Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
LC Smith OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Woman rider moving to Abu Dhabi looking for advice and riders there.

Hi All:
I am a woman biker moving to Abu Dhabi from the States this September and wonder if any of you can advise me. I have a sweet old Beemer ('69 R60/2) and would like to ship it there. What is the down side of bringing your own bike into the country vs. buying a bike once you've arrived? I have a two-year work contract and will want to ship the bike back to the States when I leave rather than sell it. Also, I am wondering how women riders fare out there. Are there expat riding groups around?
Thanks for any insights you can share.
All best,
Lisa

LC Smith screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 02:47 PM
LC Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
carp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I shipped my bmw k75 to Muscat Oman. I would try to connect with some bikers there and find out about used prices. I considered selling mine there but would have gotten less that if I sold it in the states. Ocassionally in Oman there were some very nice used bikes that went for reasonable prices.
carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Abu D motorcycle club

Hey LC

Go join this website...open to riders on all makes of bikes.
Can't beat local info.
Based in ABU D.

http://www.exiles-mc.com/

I know it's a real endurance thing to ride there in the summer, because it's so freaking hot.
I've been offered PSC work there before.

Good luck.
Let us know how you go.

Cheers: Jaq.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
LC Smith OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks to all!

You are so kind. Hope to meet some of you out there this fall and winter.
Lisa
Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
dustraiser
"do it"

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Smith
Hi All:
I am a woman biker moving to Abu Dhabi from the States this September and wonder if any of you can advise me. I have a sweet old Beemer ('69 R60/2) and would like to ship it there. What is the down side of bringing your own bike into the country vs. buying a bike once you've arrived? I have a two-year work contract and will want to ship the bike back to the States when I leave rather than sell it. Also, I am wondering how women riders fare out there. Are there expat riding groups around?
All best,
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I am an expat living in the UAE for the past few years and there are ample woman riders in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. There are many Friday morning (which is the weekend in the UAE) rides which take place and include lady riders.

Regarding bringing your Beemer over: I own 6 motorcycles, one of which is a Beemer and have experienced the Beemer motorcycle service as being poor and expensive and a long waiting period for parts. If your R60 is in good running condition and you do not envisage extended dealer support, I would recommend you bring it with you.

Alternatively, I see selected motorcycles brands as being relatively cheap in the UAE.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions

Regards
Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
kirkkw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Shiipig to ME

Lisa, I have lived in Saudi for 12+ years and have shipped bikes both ways. My recommendation is that you not ship your bike to the ME since you will only be there 2 years. It will be far less hassle and less expensive to buy and resell a bike for your stay in the ME.

I would recommend a Vstrom 650 (low & light) for your stay. You could buy a new weestrom and sell if for 1/2-1/3 the cost and break even with the shipping costs of transporting your BMW both ways. If the weestrom is used then you will be ahead of the game. My experience in the ME is that Airheads parts will be virtually impossible to find - I had 2 airheads in Saudi.

Ken
PS: you can contact me using my log-in name at yahoo.com if you want more info.
kirkkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Smith
Hi All:
All best,
Lisa
One thing worth considering is the saline corrosive air in the Gulf, particuarly Abu Dhabi. Everything rusts. I had a BMW car that started rusting after 2 years. If it's a bike you want to keep and you'll only be there 2 years I'd think carefully about taking it.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
TravelZen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The main concerns you'll need to worry about are 1.) import taxes 2.) if it can handle the heat and 3.) specifications and requirements. You'll have to be your own judge as far as the heat is concerned (and I believe there are things you can to do to minimize damage, etc.). You should contact the local embassy to check on import taxes, as well as vehicle regulations. A good carrier will usually have a handle on the process if you find one that operates in the area. I know A1 Auto Transport has some experience moving motorcycles from the U.S. to Abu Dabhi & are familiar with what's involved.
TravelZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
deepstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Vintage import ?

Your bike (I think) can be imported under the "Vintage" rules.....

If older then 5 years.... Not allowed to be imported.
If older than 20 years ... allowed to be imported.

Just how this works.... I have no clue.

Personally.... I would leave your classic BM-er there, and get a 2nd hand bike in the UAE. Check out dubizzle for lots of bikes
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote