Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #76
LuckyStriker
Lottery Loser

Oddometer: 194
Are you sure you got the dates right? The following has been copied and pasted from the BMW Motorrad Website:

Where:
Western Cape: Klipbokkop Mountain Resort.
Mpumalanga: Country Trax.
Eastern Cape: Mountain Pastures.

When:
Western Cape: 8 - 10 April, 26 - 28 August, 21 - 23 October
Mpumalanga: 14 - 16 January, 28 - 30 January, 11 - 13 February, 18 - 20 February (fully booked), 11 - 13 March, 1 - 3 April, 6 - 8 May, 13 - 15 May, 3 - 5 June (GS weekend), 10 - 12 June, 8 - 10 July, 5 - 7 August, 2 - 4 September, 9 - 11 September, 14 - 16 October, 11 - 13 November, 2 - 4 December, 9 - 11 December (GS weekend)
Eastern Cape: 4 - 6 March, 20 - 22 May, 12 - 14 August, 4 - 6 November
LuckyStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #77
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Pissed Pielkoppe Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruebane
Sounds good to me , a sunday morning ride or something like that. Next time we go out ( btw i ride with the infamous Pielkoppe bike gang ) and we do couple of off road excursions a year i will let u know. would be great to have additional okes with us on these rides. WE normally ride railway service roads in the balfour/standerton/memel/heidelberg areas.

cheers
I seem to remember the infamous Pielkoppe gang being mentioned in one of Howies reports on a trip to Memel, I finished up close to Memel recently, got horribly lost on my way to Newcastle (missed the Vrede turn off) so from just before Harrismith I went over the dirt roads and successfully wiped off the oxygen sensor from my MD,s Mercedes so 8 Grand later and still arrived an hour late for my meeting.
I am moderately familiar with the balfour, standerton, heidelberg areas as we have a factory in the metropolis of Nigel and I spent 5 years looking after a contract at Majuba near Amersfoort for my sins. But I have never ridden the railway service roads as I do not like venturing too far off road alone.
Where are you based, I am in the Rivonia area.

cheers
Welshman
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:26 AM   #78
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
I seem to remember the infamous Pielkoppe gang being mentioned in one of Howies reports on a trip to Memel, I finished up close to Memel recently, got horribly lost on my way to Newcastle (missed the Vrede turn off) so from just before Harrismith I went over the dirt roads and successfully wiped off the oxygen sensor from my MD,s Mercedes so 8 Grand later and still arrived an hour late for my meeting.
I am moderately familiar with the balfour, standerton, heidelberg areas as we have a factory in the metropolis of Nigel and I spent 5 years looking after a contract at Majuba near Amersfoort for my sins. But I have never ridden the railway service roads as I do not like venturing too far off road alone.
Where are you based, I am in the Rivonia area.

cheers
Welshman
Ahh Howie , the nemesis of the Pielkoppe. Howie as is Charley Cooper, are good mates of the koppe even though they both ugly as sin. I am out in edenvale area. Most of the railway service roads are in goodish condition so its good day's riding. Lots of farm roads in the area as well which are in good condition as well. Once you sorted ,we make a plan. Alternatively meet us at the Keg just off the linksfield turnoff on fridays after work , we there most fridays from 5 or so.

I enjoy memel , one of the koppe owns a house there so we go there regurlarly , next planned trip is the 16th june ,take 17th off and have a long weekend riding in great scenic surroundings an check out the micro breweries in the area.

cheers
Old 05-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #79
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Pissed Keg and Beagle

Quote:
Ahh Howie , the nemesis of the Pielkoppe. Howie as is Charley Cooper, are good mates of the koppe even though they both ugly as sin. I am out in edenvale area. Most of the railway service roads are in goodish condition so its good day's riding. Lots of farm roads in the area as well which are in good condition as well. Once you sorted ,we make a plan. Alternatively meet us at the Keg just off the linksfield turnoff on fridays after work , we there most fridays from 5 or so.

I enjoy memel , one of the koppe owns a house there so we go there regurlarly , next planned trip is the 16th june ,take 17th off and have a long weekend riding in great scenic surroundings an check out the micro breweries in the area.

cheers
The pub is the Keg and Beagle if my memory serves me correctly (I used to live in Edenglen) I look forward to a beer with you guys on Friday, typically bad timing the 16th of June is out for me, I am off with some other 4x4 hooligans to the Ockavango that morning, only back on the 25th.

Welshman
Old 05-17-2005, 04:13 AM   #80
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
The pub is the Keg and Beagle if my memory serves me correctly (I used to live in Edenglen) I look forward to a beer with you guys on Friday, typically bad timing the 16th of June is out for me, I am off with some other 4x4 hooligans to the Ockavango that morning, only back on the 25th.

