Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
You can never have enough bikes ....
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Ok well seeing as I have small but steady income as of now I have decided to rebuild the XR500 completely. New gaskets, rings, cam chain, valve seals and valves. Then somewhere on down the line strip the frame. Sandblast and repaint it. Redo all the wiring. Rebuild front fords and monoshock. Repaint the plastics. Give it new tires, sprockets, chain and hand guards.

The piston kit im looking at is the standard compression kit (93mm / 10:5.1) with a 1mm bore up to a 540cc. But it does not apprear to come with a sleeve? I can only find a 92mm sleeve thought.
Parts are listed below.

Im expecting to be into it about $3-500 with the engine alone. But. I have no idea how to put a new cam chain into it. Any ideas of where i can take the bike into (Somewhere in colorado) that can do it cheap? Or any of my fellow inmates that can do it for me? (With pay of course)

---Parts i have found---
- http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-par...da-xr500-83-84
- http://www.xrsonly.com/parts-categor...m-10-5-1-540cc

I cant find a 93mm sleeve to go with the 93mm big bore piston kit. And i cant find a 92mm (STD) piston kit to go with the 92mm bore. Can anyone help me track one down?

Thanks for the help guys!!!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #33
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the timing replacement on a XL600R. I know it will be a little different but will i be able to go off of this to replace my cam chain?
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #34
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
cam chains are the same for the 83/4 XR5 and the XL6, and the dual carb XR6. That chain from XRs only is the only one I was able to find new. No problems with that part.

Cheapest black diamond valves for the big bore RFVC (all the same except for the GB500) can be bought from Lukes Racing, but I had to wait for awhile for the valves to be restocked. If they don't have them in stock for immediate shipment and you need them now, look elsewhere and pay more.
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=KWVHBD
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=KWVHBD

Here are three oversized pistons on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISECO-PISTO...-/360386022418
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR500-...-/230670636690
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Wiseco-P...-/350423411782

I used Arvada cycles for cylinder boring.
http://www.arvadacycle.com/
He was cheapest when I had this work done awhile back. I'm sure there are others. I did ask if he did head work and he does, but I had my valve seat head work done on a trade with someone who works exclusively on Harley heads.
I'm not sure you can get it all done for less than $500. So prove me wrong

Check the teflon bushings inside the fork housings for wear. If they are worn (most likely), then I think your best bet is to update the forks with newer XR600 versions. 91/2 XR6 forks should bolt up to existing front axle and triple clamp. This is a straight swap. The 91/2 have bushings that are easier to replace, come with cartridge inserts, and also have adjustment of compression. 93 and up XR6/XRL use the larger axle which would require you to chase down some other parts to make the wheel work.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #35
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
will a 140/80 fit an 85 xr500?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #36
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Who has a 85 XR500? Around here, Honda sold a XR600 for the 85 model year. The 84 XR500 (last year XR5) and the 85 XR600 have 17" rear wheels with drum brake.

I run a 130/90 on my 84 XR500. It just fits with the stock mud guard which has a plastic extension on the left side that goes down past the chain. I don't think a 140 will fit unless the mud guard is modified or replaced.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #37
2muchtime
Adventurer

I am on the same boat here. I need to have my stock cylinder rebore. Any suggestions for a west coast machine shop ?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #38
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime View Post
I am on the same boat here. I need to have my stock cylinder rebore. Any suggestions for a west coast machine shop ?
What year xr5 is it?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
2muchtime
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
what year xr5 is it?
'83
Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #40
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Thumb

...as beast nr.I want run- we think its a timing chain or ignition advancer problem- i bought a second one in hungary- completed the bike with parts from the other one- some new plastics- new mx tires - and yes im happy- beast nr II runs !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8QS6C4PYI
Attached Images

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #41
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
I think lilsmokey sold his bike. I saw an ad on Craigs with a link to his thread here on ADV. FYI

Here are my XR500Rs:

The dual sported 84:

The 83 built back to running from parts n pieces:

Here is what the 83 looked like when I got it and another 84 for $100:

Did you repaint the frame on your '84 DS and your '83? If not they are in remarkable shape! If my XR had a title (Going to persue after its rebuilt) I would try to do something like your DS but sadly im going to just get it trail ready first. Im also trying to go back to all stock now. NO big bore or anything. When i get home ill post some of the links I found for parts.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #42
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are a few of the photos of our last trip that i took with my phone. Camera broke and have no way to upload stuff from memory card.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #43
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
Did you repaint the frame on your '84 DS and your '83? If not they are in remarkable shape! If my XR had a title (Going to persue after its rebuilt) I would try to do something like your DS but sadly im going to just get it trail ready first. Im also trying to go back to all stock now. NO big bore or anything. When i get home ill post some of the links I found for parts.
I had to paint my frames because I did some welding repairs on several cracks. The rear engine/trans mount was cracked on all three of my frames. I also had small cracks in the air box and seat cross members. The right foot peg mount was hammered and one frame required re-welding in this area.

This part of the rebuild didn't go well for me. At the time I was in a hurry to finish up the bikes and ride in the summer with an out of town friend. Well, that never happened, so my rush job was for nothing

I used the chevy engine red rattle can paint from the auto parts store. I'm pretty sure the number on the can is 1607. That paint color does match the original very closely, but its not exact. Also, I should have used a top clear coat to help seal it up, this paint is not very good. I wouldn't do it this way again.

Next time I'll do what I should have done and blast the frames perfectly clean and then have it powder coated properly. Harborfreight has a cheap hand held blaster that would be perfect for this kind of work. You need an air compressor, obviously

If you look at my photos carefully you might notice that the rear swingarms are also painted with some Rustoleum galvanized stuff that I had unused/leftover from another project. That is just a quick and not very pretty coat after spending little time to remove the larger surface rust on the steel swingarms. I'm planning on converting/upgrading to aluminum swingarms which will save between 2 to 4 pounds. Its not a straight swap however, because Honda changed the link/dog bone mounting point on the frame. But the dimensions/angles didn't change between the steel and aluminum types (XR5 to 85-87 XR6).

The pro-link XR500R sticker on the 83 swingarm was still good, so I masked that off and kept it.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #44
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238

[/QUOTE]
Beautiful mountain views!
Used by cableway (ski lift) for skiers in winter?

Alpine Skiing in winter is like a motorcycle in the summer (my feelings)
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #45
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post

Beautiful mountain views!
Used by cableway (ski lift) for skiers in winter?

Alpine Skiing in winter is like a motorcycle in the summer (my feelings)[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy!

Yep and with the altitude and the time of year i rode up there i was surprised not to see much snow. The run next to the ski lift started at about 12,500 feet at the bottom but once you got to the top my GPS read about 12,725. To get to the top it was about a 10 minute ride in 1st and 2nd gear. Definitely one of the longer ski lift access roads ive been on. And the other picture with my XR500 and my brothers (and inmate) 1993 Kawi KLX650. We were above timberline around 12,500-13,000ft and my bike was handeling it flawlessly. We were in a pack of 5 and the xr did pretty good.

Im wishing I could also get into skiing or snowboarding so I can fill up my winters. But sadly trials and trail riding pretty much destroy my budget for anything else.

When I re welded the frame near the airbox (Common spot for breaks?) I just did a little rattly can job with bright orange. Once I get the chance ill redo the whole frame (I work at a auto body/paint show so I have no shortage of supplies) as well as making a fender rack and some other work.