User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Wink KTM 450 EXC - removing cev switch?

I just picked up a 2005 KTM 450 EXC and it has a factory installed cev switch, complete with front and rear directionals, horn, light switch and kill switch. I'd like to remove the cev control, horn and directionals and replace it with a simple kill switch. I was wondering if anyone had done this and could provide any advice?

And yes, for anyone interested I'll be happy to sell the cev switch and front/rear directionals should I be successful in removing them!

Thanks!
sjeproductions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller....
Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
busmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
pm sent
busmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the PM...

...to clarify, I have this switch on my bike (along with full directionals, etc.) and want to pull it all off and replace with simple kill switch. Just trying to clarify where i should plug in the new kill switch when I remove this and if I should go ahead and pull the full harness ties to the directionals, etc? Figure I'd try and get some clarity before diving in.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Its not clear from your posts what you are intending to do. Do you no longer have lights or indicators? If so, just look at the wiring diagram and put a kill switch across the 2 pins required. From memory you are going between one pin on the block to a single socket. You can also wire up a kill switch using other spare connections but if your ditching the switch there is no reason to use that. If you are sourcing a kill switch, most will work in reverse, KTM is make to kill, most bikes these days are make to run but there are make to kill versions about.
If you unplug the switchgear the bike will still run.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
sjeproductions OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Third times a charm...The 2005 KTM 450 EXC I bought has the CEV switch, along with front and rear directionals, a brake light, a horn and headlight. I plan on removing all the directionals, the horn and CEV switch, while keeping the headlight and brake light. I'll add a stock KTM kill switch. Was trying to determine the easiest way to add the kill switch after I remove all the stuff I don't need.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
jms415
KTM disciple

Oddometer: 67
SicAssRacing products

I recently installed some Sic Ass Racing products (LED stuff) on my 2010 450EXC (champs editions) and those guys are really helpful and knowledgeable over the phone. I would consider buying one of their switches and they could walk you thru your modification. I barely got mine to work with the help of a buddy and a few phone calls to SAR.

It wasn't that bad looking back, but it did take a few nights because I had a wire that had been "pinched" from one of my expert crashes. It took me a while to track it down, but really satisfying when I found it!!

I am considering changing another switch and when I do, I won't hesitate to call them for some advice, those guys are geniuses compared to me in the electronics department!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
h2oplayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Still available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeproductions View Post
Third times a charm...The 2005 KTM 450 EXC I bought has the CEV switch, along with front and rear directionals, a brake light, a horn and headlight. I plan on removing all the directionals, the horn and CEV switch, while keeping the headlight and brake light. I'll add a stock KTM kill switch. Was trying to determine the easiest way to add the kill switch after I remove all the stuff I don't need.
I know this is an old post but I wanted to know if you still had this for sale? I sent you an email as well.
LC4 six days

Some of my past rides
GSXR1000, FZ1, ZX-10, CBR1000F Hurricane
Sabre V65. CB1100F, CB900F, CB750F, CB750K
Kawasaki 750 H2 Triple, RD350 and RZ350
YZ250F, KDX200, Elsinore MT125
h2oplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Skiwi
n00b

Oddometer: 9
IMHO, remove all the street bits but keep the switch, it has a kill switch built in and if you retain it and the wiring loom it will increase your sale potential when you go to sell it.
(I wouldn't have brought my current 450 if it didn't have the potential to get it WOF)
Skiwi is offline   Reply With Quote