I thought kansas was windy. Cripes.
At least we don't have trains that get blown off the tracks

http://www.kmbc.com/news/strong-wind...5872498#!URKbk

CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #2717
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
Just got back from your amazing country. Can't believe I've been in South Africa many times and only now got into the back country. Great great time. I'll do it again with my friends except with a different rental company.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #2718
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Just got back from your amazing country. Can't believe I've been in South Africa many times and only now got into the back country. Great great time. I'll do it again with my friends except with a different rental company.
Where did you go, what did you see? What experience did you have with the rental company?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #2719
Britome
Get Free

South African ADVrider.com members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
Where did you go, what did you see? What experience did you have with the rental company?

We headed out of Capetown toward the coast but before we got there we decided to bypass crowds and bad weather so headed north and then west again. It is hard to remember all of the places we were since the Afrikans names don't stick in my mind. The best place we did was Del Hiel "The Hell"

Awesome! Found a secluded camping spot at the bottom that was great. In fact three of us camped the whole way. We love your country. The South African Riders we met were great.

We found a company to rent from that had good bikes and would put on Heidenau Tires. Since they were the first company I found I went with them instead of someone like Karoo. I've rented a lot of bikes over the years and at every point along the way this was a high maintenance and difficult endeavor.

Just when I was ready to switch companies things seemed to get resolved so I stayed the course. Then after everything was paid, we were informed the day before that the panniers that we had aggreed to and rented weren't available. When I told him this was our agreement and we needed space for all our camping gear he kick saved a workable solution. But again, difficulty was the name of the game.

When we got back from the trip we had more surprises as we got dinged on everything imaginable financially. He charged for worn down rear brake pads. That is right... worn down rear brake pads.

I should have seen the signs. Before we embarked on our journey I found out he doesn't know much about bikes when I realized he didn't know how to read a BMW sight glass. There was only a bubble of oil in the bottom and he said that was normal. I've put 100k miles on GSes over the years and do my own maintenance. I said it wasn't normal and put more oil in for him.

Since he doesn't know anything about bikes, when we got back he took all three bikes to a BMW dealer and had them go over them with a fine tooth comb and then paid them their rate to do things that didn't need to be done. Then he charged each of us a $90 service charge. and then a $40 service charge that wasn't the BMW tech hourly rate. I have no idea what the $520 was for but since we had to prepay a $5,000 deposit via paypal we had no recourse.

I could go on and on but enough negative vibes. Bottom line is I wouldn't reccomend Africa4Adventure.com to anyone.

Britome screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 11:45 AM Reason: typos
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #2720
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Quote:
We headed out of Capetown toward the coast but before we got there we decided to bypass crowds and bad weather so headed north and then west again. It is hard to remember all of the places we were since the Afrikans names don't stick in my mind. The best place we did was Del Hiel "The Hell"
Die Hel (The Hell) is one of my favourite places in South Africa

Quote:
Awesome! Found a secluded camping spot at the bottom that was great. In fact three of us camped the whole way. We love your country. The South African Riders we met were great.
I hope you rode all the way to the end of the kloof, really beautiful down the far end.

Quote:
We found a company to rent from that had good bikes and would put on Heidenau Tires. Since they were the first company I found I went with them instead of someone like Karoo. I've rented a lot of bikes over the years and at every point along the way this was a high maintenance and difficult endeavor.
Just when I was ready to switch companies things seemed to get resolved so I stayed the course. Then after everything was paid, we were informed the day before that the panniers that we had aggreed to and rented weren't available. When I told him this was our agreement and we needed space for all our camping gear he kick saved a workable solution. But again, difficulty was the name of the game.
When we got back from the trip we had more surprises as we got dinged on everything imaginable financially. He charged for worn down rear brake pads. That is right... worn down rear brake pads.
I should have seen the signs. Before we embarked on our journey I found out he doesn't know much about bikes when I realized he didn't know how to read a BMW sight glass. There was only a bubble of oil in the bottom and he said that was normal. I've put 100k miles on GSes over the years and do my own maintenance. I said it wasn't normal and put more oil in for him.
Since he doesn't know anything about bikes, when we got back he took all three bikes to a BMW dealer and had them go over them with a fine tooth comb and then paid them their rate to do things that didn't need to be done. Then he charged each of us a $90 service charge. and then a $40 service charge that wasn't the BMW tech hourly rate. I have no idea what the $520 was for but since we had to prepay a $5,000 deposit via paypal we had no recourse.
I could go on and on but enough negative vibes. Bottom line is I wouldn't reccomend Africa4Adventure.com to anyone.
wow sorry you had a bad experience, if you want I can follow up for you whether this is what others also experienced from Africa4Adventure.com and try and get to the bottom of this? Generally the bike rental companies offer a good service, I never hear of complaints.

Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
R1200GS-WP

CandyMan_ZA screwed with this post 06-25-2014 at 06:01 AM
Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #2721
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

Oddometer: 22
Thumbs down Dirty washing anyone?

A4A - Oh Brian! The gift that keeps on giving. We’ll defend ourselves once against this twisted version of reality, then leave it at that.
The bottom line is that you three guys did ZAR 23,000 worth of damage to the bikes, and we only charged you for ZAR 17,000 doing 1500km over 5 days, and you need to take responsibility for your actions. Our company is not a charity. All our other responsible riders are very happy and of the few who have the odd mishap, and on what little damage they do, they man up to paying.

B - We headed out of Capetown toward the coast but before we got there we decided to bypass crowds and bad weather so headed north and then west again. It is hard to remember all of the places we were since the Afrikans names don't stick in my mind.

A4A - These guys claimed they were advanced off-road riders who ride 1200 GSA’s back home. We mapped a reasonably technical 5 day intermediate bordering on advanced (but all on gravel roads) route out for these guys maximising gravel to follow into the Small Karoo (Anysberg), down to Stormsriver mouth, back into the Karoo to Sutherland, via Swartberg staying over in Die Hel.

B - The best place we did was Del Hiel "The Hell". Awesome! Found a secluded camping spot at the bottom that was great. In fact three of us camped the whole way. We love your country. The South African Riders we met were great.

A4A - We do agree on some things.

B - We found a company to rent from that had good bikes and would put on Heidenau Tires. Since they were the first company I found I went with them instead of someone like Karoo. I've rented a lot of bikes over the years and at every point along the way this was a high maintenance and difficult endeavor.

A4A - If you’d have read the paper work first time, filled in the forms required and didn’t ask the same questions over and over again it may have been slightly less arduous on all of us.

B - Just when I was ready to switch companies things seemed to get resolved so I stayed the course.

A4A -Reality is we were 3 weeks away from the tour start date and we were still waiting for your deposit payment after 4 weeks (which we require a min of one month before the tour) we emailed you to say that unless we received it by the end of the week the deal was off. Suddenly the payment materialized.

B -Then after everything was paid, we were informed the day before that the panniers that we had aggreed to and rented weren't available.

A4A -This is the sort of requirements we had to work with – instead of ticking exactly what they want we get these mixed messages at different times:

No! Our panniers are free (for the second or third time) … Ok so you are bringing your own soft luggage…. Later on the form, we get this…

B - When I told him this was our agreement and we needed space for all our camping gear he kick saved a workable solution. But again, difficulty was the name of the game.

A4A -Thanks to Advrider.co.za in Paarden island not being open for 4 days before the ride started to buy an extra set of panniers, we had to run around borrowing private panniers from mates to make sure they were happy. I now know I can go to Flying Brick – note to self: Won’t make that mistake again in a hurry. My bad. Oh, wait - if deposit had been paid in time none of this would have happened – #JustSaying

B - When we got back from the trip we had more surprises as we got dinged on everything imaginable financially. He charged for worn down rear brake pads. That is right... worn down rear brake pads.

A4A -Ooooh that nose is growing again Brian! no Completely missing brake shoes, not simply worn. Also metal on metal brake disc scratched, which we didn’t charge you for – see below.

