Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thank you so much bud. I really appreciate it. I will send a pm. Cheers ! S
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
2muchtime
Adventurer

It looks as this rebuilt is going to be a little more involved....Now I need to decide which way to go about the piston and cylinder. I don't like the wear in the cylinder sleeve. It appears minimal and even but there is a slight "step" in the cylinder wall. Piston appears to be in good shape. My preference is to stay stock but at this point the $$$ option will be the deciding factor. Trying to decide between a new piston and cylinder bore to 1st over or a new stock sleeve using the same piston. Any thoughts ? 1983 XR500 Cheers !
Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
2muchtime
Adventurer

Paging ghost_mutant.....
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 701
Sorry bro, I was out doing something important today..........riding in the mountains

Where is the step in the cylinder? I'm gonna guess its at the top. How big is this slight step? Any other indications of wear on the side of the piston?

Also, what is your cylinder to piston clearance? I have not had good luck with the regular telescoping gauges to measure the cylinder bore, they always compress a tad upon taking them out to measure with the calipers. The best way to estimate the cylinder to piston clearance in my garage without a bore gauge, is to put the piston in upside down and carefully use feeler gauges to measure clearance directly between the top of the cylinder and the piston skirt. Don't jam the feeler gauge in there

As far as getting Honda pistons, that will be tough. There are aftermarket pistons still available and I see them on ebay quite frequently for the 83/4 XR500s. Prices are between $140-180 for the new set which includes rings. The Honda piston with rings will cost about the same amount (or more) if you can find the piston. Rings do not appear to be a problem yet. Since I've never used the aftermarket pistons, I can't comment on their performance. Its been reported here by others that the advertized compression ratios with the aftermarket pistons are on the high side. Actual compression ratios are lower, which would be good if you are running on pump gas.

I suppose I should get some spares since I'm going to be riding this bike for a few more years.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
2muchtime
Adventurer

Ha ha !!! Good one. I am glad that you are there having fun bud. I will go ahead with some measurements tomorrow and report back. Piston is in pretty good shape but i think going to a 1st over right now is the best course of action, I will start looking for a piston. Cheers !
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Hi guys!
It happened, XR500 has its own direction.

This is my topic of restoration XR500r 84 in Russia -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680940
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #22
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Wink xr beast

..hi guys-

this is my new project- 1982 xr 500

love this old thumpers- raced/drive a 94 xr 600 for bout 5 years and never stopped loving them xrs !!!

got this 500 for a good price- now wonna get this beast running!!!!

got new fuel, lines, new sparkplug(works)- oil is ok, airfilter ok- but the beast WANT run....!!! :-/

theres a 38 delorto mounted!!?? dont know why- maybe theres the problem- dont know if or how it works!!- theres some open hole on the left side!? and one hole is stuffed with?? see picture- maybe theres the problem???

HELP- anybody knows this carburator?????

greet peter/vienna/europe
Attached Images

http://www.youtube.com/user/izom
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #23
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

thers the carburator pic with he holes in side!?
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #24
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Is the hole threaded? If it is, that may be where the idle adjustment screw goes.
Looks like the air/fuel mixture screw is covered with muck. Have you had this carb apart to see if it's clean or cruddy inside?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I do still have my xr500 but have no updates with it yet. I'm working overtime at my job, school and working on fixing tye xr. The only free time I have is about 5 hours on Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday.

Ok back to the bike... The camping trip we took it on it worked amazing. But....... The rings settled and she stared smoking. So now the bike needs a new cam chain, rings, piston, sleeve and wrist arm pin. I have been searching xr'sonly and even called Honda and couldn't find specific parts.

Anybody know where to buy these parts? I'm also looking to bore it out. I need to give it some power to keep up with all the other bikes runnin I'm my group. What would my best choice be?

For reference here are the bikes in my group
1993 klx650
1997 xr600
2005 540exc
2001 525exc
2001 xr650l
1993 crf450
2001 montesa cota
1995 klx300
2003 xr650r
And
1984 xr500r.
So my bike is pretty low on the food chain. Any help would be good. Thanks guys!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #26
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
lilsmokey, I bought a new eBay HONDA XR500 WISECO CYLINDER SLEEVE and WISECO PISTON KIT STD BORE. but I did not get Parcel. Parcel moves very slowly.
I've seen OEM PARTS HONDA RING SET - http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...ssemblies/4749 or http://www.westernhonda.com.
Here's a rare part for a bicycle - Rod Crankshaft: http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/H...rrillo-Con-Rod
But it is very expensive
I hope this can help.
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #27
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

I don't think I can help you guys out in the performance modification area. I went the opposite direction with my XR500R rebuilds and ditched the loud performance mufflers that came with my bikes in favor of stock cans (with inserts) from ebay. I respect my neighbors and I want them to respect me back.

