Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,751
Question Need Advise on Artic Trip

Reason for nuking post:

I’m saddened to be seen as an attention seeker when all I thought I was doing was sharing my life among fellow riders.

In order to live as humbly as I can, I must avoid the appearance of attention seeking behavior.

Perhaps I was posting to feed my ego, because it did make me feel good when people said they liked or supported what I said. But at the same time it made me uncomfortable. I think that uncomfortable feeling was because deep down I knew it fed my ego, and that was not living humbly.

I have received more than I’m worthy and given as much as I could to this site and it’s members. For both, I’m grateful.

Off to seek peace in all things and to ride with joy.
I wish for you all the same.

Gwen

Shoganai screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 04:23 AM
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:58 AM   #2
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 376
Artic

I have been thinking of doing the same trip in 2006. I think good planning, self education and a large dose of common sense are all important. There are some good websites that document prior trips, which will help you develope a game plan.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,726
Since you are planning to ride there in 2006, you should plan on being in Anchorage at the end of the Alcan 5000. I have heard there may be a small party there for a few ADV riders.
www.alcan5000.com

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #4
FN in MT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Far from an expert but...........

I've wanted to do a similar trip for a few years and have a few suggestions. #1 get "The Milepost" . A 2" thick book that gives you a LOT of info on both AK roads and businesses as well as all the western Canadian Provinces. Theres a decent map included as well. Lots of good info for planning a route up and back.

#2 take a look at the current copy of "Alaska by Motcrcycle" by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier. He's apparently done AK for quite a few years as well as running M/C tours there. Get the current edition .

I've ridden several areas of northern AB and BC but never been up into the NWT or Yukon. I can relate that one does NOT want to have a mechanical or physical problem as it can REALLY co$t a ton. I've have a friend who wrecked his bike and hurt himself up north and the cost was staggering. Those costs escalate the farther north you go. Something to keep in mind if your on a budget.

I'd imagine that a prudent, well equipped rider should be able to do the trip without incident. I've read accounts of guys on Sportsters doing the Dempster Hwy up to Inuvik with very minimal gear.

There is a site by a guy who made the trip up to the Arctic Circle on a Sportster, with a cotton duffle bag tied on the back with clothseline and he made it without incident. Try a search for the site.

FN in MT

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge
FN in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I'm planning a solo trip this summer (2005), leaving Alberta mid June and eventually up the Dempster. I ride a V-Strom. When I get back I'll try to figure out this system and post some photos and a report. From reading the many good posts on this site, it would seem that the most challanging section fuel wise is from Dawson City to Eagle Plains. I think the Strom will do that distance (at least it does so far), but I'll carry a 1 gallon spare to be safe. Happy riding!
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Look right here

Some of the best information on travel to the North can be found in ride reports posted here at advrider. Check out Antware's report, and Curtis's report and many more. They have done the tour and did a great job of giveng advice for future adventures.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Shoganai,

According to the Alcan 5000 site there is no rally this year. It looks like it is scheduled for August of 2006 As another option you might try meeting up with the Dust to Dawson (D2D) crowd in Dawson City on the 17th and 18th of June. A number of riders who frequent this forum will be there and several of them have mentioned continuing up to Inuvik. Hope to see you there.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrider
Shoganai,

According to the Alcan 5000 site there is no rally this year. It looks like it is scheduled for August of 2006 As another option you might try meeting up with the Dust to Dawson (D2D) crowd in Dawson City on the 17th and 18th of June. A number of riders who frequent this forum will be there and several of them have mentioned continuing up to Inuvik. Hope to see you there.

You are so correct NorthRider... send them all to the Dempster Dash or Dust to Dawson thread.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:27 AM   #9
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 376
Trip North

Shoganai

I posted this last night on a Ontario board and have just started reading about the Dempter. The book is worthy.

Just received my 2005 - 57th Edition of THE MILEPOST, the bible of North Country Travel. This book provides details of food, gas, lodging, camping, fishing, sightseeing and road conditions along the highways and byways of Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories and major access routes in Alberta and British Columbia.

This book should provide endless nights of dreaming & planning of far off adventures, at least until we're rid of the snow.

www.themilepost.com

John
Peterborough, ON
BMW R1150GS

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
It's nice to get some support. Being a girl on a motorcycle, I've found most men are patronizing at best when asking advice. Except my local shop guy who knows I lay down 30,000+ miles a year. I'll be going to BMW MOA Rally in Lima this year and I hope to buy some equipment and see how others set up their bikes. It would be nice if I happen to be up there around the D2D. I haven't set a departure date but I'll be taking 35-40 days off to do this.

Sounds great ShoGee: Feel free to jump on the D2D/DD threads any time and fire away. You will find a ton of info about riding in this "last best place"
Most of the the Gruvers have lived and ridden up here for many, many years.
There is a wealth of knowledge available with a tap of the fingers. The people you chat with will make your Alaska/Yukon ride one that you'll never forget. Ride Safely
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
gruver?

Quote:
Since I'm new to this, bare with my ignorance, but what's a gruver?
Hey Shoganai check out my web sit for a desription. www.abbeyauto.com at lest as my wife see it
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Since I'm new to this, bare with my ignorance, but what's a gruver?

See Dust to Dawson thread pages 1 thru 149...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
This is the first forum I've every been a part of so hold my hand a bit. How do I find the D2D thread? I just got "Milepost", you're right, this is a MUST have book. I also got "Canada's Western Artic". I enjoyed the abbyauto.com site, thank you.
One other question about tires....... this trip I'm planning should cover 11,000+ miles. My street tires will be fine until I face the Dempster. At some point I'm going to have to switch to a tire more suited to dirt. Any suggestions where I should do this and what type of tire I should buy?

BTW I've been reading your stuff... you guys sound like alot fun to hang out with.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10945
Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
Curtis
Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
One other question about tires....... this trip I'm planning should cover 11,000+ miles. My street tires will be fine until I face the Dempster. At some point I'm going to have to switch to a tire more suited to dirt. Any suggestions where I should do this and what type of tire I should buy?
Which direction will you be coming from for the Dempster? The closest place for tire change is Whitehorse but the Honda shop is very proud of doing tire installs and wants you to pay them accordingly. They will claim to balance them and not do it. Check the Harley shop in Whitehorse, they had a kickass balancer but were missing the BMW hub attachment for rear.

The traction varies on the Dempster too. If it's wet it's slippery snot, if it's dry and hard it's like riding on cement. Get used to floating on the loose gravel in parts. The point is street tires may be fine. No tire will be the fix-all in wet snot or deep gravel, knobbs will help some.

I'm assuming you saw my post about the fuel issue and possible solutions.
"Life serves the risk taker", Bathroom wall, Moe's frontier bar, Skagway, Alaska

Curtis screwed with this post 03-10-2005 at 12:30 PM
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
My street tires will be fine until I face the Dempster. At some point I'm going to have to switch to a tire more suited to dirt. Any suggestions where I should do this and what type of tire I should buy?
This may turn out to be a bigger issue than you're expecting. Not necessarily swapping the tires but suspension geometry, travel, and there may be limited DS tire choices for that rim. Is your bike scuffed? Do you mind if it gets that way?
legion is offline   Reply With Quote