User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 AM   #61
Noodles
Wrecker

Oddometer: 50
Hey Guys
I'm based in durbs at the mo, moving up to jhb soon. Will be buying a Dakar when I'm there. I'm new to off-road, been riding street bikes for 8 years. Anyone in jhb wanna show me some beginner trails?
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:55 AM   #62
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
Hey Guys
I'm based in durbs at the mo, moving up to jhb soon. Will be buying a Dakar when I'm there. I'm new to off-road, been riding street bikes for 8 years. Anyone in jhb wanna show me some beginner trails?
When u here in civilization and gotten bike send me a pm and we make a plan, dont know to many good trails out here in gauteng but we can do some road rides with the odd trail ... where in jhb u going to be based?

cheers
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 AM   #63
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruebane
When u here in civilization and gotten bike send me a pm and we make a plan, dont know to many good trails out here in gauteng but we can do some road rides with the odd trail ... where in jhb u going to be based?

cheers
Yech - civilisation - lived in Joeys for over 20 years, best thing about it is the road leading out. Nothing personal. When I had a DT50 12 years ago a lightie (church donated it to me to fix and ride, it was so stuffed there was clay in the carbs), I rode around a lot (probably cost me R5 for 500k's) and I found lots of fun areas past Northriding and going into Muldersdrift. And when you boys have had fun with the paved dirt, then come down to the Cape yum yum

On that note, I was thinking of doing a big trip from Cape Town to NorthZambia or even Malawi and back. Anybody interested? ps: not for the feint hearted, as anyone who has ever been up there can testify.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #64
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Saturday Snow in Ceres.

Hey guys and gurls, heres an email I have just sent out to my mates. If you want to come, mail me or call me or pm me. Lord, send smoke signals if you have to. Cheers, George

Hi guys,

with the chat in the office this morning, and checking the nuusblad, theres a chance that it may snow in the Matroosberg Friday night. This leaves us with a rare opportunity to donner round in the snow with friends and family in Ceres come Saturday morning and afternoon.

This shouldnt be a technical ride at all, unless you dont have a bike - ahem - so let me know your interest. Wives and kids and girlfriends and boyfriends (for Craig) can come along in cars or 4x4's or pillion style.

If youre in, let me know. Sommer gou gou.

Cheers,

George E
+27 (0)72 393 3345
Old 05-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #65
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
Yech - civilisation - lived in Joeys for over 20 years, best thing about it is the road leading out. Nothing personal. When I had a DT50 12 years ago a lightie (church donated it to me to fix and ride, it was so stuffed there was clay in the carbs), I rode around a lot (probably cost me R5 for 500k's) and I found lots of fun areas past Northriding and going into Muldersdrift. And when you boys have had fun with the paved dirt, then come down to the Cape yum yum

On that note, I was thinking of doing a big trip from Cape Town to NorthZambia or even Malawi and back. Anybody interested? ps: not for the feint hearted, as anyone who has ever been up there can testify.
Hey boet ,,when were u last in jhb,,northriding an muldersdrift is fast approaching townhouse slums or squatter camp areas.. although there be some good trails out there...also a 50 and a 1000 gonna be a lil different out them roads.

cheers

onto your trip , when do u plan doing this ? what level of expertise is needed? i been to moz and that was no laughing matter ,, the "roads" (did i say roads i meant frigging sand traps) there were way over my level of expertise and the strom did not like em to much...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #66
Noodles
Wrecker

Oddometer: 50
Thanks Gruebane. I'm going to Uganda on Sunday, will be back on 25 July. Then I gotta pack up all my crap and move up to jhb. Don't know where I'll settle, my offices are in Hyde Park but I'm thinking of buying a house in Krugersdorp. I've still got to sell my house here. Can't wait to get another bike, its been too long.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:47 AM   #67
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruebane
Hey boet ,,when were u last in jhb,,northriding an muldersdrift is fast approaching townhouse slums or squatter camp areas.. although there be some good trails out there...also a 50 and a 1000 gonna be a lil different out them roads.

cheers

onto your trip , when do u plan doing this ? what level of expertise is needed? i been to moz and that was no laughing matter ,, the "roads" (did i say roads i meant frigging sand traps) there were way over my level of expertise and the strom did not like em to much...
Hey G,

Well yes, the bikes will be different - a 1000 has a zillion more % power and thus fun ability. To me anyhow. Geez, I didnt know Joeys has gone that way. Sorry man. Makes me happier to be where I am then - again.

On the trip, its a lose idea at present, but I'd like to make it as widely accesible as possible, but with the ability to include some rough and tough stuff. Quite frankly, just riding on the tar will be a challenge, as there are hugemongous potholes to deal with. Add in that you will have to bring your own spares and gear and etc, it could be really awesome.