I did measure the Cobra exhaust that came with my 84 using a digital sound level, dB meter. This measurement confirmed what I already knew, the Cobra is not legal for public lands in my state. I'd like to see a measurement from a RFVC bike equipped with the FMF exhaust. Perhaps that's the ticket?

I don't think you can make these bikes more powerful unless you also make them too loud.

I must be getting old as I've seen too many trail closures and I think its mostly due to noise. Read this:
http://rampartrange.org/pages/rampar...p#Sound_Limits

Other than some similar airbox mods featured in the 83 XR5 review article I'm not planning on changing anything on my bike to make more power:
http://www.4strokes.com/articles/honda/cwxr350_500/

As it stands now with the fresh top ends, I can't see any need for more power. My track days are way behind me and I have more than enough power now to get myself over any trail obstacles on the stuff I like to ride. What I now need is range, making my bikes less fuel efficient than they currently are is a step backwards.

This is all easy for me to say as I only weigh 165, so the 500 is plenty to haul my light frame up the mountain.

If you really want to beat other bikes in a race, then I would suggest that a more modern bike would do the job better

On the other hand, if you want a bike that is at the great intersection between usable power, strength, reliability, and efficiency; then the XR500 is a strong contender in my opinion. Its too bad that some parts are now longer available new from Honda (piston, cam, connecting rod). Which is the only real knock against owning my bikes.

BTW, I love the dual carbs. Pumper not needed with this setup
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

...brucifer-
Quote:
Is the hole threaded? If it is, that may be where the idle adjustment screw goes.
Looks like the air/fuel mixture screw is covered with muck. Have you had this carb apart to see if it's clean or cruddy inside?
...not now- didnt wanna dismount the thing.

the 2 screws are on the other (right)side of the carburator- so as i read some about this dellorto- this seems ok as u can use this carb for left and right cylinders (guzzi, bmw) so one side is just closed- even not pretty in my case :-/

hmm take this sucker apart on sunday clean it and hope to bring the beast alive after that.....

if not ?? maybe should i watch out for an original carb?? or....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #29
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Ok well i dont have the money, time or pacience to do another rebuild on the XR5. So it is for sale again. $550 today and its yours! (Ghost mutant this would be a great project/parts bike for you to add to your collection) Here is the info again... Just went trough a top end rebuild.
Cobra exhaust
Pro taper bars
Bar risers
Skid plate
Original tool (Fender) Bag
Current 2011-2012 registration
Really good set of tires. About 75% back and 65% front.
Just ordered new air filter
All original plastics. Seat has 3 really small holes in it but it is the original seat. Plastics are in good condition.
New oil filter just installed
I have it jetted for a higher altitude so if you test drive it don't worry about it bogging down at high RPM. Fresh cleaned and rebuilt carbs. Needs piston rings and cam chain.

For our last camping trip we took it up into Leadville, CO. It had no problem going up to the top of MT. ZION, East Tennessee pass, and going all the way up to SKI COOPER. If you have ridden there you know it is not a easy task.

On the trails in tight woods it could keep up with my brothers 93 KLX650 and my dads 97 XR600R but on straight aways it looses....... Then again it is a 500. I am about 6ft and 165 LBS and I have no trouble racing around corners and bouncing trough the woods.

It is a great bike but i just dont have the time or money for it.

If interested email me TBDechant@gmail.com or leave a comment.

Thanks guys
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

I'm afraid I've got too many motorcycles and parts in the garage right now, if I were to bring home yet another bike, I think my wife would go

I brought home my old ride when I made the mountain trip earlier this week, so there is three bikes in the garage at the moment. Its a 1977 IT400:

Considering it has been under a tarp outside for the last decade, its in surprisingly good shape. I was going to part it out, but now I'm thinking about another restoration.

And then there is my kids. They are finally old enough to want bikes of their own now. Not sure yet how I'm going to manage that. Need more vacation time.............and more mountain riding on the XR500!