Welshman
Keg an Beagle it is ... i live in edenglen so its a small world. We there most fridays from about 5 ish ... will be there this fridya ,i normmally get there about 5:30 or so.. more n welcome you are (practising my yoda speech i am for tomorrow i see the latest Lucas offering )

cheers
Old 05-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #81
Noodles
Wrecker

Oddometer: 50
Taxis in Uganda
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 AM   #82
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStriker
Are you sure you got the dates right? The following has been copied and pasted from the BMW Motorrad Website:

Where:
Western Cape: Klipbokkop Mountain Resort.
Mpumalanga: Country Trax.
Eastern Cape: Mountain Pastures.

When:
Western Cape: 8 - 10 April, 26 - 28 August, 21 - 23 October
Mpumalanga: 14 - 16 January, 28 - 30 January, 11 - 13 February, 18 - 20 February (fully booked), 11 - 13 March, 1 - 3 April, 6 - 8 May, 13 - 15 May, 3 - 5 June (GS weekend), 10 - 12 June, 8 - 10 July, 5 - 7 August, 2 - 4 September, 9 - 11 September, 14 - 16 October, 11 - 13 November, 2 - 4 December, 9 - 11 December (GS weekend)
Eastern Cape: 4 - 6 March, 20 - 22 May, 12 - 14 August, 4 - 6 November
ermmmmmm JA

unless Jan is having us on, and is going to run away with our buxks, its this weekend.

Uniondale - hier kom ons broer VRYDAG
Old 05-17-2005, 04:41 AM   #83
Noodles
Wrecker

Hey guys I need your opinion. I'm buying a new dual purpose bike. Should I get a XT660 or F650 Dakar? Yamaha has cheaper parts and is available everywhere but I really like the BM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:52 AM   #84
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
Taxis in Uganda
does the ride come with a sweaty old used and cracked helmet?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #85
Noodles
Wrecker

No, hardly any of them know what a helmet is. I saw a woman sitting side-saddle on the back of one with her shopping and a new born in her lap. The guy was weaving through traffic. My driver knocked one scooter and the guy didn't seem to mind. It's really weird. The average speed of traffic is about 25kph
Old 05-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #86
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Pissed ,Koppe

Quote:
Keg an Beagle it is ... i live in edenglen so its a small world. We there most fridays from about 5 ish ... will be there this fridya ,i normmally get there about 5:30 or so.. more n welcome you are (practising my yoda speech i am for tomorrow i see the latest Lucas offering )

cheers
Is it the same Koppe gang as per the BMW site today? We also had our Jan lecture on drinking on the first night and got broken on the second night in the jackuzzi.
Great weekend though.

Welshman
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 AM   #87
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Is it the same Koppe gang as per the BMW site today? We also had our Jan lecture on drinking on the first night and got broken on the second night in the jackuzzi.
Great weekend though.

Welshman
Yip ,, cept i was not there...

You surf a lot it seems
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 AM   #88
Gruebane OP
Pawn Star

Quote:
Hey guys I need your opinion. I'm buying a new dual purpose bike. Should I get a XT660 or F650 Dakar? Yamaha has cheaper parts and is available everywhere but I really like the BM.
Look at the DL650 as well...good price,great vooma and so so offroad ability... a few mods an u got a reasonable dirt road bike ..

Out of the 2 u mention i would go with the F650 ... more road riding ability ,,but if you focussed on dirt then the xt has to be it...

best to ride em boeth
Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #89
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
IMNHO, it really depends what you want it for? The Dak has nice appeal, people - read - guys - come up to me all the time, saying man is that your bike, its sweet and I really envy you and blah blah. Never happened to me when I rode a XR600 - although I thought that bike was sweet too.

The Yam and parts must be cheaper - Damn - BM is expensive and actually over the top rip your ring out. But when it comes to quality, I have to admit that the BM wins hands down. Its such a quality piece of machinery. A bit soft sometimes - its going to get scratched and lose value.

The engine is literally unbreakable, and its got superb ground clearance. And of course, as a city commuter cum traffic beater, wot a pleasure. Seat comfortable for 800 km days on rough dirt, and the only thing is that it cant keep up comfortably with the 1150's or 1200's.

Funny enough, the Africa Twin being only 100cc bigger absolutely leaves the Dak behind in terms of speed and pace. But I usually leave them all behind when it comes to the technical slower stuff, so no worries.

At a 190kg, its no lightweight and I often wish mine had more power. In that regard, the KTM 640 has a much bigger tank, has more power and is around 50kg's lighter. Thats a stack. But it also has cons, one is that it vibrates to pieces, while the Dak is relatively smooth. Wind buffeting on the Dak is right up there, but the older versions (I recommend getting a 2nd hand one if youre going offroad) have a better screen than the 2004 models plus.

Anymore, I am happy to answer, as I have a bit of time, and ride my Dakar everyday. Cheers! - ps: the luggage. The BMW cases are SOFT - and will break on any sort of impact. Get used to that idea. And theyre expensiveeee
Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #90
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

ps: on second thought, I have had a lot of girls also say - GIVE ME A RIDE - but I wasnt sure what they were saying.......