ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
ktmkevinm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
My friend and I came up with what I think is a good idea but I don't know how to post the pics. How are you guys doing it?
ktmkevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
So I worked this up on eMachineShop tonight. Hangs inside the hoop with 1 inch RipWrap or One-Wrap. I'm considering ABS or whatever Pelican cases are made of at 0.375 inch thick. If you have the 60012020100 rack you'll understand the placement of the strap openings.

The idea is RotoPax mounted to this and then some Wolfman bags (more RipWrap!).

Impressions? Suggestions?

BTW, new owner. Picked up my new old stock 2010 White last week. Love it. It's like a Tuono got a F650GS Dakar pregnant and they had a wild kid. Been reading this board for awhile now and y'all's opinions factored a lot in my decision.
Any chance of getting an electronic copy of this drawing? I wouldn't mind running this through a CNC here at work.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I built this for the tail rack 1/4 plate aluminum. I use with the giantloop and a tail bag on top.

What size tank is that?

I really like this setup, thanks for sharing!
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #34
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
have to take pics

I need to take pictures of the mounting plates I fabbed out of the big ATV one. They hang on the back side of the rack system. Bent to bring the roto lock moounting surface close to even with the rack and notched to lock in with the top rack brace. Once you put a two gallon pack or tool case on and twist the handle compression holds in place. So no tools needed to install or remove quick and easy. Once installed if you don't have a passanger through a true mule pack saddle over the back for a easy soft pack with plenty of volume. With any of these I definitely recommend decatting or going to after market exhaust before you strap 4 gallons on the back. As on of the more senior riders here said one day. Who's riding the bike with a bomb strapped to their ass?
terrascout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #35
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post

I'v been thinking to do the same, except aluminium and 9 clamps (4 for the top, 3 for the bottom, 1 on each side)
But the clamp i found are 3/4... too big, they are loose, wich is not good
Alternative could be to put the sheet on the other side of the rack, then the rotopax clamp will hold everything tight when locked
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
I'v been thinking to do the same, except aluminium and 9 clamps (4 for the top, 3 for the bottom, 1 on each side)
Alternative could be to put the sheet on the other side of the rack, then the rotopax clamp will hold everything tight when locked
1/2" conduit clamps are the right size. See: Post 12 of this thread
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
1/2" conduit clamps are the right size. See: Post 12 of this thread
Thanks !
I also baught 1/2 clamps... too tight !
The tube are 18mm and 1/2" is 12.7
I use the stainless touratech panier holder.
I guess I'll use some tape a thin vinyl tube... But I'll check again the 1/2, thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #38
Alleycatdad OP
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Aluminum is still the plan; just haven't had any problems with the plastic yet...

Got the happy trails pannier mounts to make that whole thing quick release, haven't gotten to that yet, either.

I thought about the sandwich, but I have seen a couple of reports (come to think of it, one may be in this very thread...) of the bolt breaking on the rotopax mount; if you do the "sandwich" thing that leaves more bolt unsupported as the thickness of the case/can plus the rack is greater.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks !
I also baught 1/2 clamps... too tight !
The tube are 18mm and 1/2" is 12.7
I use the stainless touratech panier holder.
I guess I'll use some tape a thin vinyl tube... But I'll check again the 1/2, thanks
My memory may be faulty, the 1/2" metal conduit is an id measurement, so the outside diameter is very similar to the od size of the 18mm tubes. Also, the conduit clamps enclose only a little more than 180 deg. of the tube, so the fit is a perfect snap on fit. I use those clamps only on the bottom of the plates.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Aluminum is still the plan; just haven't had any problems with the plastic yet...

Got the happy trails pannier mounts to make that whole thing quick release, haven't gotten to that yet, either.

I thought about the sandwich, but I have seen a couple of reports (come to think of it, one may be in this very thread...) of the bolt breaking on the rotopax mount; if you do the "sandwich" thing that leaves more bolt unsupported as the thickness of the case/can plus the rack is greater.

Steve

You must have got the last set Happy Trails had, ordered mine 4 weeks ago and still waiting. They said they ran out and are waiting on their supplier.

It happens, but would like to finish the build.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
Alleycatdad OP
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,424
Actually I waited about 4 weeks as well...

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
My memory may be faulty, the 1/2" metal conduit is an id measurement, so the outside diameter is very similar to the od size of the 18mm tubes. Also, the conduit clamps enclose only a little more than 180 deg. of the tube, so the fit is a perfect snap on fit. I use those clamps only on the bottom of the plates.
This is what the 1/2 looks like on m y bike

To me, it's too wide open to be trustable (I could use some spacer)

And I found some 5/8 wich look better

Less rubber, but still some vynil protection

4 of them and the sandwich plan may be the solution I go with (but working on another idea)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #43
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:

The 1/2" conduit clamp I used does not fully encircle the tube.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #44
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Dirt jack is correct

1/2" is generally the ID of the conduit, so the OD varies depending on whether it is e.m.t. or rigid pipe (which, as far as straps are concerned, is the same size as PVC conduit). They are frequently labelled TW for thin wall and HW for heavy wall and the difference between them is basically one standard conduit size. In simpler language a 1/2" HW is a similar size to a 3/4" TW and a 3/4" HW the same as a 1" TW, and so on. The HW straps are usually made of heavier material. Sorry users of the metric system, this info is from the dark side only.

Now that you know more than you ever wanted to about conduit straps, let me say that I personally wouldn't use one-hole straps to mount anything that heavy. They don't hold conduit onto buildings very well, and most people don't take their homes on washboard two-track at triple digit speeds (although that sounds like fun).
The steel wrap around style with vinyl insulation are actually stronger than they deserve to be, and won't let go, just maybe get loose, but don't use the aluminum ones. Remember that these are designed more for holding wire looms, as the packaging photo suggests.

RoundOz screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 11:49 PM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #45
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post

Now that you know more than you ever wanted to about conduit straps, let me say that I personally wouldn't use one-hole straps to mount anything that heavy. They don't hold conduit onto buildings very well, and most people don't take their homes on washboard two-track at triple digit speeds (although that sounds like fun).
I agree. That is why I used thru bolts with 1/8" aluminum strap on the top mounting points.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro