down rattlesnake grade and look for another shortcut, but we are thwarted again.

The road continues but on the other side of the river.

The kid mechanic gets his mechanic mind to working how we can get across using the cable that spans the river, but we remind him that all our bikes are "working properly" and we don’t want to accidentally drop them in whilst we cross.

We head on to Asotin where I know a road that runs beside the snake river for a while before crossing over to Buckhorn and back to Enterprise, but we started late in the day for this trip and are blocked short cuts haven’t helped.

Things are starting to look a little ambitious with the light failing fast.

It sure is beautiful up here though.

We continue on, but now the road gets seriously dusty and we spread out more, each rider’s GPS is leading us a different route back to Enterprise but we are still trying to follow each other through the darkness and dust. After nearly hitting a cow, I stop and wait for Jesse at a turn and we are passed by a nut in a truck leaving a huge plume of dust in his wake. We wait for the dust to clear and are caught up by Jeff, but John who was riding 3rd in line is missing!

We wait for a few minutes and decide that Jeff and Jesse should double-back and search for John, whilst I stay put and try to make contact via, my SPOT and cell-phone. I am to wait 30 minutes for the others to return and then head back to Enterprise on my own if they don’t show by then.

It gets really dark now and I am alone in the woods.

But then I remember I am an adventure stud now and I must be brave because John might be depending upon me.

After 30 minutes Jeff and Jesse come back but they have found no sign of John. It is starting to get really cold and because we didn’t start riding until late today and it was really hot when we started (and we never intended to be out late) we are all wearing our lightest riding gear and have precious little spare riding gear along with us (Jesse is just in a dirt bike top and his pressure suit).

We decide to ride back to Enterprise and raise the alarm if we get there and find no John. All the way bike I am figuring out what we need to do….borrow Brian’s car…pack extra gear on the back of Jeff’s bike, get spare batteries for the SPOT, bring a sleeping bag and a tent in case John can’t ride! It is getting real cold and I know if John is still out there when we get back he is going to be cold and quite possibly out of gas and very lost also.

Once we get back on pavement we fly back to Enterprise.

When we arrive we find John has beaten us back by an hour! He has a fire burning and has eaten. But, it is good to see him and frankly I am pretty relieved. For the first time on this trip our method of following each other did not work out and in the back of my mind I know it’s my own dumb fault for leading them up onto those roads when it was probably later than was sensible to have done so.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #99
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,605
Yikes - glad all ended well. Someone needs to put a leash on John, he can't be trusted out alone. At least he knew his way back to camp.

It's nice to know when in the Enterprise area Brian at the Log House RV park can be counted on. They are some mighty fine folks and I'm glad you spent some time there during your ride.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #100
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Lost

Don't let mark fool ya, he took out a 1.5 million insurance policy out on me before we left on this trip. I found this out later, also found out later that every rattlesnake we passed or ran over mark was pulling the fangs. Uh huh that's right adventure stud may be a murderer in disguise. I've called Americas most wanted but they don't look after foreigners. Or at least people with accents.
This midnight, sub zero ride was tuff, but we are all adventure studs now and I hope I didn't cause to much stress. While I was a little spooked riding 2 hours down 2 track in the pitch black. Not to mention about 40 degrees in summer gear. I did see coyotes, deer, elk, cows, horses and these were all in my headlights. It was a slow ride for sure. And scary, never know when your gonna here that banjo from the shadows. It was a warm feeling when I saw a house on the hill with a light on. Whew

As to our separation, my gps said go this way, marks said go this way and Jeffs said go that way. Then we were passed by one of those assholes with a big set of balls hanging from their hitch, you know the type. Well very dusty gravel road and he is going 60mph. So I stop turn around thinking I missed the turn because my gps says so. So I go back a couple hundred feet make the turn (by the way still 0 visibility) and go about .25 mile down rode. There are tracks on the road so i figure this is it. Then I see taillights, ( those look strange) oh well must be them. Get about 5 miles down road, still a dust bowl, and bam it's 2 frickin 4 wheelers with kids on them. When did they decide 4 wheelers needed tail lights. Shit I think, they are gonna be wondering where I am and worried. Do I go back, no they are smart enough to figure I can find my way, I hope. Besides I've waisted 30 min following these 4 wheelers. The guys are gonna be gone and I'll freeze my ass off if I head back. Mark knows me best and I know he'll make a good decision. And I know if he doesn't find me at camp he'll spend a week bringing in the military to help find me. Comforting. So in the pitch black I'm singing in my helmet to keep myself sane, talking to the fucking cows I almost hit multiple times( more like bitching at them), you know like "fucking idiot cow someone should shoot your stupid ass now and get it over with". They aren't listening though. And then just when I think I'm gonna freeze, pavement! 10 minutes later and my 3 hour tour is over. No Marianne to greet me though. So i start talking with park host, nope haven't seen them. I start texting, nope no service. Then to my delight in pull a tired, freezing cold and hungry crew. I get and give hugs and we sit by the fire and eat and talk about how cool that road was to ride. Adventure studs.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #101
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,044
Awesome RR guys! Made it through page one and gotta run. Look forward to reading the rest!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #102
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,605
I'm still lovin' this report. I sure hope all you Adventure Studs will be at the Hells Canyon gathering again next year. You're all just too much fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #103
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,925
John you really need to tempt those big ass cows at 60 mph.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #104
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Heading West

Saturday 30th July 2011

John and I are going to make our way westward today toward home. Jeff and Jesse are heading north; they have another week of riding ahead of them.

