ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #2701
DonFourie
Offroad&AdventureSA
 
DonFourie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
Welcome
Cheers!
DonFourie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #2702
Firestone
RFVC Adventurer
 
Firestone's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: OKC Area
Oddometer: 548
Rentals

Hi Gents,

I will be staying in Capetown for a couple months this summer for work so I can't bring the XRL... Do you have any recomendations about who to rent a bike from while I am there to do some siteseeing on the weekends? Perhaps some places are better than others? Do you recommend I pay for a guide? Will SA honor my US driver's license for the motorcycle?

Thanks for any input.. see you soon.

I am leaving him home:

__________________
13' XR650L --> TrailTech 8" Race Light, Symtec Grip Heat, Acerbis 5.8 Tank, CycleRacks Tail Rack, Corbin & Toolbag "Seat", Wolfman/Pelican, XR's Oil Temp, Moose XRR Sprocket & Chain, 4 Yr. old mod, Dave's Mod, Acerbis handguards
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #2703
Gobby
Trust Me!
 
Gobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Hi Gents,

I will be staying in Capetown for a couple months this summer for work so I can't bring the XRL... Do you have any recomendations about who to rent a bike from while I am there to do some siteseeing on the weekends? Perhaps some places are better than others? Do you recommend I pay for a guide? Will SA honor my US driver's license for the motorcycle?

Thanks for any input.. see you soon.

I am leaving him home:
http://www.capebikerentals.com/cape-...ire-rental.htm

Hi,

I just returned from a tour in the Cape Area, and used this crowd to hire a bike - had no issues, so they get a tick from me.

No need for a guide - ask them, and they will put you in touch with their tour operator - top class stuff we got from them.

You will need to get an International Driver License - which we get from the automobile club (RAC / AA etc).
__________________
4 Wheels, move the Body, but 2 Wheels, move the Soul
............(3 wheels = cold beer and a comfy bed)............

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #2704
AlphaBetaGaga
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Hi Gents,

I will be staying in Capetown for a couple months this summer for work so I can't bring the XRL... Do you have any recomendations about who to rent a bike from while I am there to do some siteseeing on the weekends? Perhaps some places are better than others? Do you recommend I pay for a guide? Will SA honor my US driver's license for the motorcycle?

Thanks for any input.. see you soon.

I am leaving him home:
If you're in CPT for a few months, depending on the bike, rental will cost quite a mint.

What about buying a relative cheapie and selling on departure? Arguably far less hassle than renting.
AlphaBetaGaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #2705
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaGaga View Post
If you're in CPT for a few months, depending on the bike, rental will cost quite a mint.

What about buying a relative cheapie and selling on departure? Arguably far less hassle than renting.


I suggest buying rather. You will always be able to resell it again. Let me know when you are settled. Ill go show you the woods.
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #2706
garnaro
MotoBlunderer
 
garnaro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere in Africa
Oddometer: 256
where to find a cheap bike in Cape Town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
I suggest buying rather. You will always be able to resell it again. Let me know when you are settled. Ill go show you the woods.
Yo SA ADVriders! I've been riding and surfing my way down the west coast of Africa for the last 7 months from London and due to land in Cape town in about 3 weeks time - ride report is here Round Africa with a Surfboard

A friend is coming from California to join me to ride to Tanzania together and we want to find him a smaliish used bike for < $2000 USD. Maybe a Suzuki DR250 or DR350 or Honda XR250 or 400. If anyone knows a good place to look or knows someone there with one for sale, the info would be much appreciated....
__________________
bugsonmyboard.org
two wheeled wave hunting dispatches
garnaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #2707
BMW666
Dirty
 
BMW666's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 3
Pretoria

John from Pretoria and my newly aquired 2005 GS1200
Attached Images
 
BMW666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #2708
dervish
stumped
 
dervish's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Bonner Springs
Oddometer: 98
Hey All: I'm heading to Cape Town tomorrow and rented a BMW 800 from GS Adventure rental in Cape Town. I'll be dinking around on 31 May all day on some GPS tracks they've laid out for me. If there is anyone bored and wanting to run the loop or show an out of towner a few interesting things, I'd be more than happy to buy a couple of rounds of your best beer of choice.

cheers.
dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #2709
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Cape Town, South Africa /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
Oddometer: 152
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish View Post
Hey All: I'm heading to Cape Town tomorrow and rented a BMW 800 from GS Adventure rental in Cape Town. I'll be dinking around on 31 May all day on some GPS tracks they've laid out for me. If there is anyone bored and wanting to run the loop or show an out of towner a few interesting things, I'd be more than happy to buy a couple of rounds of your best beer of choice.

cheers.
Hiya Devish, I'll be more than happy to show you around Cape Town. Send me the tracks/interesting places they told you about. You wanna come to our club (BMW Motorcycle Club Cape) meeting on the 27th of May at 8pm while you here? I may be able to get a few buddies to join us on a ride.

Kevin
kevin@pixelsandbits.co.za

CandyMan_ZA screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 01:28 AM
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #2710
dervish
stumped
 
dervish's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Bonner Springs
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
Hiya Devish, I'll be more than happy to show you around Cape Town. Send me the tracks/interesting places they told you about. You wanna come to our club (BMW Motorcycle Club Cape) meeting on the 27th of May at 8pm while you here? I may be able to get a few buddies to join us on a ride.

Kevin
kevin@pixelsandbits.co.za
Thanks Kevin. I sent you an email. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #2711
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Cape Town, South Africa /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
Oddometer: 152
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish View Post
Thanks Kevin. I sent you an email. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #2712
Trogon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Kwazulu Natal South Africa
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnaro View Post
Yo SA ADVriders! I've been riding and surfing my way down the west coast of Africa for the last 7 months from London and due to land in Cape town in about 3 weeks time - ride report is here Round Africa with a Surfboard

A friend is coming from California to join me to ride to Tanzania together and we want to find him a smaliish used bike for < $2000 USD. Maybe a Suzuki DR250 or DR350 or Honda XR250 or 400. If anyone knows a good place to look or knows someone there with one for sale, the info would be much appreciated....
Howzit, I suggest Gumtree, OLX, or 'sell my bike', something like that, online.. I know those little XR's are hard to come by around here, but you should find a suitable ride for your buddy
Trogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #2713
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Cape Town, South Africa /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
The result of meeting up with Heath in Cape Town - don't ask a Kapie to show you around Cape Town

https://picasaweb.google.com/1135432...eat=directlink
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #2714
dervish
stumped
 
dervish's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Bonner Springs
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
The result of meeting up with Heath in Cape Town - don't ask a Kapie to show you around Cape Town

https://picasaweb.google.com/1135432...eat=directlink
That was a great day and one I'll remember for many years. You guys have some awesome places down there but your traffic circles are bass-ackwards. Already making plans with the missus for a trip back. Gotta find a wind tunnel for practice first. I thought kansas was windy. Cripes.
dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #2715
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Cape Town, South Africa /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish View Post
That was a great day and one I'll remember for many years. You guys have some awesome places down there but your traffic circles are bass-ackwards. Already making plans with the missus for a trip back. Gotta find a wind tunnel for practice first. I thought kansas was windy. Cripes.
If any other 'out-of-towners' need an escort around Cape Town, especially on some dirt feel free to contact me, I'l always keen for a reason to go riding
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014