B - I should have seen the signs. Before we embarked on our journey I found out he doesn't know much about bikes when I realized he didn't know how to read a BMW sight glass. There was only a bubble of oil in the bottom and he said that was normal. I've put 100k miles on GSes over the years and do my own maintenance. I said it wasn't normal and put more oil in for him.

A4A – We said we aim to make sure the engine is warm, then level and then check and fill it to between half-way up around 50% to 70% between the marks. We had done so before he arrived so ignored his theory. We prefer to go by the BMW manual than everyones’ personal theory, especially when the bike was not level and cold. See below:

B - Since he doesn't know anything about bikes, when we got back he took all three bikes to a BMW dealer and had them go over them with a fine tooth comb and then paid them their rate to do things that didn't need to be done.

A4A – As mentioned to you, we are obliged to have most stuff fixed by BMW for the warranty in SA.

B - Then he charged each of us a $90 service charge. and then a $40 service charge that wasn't the BMW tech hourly rate. I have no idea what the $520 was for but since we had to prepay a $5,000 deposit via paypal we had no recourse.

A4A – Let me remind you what damage you did (not $520 but $441). How you managed to crack the front headlight through an intact headlight protector not quite sure? Riding at night perhaps? Another big no-no which you guys simply chose to ignore. no

B - I could go on and on but enough negative vibes. Bottom line is I wouldn't reccomend Africa4Adventure.com to anyone.

A4A – Works both ways! – We could publish all the damage you racked up, but it would only embarrass you more, so we won’t.

Warning to any Motorcycle rental companies out there before you deal with this guy! It’s hard work before, during and long after the event as you can see. There is always 1 in a 100 and you are looking at him right here.
Africa4Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #2722
Britome
Get Free

South African ADVrider.com members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
Die Hel (The Hell) is one of my favourite places in South Africa

I hope you rode all the way to the end of the kloof, really beautiful down the far end.

wow sorry you had a bad experience, if you want I can follow up for you whether this is what others also experienced from Africa4Adventure.com and try and get to the bottom of this? Generally the bike rental companies offer a good service, I never hear of complaints.

Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
R1200GS-WP

Thanx, Kevin. I found out afterwards that we were the 13th rental in his history. I don't know what others feedback is. I don't know if there is anything else to "get to the bottom of." We have had endless communications with him. If someone stumbles on this thread and it helps them to make a better choice, so be it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #2723
Britome
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa4Adventure View Post
A4A - Oh Brian! The gift that keeps on giving. We’ll defend ourselves once against this twisted version of reality, then leave it at that.

The bottom line is that you three guys did ZAR 23,000 worth of damage to the bikes, and we only charged you for ZAR 17,000 doing 1500km over 5 days, and you need to take responsibility for your actions. Our company is not a charity. All our other responsible riders are very happy and of the few who have the odd mishap, and on what little damage they do, they man up to paying.

B - We headed out of Capetown toward the coast but before we got there we decided to bypass crowds and bad weather so headed north and then west again. It is hard to remember all of the places we were since the Afrikans names don't stick in my mind.

A4A - These guys claimed they were advanced off-road riders who ride 1200 GSA’s back home. We mapped a reasonably technical 5 day intermediate bordering on advanced (but all on gravel roads) route out for these guys maximising gravel to follow into the Small Karoo (Anysberg), down to Stormsriver mouth, back into the Karoo to Sutherland, via Swartberg staying over in Die Hel.

B - The best place we did was Del Hiel "The Hell". Awesome! Found a secluded camping spot at the bottom that was great. In fact three of us camped the whole way. We love your country. The South African Riders we met were great.

A4A - We do agree on some things.

B - We found a company to rent from that had good bikes and would put on Heidenau Tires. Since they were the first company I found I went with them instead of someone like Karoo. I've rented a lot of bikes over the years and at every point along the way this was a high maintenance and difficult endeavor.

A4A - If you’d have read the paper work first time, filled in the forms required and didn’t ask the same questions over and over again it may have been slightly less arduous on all of us.