First though I head over to Joseph and pick up a new rear tire from James who is there for the weekend. He has kindly bought one over from Pendleton so that I can make it home without running on the rims (the new rear tire I purchased from CrazyBrit just a week or so ago is now completely shot). I make a bodge of my first attempt at changing the tire and give my inner tube a pinch flat. No big deal I patch it and we get packed up, but we're a little late heading off then we should have been (I vow never to make that error changing tires again...).

I suspect Brain and Margaret at the LOG HOUSE RV PARK (which is where YOU should stay if you are ever in Enterprise) are looking forward to getting back to a more orderly looking place.

We head off a little after noon. John and I are headed to John's brother Joe's house outside of La Grande, John wants to drop by, say "Hello" and maybe catch a bite to eat.

Joe's place is a nice house built around 1907 (or so) and it reminds me a little of the house I grew up in (which we would call "Edwardian" in England but I would suppose you would name your house era's after presidents so I guess you'd call it "Theodorian").

Joe and his wife grow a lot of their own food and raise chickens and goats as well as other livestock. Their vegetable garden puts mine to shame (too much time riding bike not enough time with hoe in hand). I hope I don't sound too eager when Joe offers us some food. It's good to eat some really fresh food; dried packets of pre-packaged, processed what-not grow old on you fast. Joe offers us some fresh goat’s milk which I've never had before he tells us it's not pasteurized which is fine by me. The taste is not unlike slightly creamy cow’s milk. It comes out of the fridge, but I know it's fresh because it is still slightly warm!

Joe's eldest son, who I think I recall is 6, sits with us whilst we eat. He tucks into some snap peas that have come from the garden. It's good to see a child eat like that; he looks like he is enjoying those snap peas more than most kids enjoy chocolate. Whilst we are eating, Joe's wife and other 2 children arrive home from the store. All 3 kids hug John before we leave and I'm a little bit jealous, they're really happy kids with a sparkle to them and you can tell they really love seeing Uncle John.

I leave kind of impressed with the whole family and Joe's eldest calls out "Come again soon", brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. They were just a really nice family and it was good to share just a short time with them.

Nearby is this old fallen down hot bath house. The replacement looks like a cross between a modern day hotel and an uppity golf club. I don't want a picture of the new place.

We wind our way through Ukiah (Bad Gas in Ukiah which causes power loss in Johns Bike) and head toward Hepner. We take a detour onto some gravel and up into the woods. We come across a camper van with 4 dogs that come out barking at us. John hi-tails it out of there, I'm not so lucky, I have to turn my bike around and in my haste I drop it! Fortunately the dogs are barkers and not biters and as I right my bike a woman in the camper van comes out to see what all the commotion is about. I apologize and make haste away, John says he was going to come back to pick my bones up (if there were any left) but I'm not so sure.

We arrive at Hepner and decide to camp by the reservoir.

We are in bed by 10:00pm and sleeping. At 11:00pm a large family arrives and proceeds to make about as much noise as you can conceivably imagine. They park their boat not 2 feet from my tent whilst the kids run around it and shout & scream. The adults go on making a racket for the next hour. I’m wishing we had camped in the woods with the crazy dog woman.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #105
s1marks OP
Mercedes

Homeward Bound.

Sunday 31st July 2011

Karma is a wonderfull thing. Instant Karma even better. Instant Karma that you can activly participate is "Priceless".

We are up pretty early and adopt our previous evenings picnic table which actually belongs to a neighboring but empty RV spot. John still blurry eyed asks me if we still have coffee, I walk back to the tent to take a look and call back to him "JOHN, I FOUND IT, IT'S RIGHT HERE UNDER ALL THIS STUFF. I DON"T HAVE ANY SUGAR JOHN, IS THAT ALL RIGHT?". A couple of minutes later the noisy family from last night has decided it's time to get up too!

If you look closely you can tell we were up pretty early because it must have been cold.

Today is about getting home and reconciling ourselves with another work week after this great trip. I'd do the trip back-to-back and then again in a heart-beat. (BTW: My week back at work was a tough one, my body was at work but my head and my heart were still somewhere out on the road).

The rest of the trip back home is uneventful except for one thing. At about 9:00am, 10 miles out of Heppner (which is pretty well the middle of nowhere) is a man walking pulling a small luggage cart behind him to which is strapped a few possesions and a gallon of water. He is heading toward Condon (another 35 miles away, also the middle of nowhere). He appears 'homeless', but there he is walking that way anyway.

I guess I have to wonder who the real adventure stud is.

I think this is pretty well going to wrap up this ride report for me. I will publish one more post with a map before I finally call it done.

Untill next time (and Oh Boy! There will be a next time).