I used to do mission work up there, so I'd like to add in a trip or two on the jetboat we used to go up the Zambezi. Even been on a Chevy 350 V8 powered aluminium hulled jet boat that can go up rapids? And travel in around 2-3 foot of water? Its awesome. I am thinking some good tiger fishing and perhaps if there are pesky crocs that are killing the locals, we can do some croc hunting too. So I am looking for a really fun time.

Sand is always a challenge and requires practice. I learnt recently that to ride a big old AdvGS in the sand is easier than my piddly Dakar, which came as a big surprise to all of us. Now, I recruit all my buddy riders to come with me weekly odd to ride for an hour or two in sand to improve. It helps hugely and is always interesting to see the guys who dont come with, then struggle after a month or two. They used to lead the pack and now they are hanging off the back badly. So practice with your Vstrom mate, I'd love to see it perform.

On that note, you have maybe inspired me to go for a test ride on the Wee. Let you know my thoughts if I do go.

Cheers
Old 05-12-2005, 03:51 AM   #68
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Hey guys, check out my new Hell report - under The Hell by Maverick in the Ride Reports section. MacDuff, I will shortly finish the George trip, that Hell trip took some time yesterday so I is exhausted.

Cheers!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #69
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Thanks Gruebane. I'm going to Uganda on Sunday, will be back on 25 July. Then I gotta pack up all my crap and move up to jhb. Don't know where I'll settle, my offices are in Hyde Park but I'm thinking of buying a house in Krugersdorp. I've still got to sell my house here. Can't wait to get another bike, its been too long.
Cool ,when you sorted we make a plan. Good luck in Uganda bud , i spent time in Uganda, Rwanda and Nigeria at previous job ... all i can say is rather you than me .... i dont think i could be paid enough to go back
Old 05-13-2005, 05:53 AM   #70
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
Hey G,

On that note, you have maybe inspired me to go for a test ride on the Wee. Let you know my thoughts if I do go.

Cheers
I think you will end up buying it,,had it been available when i bought my strom i would of gone for the wee... have test ridden one and also spoke a lot to howie after his test for bike sa and these are great scoots. will run with the 1100/1150 GS's all day on tar and then being 60 odd kg's lighter will give it stick on the dirt , provided it gets modified slightly to make it more dirt able. some crash gaurds are a must on radiator and oil cooler. maybe the full bash plate available. thats pretty much what i have done with my strom , crash bars protective touratech shields for radiator an oil cooler and so far sustained a 60 km/h crash in sand an everything worked.

Post here when you have clearer details of the trip ...only thing that worries me (mebbe i am not a true adventurer) is having a big spill in middle of nowhere and break a limb or bike ,,then one is proverbially fucked here in africa

cheers
Old 05-13-2005, 06:15 AM   #71
LuckyStriker
Lottery Loser

Oddometer: 194
Don’t want to seem stupid but WTF is a Wee?

Scottish talk for a small bike?? “Wotz dah wee bike doing under yer kilt?”
I reread the posts but I don’t know what you guys are on about
LuckyStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #72
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
Pissed Johannesburg versus Uganda

Quote:
As a "long term" Jo,burg resident, (sent here for a 1 year contract in 1981) the place has its ups and downs.
There are some reasonable off road trips (not comparable to The Hell etc) good for a beginner though.
I am out weekends on a 1999 1150GS soft roads generally as the suspension bottoms too often due to my portly dimensions, I am based in Rivonia if you want to go for a run one weekend.

I have several buddies who go up to Uganda (Entebbe) regularly as chopper mechanics etc.

Welshman.
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:26 AM   #73
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStriker
Don’t want to seem stupid but WTF is a Wee?

Scottish talk for a small bike?? “Wotz dah wee bike doing under yer kilt?”
I reread the posts but I don’t know what you guys are on about
Wee = Wee strom ,the DL650 Vstrom

cheers
Old 05-14-2005, 01:29 AM   #74
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
As a "long term" Jo,burg resident, (sent here for a 1 year contract in 1981) the place has its ups and downs.
There are some reasonable off road trips (not comparable to The Hell etc) good for a beginner though.
I am out weekends on a 1999 1150GS soft roads generally as the suspension bottoms too often due to my portly dimensions, I am based in Rivonia if you want to go for a run one weekend.

I have several buddies who go up to Uganda (Entebbe) regularly as chopper mechanics etc.

Welshman.
Sounds good to me , a sunday morning ride or something like that. Next time we go out ( btw i ride with the infamous Pielkoppe bike gang ) and we do couple of off road excursions a year i will let u know. would be great to have additional okes with us on these rides. WE normally ride railway service roads in the balfour/standerton/memel/heidelberg areas.

cheers
Old 05-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #75
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

To all local riders - does anyone want to do the intermediate course this coming weekend with old Jan du Toit at Klipbokkop? If anyone doesnt know, Jan is the Chief Training Instructor for BMW motorbaaks.

Theres a big group going, but I thought I would add some more if theres interest. R1650 for the whole weekend, everythings included inc upscale accomodation, chow, blah blah.