B - Just when I was ready to switch companies things seemed to get resolved so I stayed the course.

A4A -Reality is we were 3 weeks away from the tour start date and we were still waiting for your deposit payment after 4 weeks (which we require a min of one month before the tour) we emailed you to say that unless we received it by the end of the week the deal was off. Suddenly the payment materialized.

B -Then after everything was paid, we were informed the day before that the panniers that we had aggreed to and rented weren't available.

A4A -This is the sort of requirements we had to work with – instead of ticking exactly what they want we get these mixed messages at different times:

No! Our panniers are free (for the second or third time) … Ok so you are bringing your own soft luggage…. Later on the form, we get this…

B - When I told him this was our agreement and we needed space for all our camping gear he kick saved a workable solution. But again, difficulty was the name of the game.

A4A -Thanks to Advrider.co.za in Paarden island not being open for 4 days before the ride started to buy an extra set of panniers, we had to run around borrowing private panniers from mates to make sure they were happy. I now know I can go to Flying Brick – note to self: Won’t make that mistake again in a hurry. My bad. Oh, wait - if deposit had been paid in time none of this would have happened – #JustSaying

B - When we got back from the trip we had more surprises as we got dinged on everything imaginable financially. He charged for worn down rear brake pads. That is right... worn down rear brake pads.

A4A -Ooooh that nose is growing again Brian! no Completely missing brake shoes, not simply worn. Also metal on metal brake disc scratched, which we didn’t charge you for – see below.

B - I should have seen the signs. Before we embarked on our journey I found out he doesn't know much about bikes when I realized he didn't know how to read a BMW sight glass. There was only a bubble of oil in the bottom and he said that was normal. I've put 100k miles on GSes over the years and do my own maintenance. I said it wasn't normal and put more oil in for him.

A4A – We said we aim to make sure the engine is warm, then level and then check and fill it to between half-way up around 50% to 70% between the marks. We had done so before he arrived so ignored his theory. We prefer to go by the BMW manual than everyones’ personal theory, especially when the bike was not level and cold. See below:

B - Since he doesn't know anything about bikes, when we got back he took all three bikes to a BMW dealer and had them go over them with a fine tooth comb and then paid them their rate to do things that didn't need to be done.

A4A – As mentioned to you, we are obliged to have most stuff fixed by BMW for the warranty in SA.

B - Then he charged each of us a $90 service charge. and then a $40 service charge that wasn't the BMW tech hourly rate. I have no idea what the $520 was for but since we had to prepay a $5,000 deposit via paypal we had no recourse.

A4A – Let me remind you what damage you did (not $520 but $441). How you managed to crack the front headlight through an intact headlight protector not quite sure? Riding at night perhaps? Another big no-no which you guys simply chose to ignore. no

B - I could go on and on but enough negative vibes. Bottom line is I wouldn't reccomend Africa4Adventure.com to anyone.

A4A – Works both ways! – We could publish all the damage you racked up, but it would only embarrass you more, so we won’t.

Warning to any Motorcycle rental companies out there before you deal with this guy! It’s hard work before, during and long after the event as you can see. There is always 1 in a 100 and you are looking at him right here.

This will be my last post on this, Charles. We paid all our damages to get the bikes back to original condition. It was all the other complications and unnecessary charges that left a bad taste in our mouths. I just want to give other potential renters a broader knowledge base before they rent.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #2724
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Quote:
Thanx, Kevin. I found out afterwards that we were the 13th rental in his history. I don't know what others feedback is. I don't know if there is anything else to "get to the bottom of." We have had endless communications with him. If someone stumbles on this thread and it helps them to make a better choice, so be it.
Good clear well backed up response Charles
Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #2725
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Hi South Africa,

Great thread! I just found it and I see many hours of reading ahead.

I bought a plane ticket to Johannesburg for a ten day trip over Christmas to vist your beautiful part of the world.

I'll be travelling by myself with a plan to rent a bike to get me to my hotel out in the wilds somewhere, then have over the ten days to tool around. I'll have one backpacke.

I assume a motorcyce would be cheaper and more fun than a car.

I ride a '82 Yamaha XT550 and a '07 BMW Dakar. I'd like to rent a dual sport with knobbies as that's what I'f always used.

More questions to come I am sure. The usual ones. Where to rent? How much I can expect to pay? Where to go?

Anyways, Cheers
Futura
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #2726
Firestone
RFVC Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Visitor here

I have been in Capetown for a couple of weeks, last weekend I rode with a group of collegues on some rented Harley's and rode down to Cape Point. That was fun, but I am really a dual sport rider and wonder if anyone here might like to meet up for a day trip one sunday. I plan to be here for 4-5 more weekends. I don't have a car so getting a rental from one of the local venues may require hiring a delivery each way unless someone would like to help out and pick me up before the ride.

I have ridden 17,000 km the past 9 months on my XR650L Honda back in the states and I am spoiling to try out the 660 Tenere...

PM me if anyone is interested in a Sunday day trip.. I'm only off on Sundays.
13' XR650L --> TrailTech 8" Race Light, Symtec Grip Heat, Acerbis 5.8 Tank, CycleRacks Tail Rack, Corbin & Toolbag "Seat", Wolfman/Pelican, XR's Oil Temp, Moose XRR Sprocket & Chain, 4 Yr. old mod, Dave's Mod, Acerbis handguards
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #2727
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura View Post
Hi South Africa,

Great thread! I just found it and I see many hours of reading ahead.

I bought a plane ticket to Johannesburg for a ten day trip over Christmas to vist your beautiful part of the world.

I'll be travelling by myself with a plan to rent a bike to get me to my hotel out in the wilds somewhere, then have over the ten days to tool around. I'll have one backpacke.

I assume a motorcyce would be cheaper and more fun than a car.

I ride a '82 Yamaha XT550 and a '07 BMW Dakar. I'd like to rent a dual sport with knobbies as that's what I'f always used.

More questions to come I am sure. The usual ones. Where to rent? How much I can expect to pay? Where to go?

Anyways, Cheers
Futura
Sadly, renting a motocycle is going to run way more expesnive that a car.... its the way it is here..i guess due to insurance /supply/demand etc....let me know ehn here ...beer is always available.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #2728
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I have been in Capetown for a couple of weeks, last weekend I rode with a group of collegues on some rented Harley's and rode down to Cape Point. That was fun, but I am really a dual sport rider and wonder if anyone here might like to meet up for a day trip one sunday. I plan to be here for 4-5 more weekends. I don't have a car so getting a rental from one of the local venues may require hiring a delivery each way unless someone would like to help out and pick me up before the ride.

I have ridden 17,000 km the past 9 months on my XR650L Honda back in the states and I am spoiling to try out the 660 Tenere...

PM me if anyone is interested in a Sunday day trip.. I'm only off on Sundays.
Not sure you will find a Tenere660 to rent in ZA to be honest.

Join the Wilddogs forum , its a ZA based Forum like ADVrider catering for dual sport ridders.... hellovsa helpful bunch of ppl and loads situated in cape town ,they will point you in the right direction

cheers
Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #2729
ZS6AF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Mpumalanga Nelspruit ofroad riding

Every one that want to do some serious difficult long rides are most welcome to contact me . We a group of serious riders , we dont stop for smoke brakes , sorry.

Big Micheal got a 300km route for u via matsulu, numbi , Whiteriver and back to the old Airport. Whole day workout.

I take u on the Route to malelaan via the Gorge , kaalrug and LowsCreek and back to Nespruit.75 km there , serious hard riding in 1h20 minutes , then a more relaxed ride back

Lots of other lovely routes like the Koppie towards Kaapse Hoop with a long very difficult stoney uphill section. Then towards Ngondwana , filling station and back home.

All bikes welcome , except slow ones.

Johan Visagie
WHATSUUUUUUP 083 234 7128
ZS6AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #2730
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
All bikes welcome , except slow ones.

Slow one

https://plus.google.com/116172590825...90825728152094